Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2018, 09:18 PM   #1
mikem101
Registered Member

Flow Ideas???

Hey guys wanted to know everyones thoughts on this idea! I was talking to a local reefer about flow. I had my power heads on the top of my tank point down at an angle. which I would say is a more "traditional" way of setting it up. He said he locates his about 1/3 to 1/2 down his tank and points them towards the surface. He said this creates flow all through out the tank pulling from underneath and pushes up, also creates a lot of surface agitation for oxygen exchange. Ive been trying this the last couple weeks and seems to be working WAY better than pushing water from top to bottom? what's everyones thoughts on this idea?

mikem101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 02:16 AM   #2
snulma1
Registered Member

This works great for surface agitation but then it creates low flow spots at the bottom of your tank and will allow for crud to accumulate

One way to get the best of both worlds is to aim the power heads at each other, the flow will deflect in multiple directions and create surface agitation along with flow down low.

snulma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 08:21 PM   #3
mikem101
Registered Member

So far I've given it a shot! I am putting them about half way down the tank, and pointing them at an upward angle and directly at each other, Coral seem to be loving it more so than my other setup.

mikem101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 04:32 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I get the maximum exchange when dropping water from 2", like a water fall.
Yet to beat this method and PH went from 8.1 to 8.4
Let in one fresh air as well.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote