Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2017, 12:34 PM   #1
Zephrant
Premium Member

Brine Shrimp feeder station (3D print)

This is based off of the designs by Paul_B on ReefCentral and others in this thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2113800

The premise is that brine shrimp (baby or young one) are placed inside this unit, then the unit is put in the tank for Mandarins, Seahorses and other slow feeders can eat the shrimp though the net. The net keeps the shrimp from escaping in to the filters of the system.

This model is magnetically attached, so the user can fill it, deploy it on the side of the aquarium, and retrieve it.

Use some fine Tulle or other fine mesh (pantyhose) to cover the ring, then press the ring in to the lid. Apply some super glue if needed, and trim away the excess.

Use a 32mm x 2mm rare earth magnet. Cover the magnet holder lids with a thin film of aquarium sealant, then press in the magnets. Give it another coat and make sure to coat the edges of the lids. Press the lids/magnets in to the base and the external magnet holder, and clamp closed with a spring clamp or similar. Allow to dry for 24 hours.

I don't yet know how long the magnets will last, it depends on what you printed this in and how well you seal it. I've used spray-on Plastidip to coat magnets, but with only a few weeks of use I don't have any long term reliability information. If they fail, I'll update this site.

Files if you'd like to print your own:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2692105

Zephrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Zephrant
Premium Member

Printed in Transparent Blue PETG:

(Note, the external battery holder is not shown, will get a picture of it later.)

Unread 12/05/2017, 06:29 PM   #3
windlasher
Registered Member

Can I ask a question about brine shrimp eggs?

So I know they sell eggs ready to hatch and that you are supposed to put them in tank water with an airstone. Once they hatch, you are supposed to suck out the shrimp and feed.

Whats the point of all that? Why can't I just dump a teaspoon full of eggs into my already oxygenated sump and let them hatch? Most will eventually get sucked up and eaten in the tank right? Or am I missing something? Thanks

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 12:21 PM   #4
Zephrant
Premium Member

They take 24-48 hours to hatch. Unless you have extremely poor filtration, they will have been removed before they get a chance to hatch. A seahorse or other slow feeder will not get much out of that setup.

The eggs have hard shells that can actually choke tiny fish (fry), and I suspect they are not very digestible. Although fish may eat them they are not going to get nutrition from them.

But yes, you could add them to the sump and maybe get some value out of it, for extremely low effort. But hatching them in a 2L soda bottle hatchery is much better.

Unread 12/06/2017, 01:31 PM   #5
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephrant View Post
They take 24-48 hours to hatch. Unless you have extremely poor filtration, they will have been removed before they get a chance to hatch. A seahorse or other slow feeder will not get much out of that setup.

The eggs have hard shells that can actually choke tiny fish (fry), and I suspect they are not very digestible. Although fish may eat them they are not going to get nutrition from them.

But yes, you could add them to the sump and maybe get some value out of it, for extremely low effort. But hatching them in a 2L soda bottle hatchery is much better.
Cool. Thx. That’s helpful.

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote