Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 05:44 PM   #1
PitViper
Registered Member

Green algae and black hair algae.

I’ve had my tank set up for about 3 weeks. Tank has cycled and the brown diatom is gone. The green algae and the black hair algae hasn’t gone away. Please help what do I do?

PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 06:00 PM   #2
ramseynb
Registered Member

Try removing as much as possible by hand and add a clean up crew. I'm not sure how big your tank is, but Mexican Turbo snails or urchins are good for GHA. Both can be bulldozers though and urchins will eat coralline algae too (and plastic and silicone). If you have a large tank, you can look into a tang or rabbitfish.

What your tank is going through is normal. Just keep up with water changes, reduce your photo period and add some snails.

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 06:04 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Not enough info to give you feedback.
Tank size
Live rock?
Nitrate?
Phosphate?
Ammonia?

3 weeks seems very early to be through the ugliness?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 06:05 PM   #4
AlSimmons
Registered Member

The link below might help.

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 06:39 PM   #5
PitViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Not enough info to give you feedback.
Tank size
Live rock?
Nitrate?
Phosphate?
Ammonia?

3 weeks seems very early to be through the ugliness?

10 gallon because that’s all I had. With a Fluval 206 canister filter. Nitrates are 0. Ammonia is 0. Phosphates have no clue. Live rock all four pieces. Two are plain white live rock and two already covered in coralline algae.

Unread 03/21/2018, 06:41 PM   #6
PitViper
Registered Member

Also have one fish and three turbos

Unread 03/21/2018, 07:07 PM   #7
Trigger Tough
Registered Member

Phosphates are hard to read sometimes because the algae is eating them up

I’d get rid of any mechanical filtration in your filter and replace it with phosphate removing substrate. Your tank is still young and going though cycles though. Give it 6 months or so and it should clear up

A lawnmower Blenny would help too

Trigger Tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 07:14 PM   #8
ramseynb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Tough View Post

I’d get rid of any mechanical filtration in your filter and replace it with phosphate removing substrate. Your tank is still young and going though cycles though. Give it 6 months or so and it should clear up

A lawnmower Blenny is too big for 10G IMO. Maybe look at a tail-spot blenny if you want an algae eating fish.

Unread 03/21/2018, 07:37 PM   #9
PitViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Tough View Post

Could I just maybe put the phosphate remover directly into the tank? I opened up the filter once already and it was a pain in the *** to say the least. BUT if I can’t then that’s ok. What is a good phosphate remover? I’ve heard a lot about the sea-chem stuff. And I agree also about a lawnmower blenny.

Unread 03/21/2018, 07:41 PM   #10
ramseynb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
Could I just maybe put the phosphate remover directly into the tank? I opened up the filter once already and it was a pain in the *** to say the least. BUT if I can’t then that’s ok. What is a good phosphate remover? I’ve heard a lot about the sea-chem stuff. And I agree also about a lawnmower blenny.
It depends on the remover. There's a product called PhostphateRX or something like that that's a liquid that removes phosphate and another called NOpOx from Redsea that's a liquid nitrate and phosphate remover. If you're talking about GFO or some other media, then I would not put it in my tank.

Yeah, I hated a canister filter when I briefly used one. You'd probably be better off with a hang on back reactor and skimmer or something.

Unread 03/22/2018, 07:36 AM   #11
PitViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramseynb View Post
It depends on the remover. There's a product called PhostphateRX or something like that that's a liquid that removes phosphate and another called NOpOx from Redsea that's a liquid nitrate and phosphate remover. If you're talking about GFO or some other media, then I would not put it in my tank.

Yeah, I hated a canister filter when I briefly used one. You'd probably be better off with a hang on back reactor and skimmer or something.

Ok so this is my tank. As you can see the green algae on the left and right WHITE rocks only. Although the snails have gotten ahold of the algae and have diminished the amount quite drastically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/22/2018, 08:06 AM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Totally normal... and oh so minor..
Nothing is wrong.. Nothing is out of the ordinary..
It will go away in time.. 3 weeks is hardly sufficient..
Typically 3 weeks isn't even long enough for a tank with dry rock to cycle on its own.. Then you have weeks/month or 2 after that for the ugly stages to subside..

Just keep up with normal tank maintenance (typically 20% water change every 2 weeks) and it can/will pass.. You clean up crew will also do work on it but they can't do it all overnight..

Patience..

Unread 03/22/2018, 08:12 AM   #13
PitViper
Registered Member

Ok good. I just wanted to let you guys see what I was seeing. Give an idea. As long as nothing to worry about then I’m happy

Unread 03/22/2018, 08:12 AM   #14
nereefpat
Registered Member

I agree that is SOOOO far from an algae problem, and that is a really young tank.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 08:37 AM   #15
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

keep in mind that NoPox is a form of carbon dosing which feeds the bacteria increasing populations which in turn results with lower nitrate and phosphates.
There are products like agent green which is an LC which binds with the phosphate.
Both need skimming to work appropriately.

You need neither at this time, just sit back, should get a a lot uglier.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 01:49 PM   #16
Timfish
Registered Member

+1 to Mcgyvr and Nereefpat. FYI You may have already cycled but for a reef system to mature it takes 8 - 12 months. I would be adding easy animals like mushrooms soft/leather corals and easy stony corals appropriate for your lighting levels

Unread 03/23/2018, 02:22 PM   #17
PitViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
+1 to Mcgyvr and Nereefpat. FYI You may have already cycled but for a reef system to mature it takes 8 - 12 months. I would be adding easy animals like mushrooms soft/leather corals and easy stony corals appropriate for your lighting levels

Yea. I’m just trying to figure out what kind of coral can handle the bulbs I got for the fixture. Corallife 50/50 50% 10k white light and 50% actinic blue

Unread 03/24/2018, 12:51 AM   #18
Lsufan
Registered Member

I agree, no need to worry because it is totally normal. I would not go adding stuff like gfo unless u know u have a phosphate issue. If u plan on corals it can do more harm then good. For whatever reason people think they are supposed to use gfo. So they do, then turn around & can’t figure out why the coral isn’t thriving & growing.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 08:07 AM   #19
PitViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
I agree, no need to worry because it is totally normal. I would not go adding stuff like gfo unless u know u have a phosphate issue. If u plan on corals it can do more harm then good. For whatever reason people think they are supposed to use gfo. So they do, then turn around & can’t figure out why the coral isn’t thriving & growing.

At the expense of sounding dumb. What is this GFO that you are talking about. Seen it all over but don’t have a clue what it is.