Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2016, 04:31 PM   #1
tlc
Registered Member

9012 dc skimmer question

I just purchased the 9012 dc skimmer. what is the difference when you use the pump as a contact skimmer or they way it comes set from the factory ?

tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 08:02 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Can you clarify what you are referring to? The 9012 only works one way, it has no way to change from diffusion to contact like our older skimmer models did. 9001 does have a setting by pump orientation, but 9012 does not.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 01:04 PM   #3
tlc
Registered Member

I haven't received the skimmer yet but I did go to the tunze website to look at the owners manual. on page 26 it states that the skimmer can be used as a contact skimmer by removing a piece on the skimmer pump ( illustration 2 ). I am trying to figure out what is the difference between running it as a contact skimmer or they way it came from the factory. thanks for the quick response.

Unread 10/28/2016, 01:27 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

OK, I had not seen that, it is a revision. There is a cap on the pump that if removed causes a recirculation within the skimmer. The reason to do this would be it reduces how much water is drawn in and the skimmer is more passive, waste is removed by diffusing in across the osmotic gradient of cleaner water in the skimmer vs outside. This makes for a more plankton friendly skimming process as less is put through the pump, but it also means waster removal happens at a slower pace.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 10/28/2016, 02:12 PM   #5
tlc
Registered Member

good to know. I look forward to using this skimmer

Unread 11/15/2016, 04:59 PM   #6
Relativity
Registered Member

Can I run this in a sump or no

Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 09:25 AM   #7
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is not impossible but it requires a constant water level of 10-11", the 9410 is generally better for a sump.

Unread 11/16/2016, 03:20 PM   #8
Relativity
Registered Member

The tunze 3155 keeps the water level at the same position correct. I have about 120 gallons of water on my tank. The 9410 just seems to small for my system.
I don't really want to change filter bags out.
Im not sure what Im going to do I like the new reef octopus elite skimmers the features like shut off when cup is full is nice.
To many options I don't know what to do

Last edited by Relativity; 11/16/2016 at 03:22 PM. Reason: wrong skimmer
Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 03:17 PM   #9
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The 9410 and 9410DC also stop skimming when the cup is full, the air pressure cannot escape and the foam head is forced down. The filter bag is like a plankton net, not a sock, it is rinse and reuse, it could be omitted but it is mostly a bubble trap and place to add carbon or phosphate remover.

Unread 12/02/2016, 09:57 AM   #10
SoCalE
Registered Member

So I've just installed the 9012DC last night. Not sure if this is normal, although I see a lot of foam (depending on the air input adjustment), I'm not seeing any water movement at the surface. Unless the tiny particles are like a couple mm from the skimmer grill (surface skimming input portion), it won't get sucked in.

At this point, I don't know how this is rated for a large tank with practically no water movement whatsoever. It seems like the skimmer would take days just to process one gallon. The air is currently set to about 30%, too high and it fills the cup in no time. Is this how the skimmer is supposed to behave?

SoCalE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2016, 10:23 AM   #11
smatter
Registered Member

Can you see a distinct waterfall effect into the intake grill of the skimmer? If not you have it mounted to deep. raise it up so that the water is 1/4-1/3 up the grill.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2016, 10:24 AM   #12
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Raising the skimmer will solve both issues, you will get a much more aggressive surface skimming and the foam will dry out, on the DC model 40% is about equal to the AC model at full power, the pump will generally be run in the 20-40% range. When the skimmer is submerged more deeply the surface skimming suffers as water enters and exits the intake instead of flowing top to bottom. When you get the depth right, you will see an actual waterfall form into the skimmer, no more than 1/2 the intake should be submerged and the best results are usually around 1/4 submerged.

Unread 12/03/2016, 12:19 PM   #13
SoCalE
Registered Member

Okay, the skimmer was positioned where the osmolator line is at the water level which is roughly half way up the intake. I've played with the position of the skimmer up a bit, where 1/4 - 1/3 of the intake is submerged in the water. I can see the waterfall effect beneath the water surface (don't see it from above). I didn't check the waterfall effect prior to moving the skimmer because I was only looking from above the surface and didn't see anything.

Anyway, from below the surface, I can see micro bubbles and small particles slowly entering the intake. Most times, it appears that the small particles that got sucked in goes right back out. It's as if though it entered from one slit and out another. Also, from the surface, I'm still not seeing much water movement, if any.

Is this how it's supposed to operate? I think the airline bubble water intake for my HOB breeder box can pull in water faster than this skimmer.

SoCalE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2016, 12:51 PM   #14
smatter
Registered Member

You aren't going to see water movement outside the skimmer. If you can see a waterfall going into the intake when you look through the front of the tank it's skimming the surface. All that water you see spilling in there is being processed.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 10:33 AM   #15
rvitko
RC Sponsor

If what you see going in, comes back out, it is still submerged too deep, since the DC one allows you to control the pump speed, you decrease both air and water flow proportionally. This is generally better for skimming as you always keep a 2 to 1 water to air ratio, but it means less water draw at low speeds than on the AC model where you only control the air. I would try raising it further. You will be able to tell if it is too high as the pump will make a racket and won't get enough water.

Unread 03/06/2018, 01:19 PM   #16
bluefronted
Registered Member

Hi Roger.

Was the 9012 dc designed to be used in sump or in main tank.
Will it be a good choice for a 1000L tank.

thanks

bluefronted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 02:26 PM   #17
rvitko
RC Sponsor

In tank, the 9410 DC would be the sump equivalent. For 1000 liters it depends on what you plan to keep. I use one in my tank which is about 750 liters and I mainly keep montiporas. If you plan mostly soft corals or LPS it should work fine.

Unread 03/06/2018, 11:18 PM   #18
bluefronted
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Roger

bluefronted is offline   Reply With Quote