Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2015, 01:05 PM   #76
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfgonzo View Post
He's has his own aquarium separate from my reef tank. I've had reef tanks for 20 years and never set up a predator tank but always wanted one. So finally last year my wife and I decided to go for it. The only thing that made me nervous at first was we have two children and I wanted to make sure they can't get anywhere near the aquarium so I actually installed locks on the canopy for piece of mind.
I love eels. Back in the early 90's, I had a 5' green moray that loved to be handled. He loved having his chin rubbed and sides scratched. He was like a big slimy puppy dog. I got rid of him when I switched over to reef and have missed him ever since. Last week I set out on a mission to track what happened to him and after some research, I found the owner who acquired him after me. It's been 20 years now and I'm sure he has long since passed away but if I came across him again, I'd setup a tank just for him. He was by far the coolest fish I've ever owned. I even swam in the tank with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggledRock View Post
Awesome! Nice to see you round these parts!

I appreciate all your great info on the videos I see you on and I want to thank you!

=)

Also I Hope Jim is doing well and his tank hasnt had ICH rear its ugly head again lol
I will be seeing Jim later today. I'm meeting him at one of his customers to trouble shoot an RKE issue that seems to have caused a heater to stick on on a customer tank. I think those ich issues are behind him unless this tank in question breaks out in it from the 88* temp spike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
Slief, I don't mind telling you that iguana freaks me out
This iguana follows me around and will jump right into my lap. I don't think it realizes it's an iguana and instead thinks it's one of us or the dogs.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 01:07 PM   #77
Mishri
Registered Member

Don't worry OP. Everyone told me 12 years ago that I shouldn't put a pac blue tang in my 55 gallon tank, and I certainly shouldn't have tried to cure it's lateral line disease (got the fish for like $10 because of it) as a novice. And look, everything was going swimmingly, until I somehow poisoned the tank and most of my fish died. I still never figured out what happened, just saw the water was all cloudy... I was living with others at the time so maybe one of them did it. I was planning on selling the pac blue for a profit after I cured it, or getting a larger tank.

Anyway.. point is.. I'm sure I could have told them all I told you so if something else hadn't killed it first Small tangs in small tanks will work as long as you have plan for their future as you do. But like they said, you'll see that aggression soon enough and you'll need to yank them as soon as you see it. You can get plenty of enjoyment for a time. You aren't at the "I told you so" stage yet though.

@slief looks like good speakers.. I'm a bit of a home theater junkie... running definitive technology 8080-ST 5.1 with samsung 7 series 240hz led 55" 3dtv... considering an upgrade on the speakers, sounds great, but now I want more Since I'm getting back into reefs again(bought 2 new tanks, been running my 24g for 2 years now) I probably wont have money for anything more than going up to 7.1 with the current setup.

Last edited by Mishri; 01/21/2015 at 01:26 PM.
Mishri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 01:27 PM   #78
d2mini
Registered Member

Yesterday.... thread sucked.

Today... thread is awesome.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 01:31 PM   #79
Fade2White12
Registered Member

Quote:
Slief, I don't mind telling you that iguana freaks me out
I had a friend that had one about that size. Every morning, he would put the iguana in the tub with like an inch of warm water. It made the iguana almost immediately relieve itself. And then it was ready to rock and roll around the house for the day.

Slief: Nice pants, bruh.

Fade2White12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 01:33 PM   #80
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Last week I set out on a mission to track what happened to him
i'm now on a mission to find me some of them there fancy pants.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 01:33 PM   #81
gone fishin
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Fade2White12;23433406] It made the iguana almost immediately relieve itself. And then it was ready to rock and roll around the house for the day.[/QUOTE

I can relate to that.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 01:36 PM   #82
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2White12 View Post
I had a friend that had one about that size. Every morning, he would put the iguana in the tub with like an inch of warm water. It made the iguana almost immediately relieve itself. And then it was ready to rock and roll around the house for the day.

Slief: Nice pants, bruh.
Warm water is always a recipe for a good bowl movement in a reptile. To house iguana's I use water in a litter box. It works every time once you find their favorite place to go to the bathroom.

Hey, don't knock the pants! They were the in thing back in the early 90's.. I was styling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
i'm now on a mission to find me some of them there fancy pants.
Check salvation army!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 01/21/2015, 01:43 PM   #83
gone fishin
Registered Member

I feel like I am in the Lounge annex.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
Unread 01/21/2015, 01:45 PM   #84
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

LOL tony! hope we don't get in trouble.

Quote:
Thanks. I've always had a soft spot for unual pets whether it was snakes, tortoises, eels, sharks, ferrets etc but I love our dane the most. She is such a sweetheart. You have quite a zoo yourself! Beautiful danes too! Your pot belly's are little porkers aren't they? We were considering a pygmy one but like with most pot belly's, you just never know how large they will end up unless you pay a premium for them.

My cousin in Florida just recently acquired a little pot belly. He loves the thing. I just wish their hair wasn't so stiff. One of these days we might add one to our menagerie.
sorry, i referred to your dane as a boy. i figured it was a male since the males are the biggest sissies LOL! anyhoo, your GIRL is beautiful, love her markings. did you raise her from a puppy?

i have a soft spot for senior dogs. both of my danes have been with me for about 5 years, they are both 8 years old. they are always up for a good romp in the fields but for the most part, they sleep. and snore!

yeah, there are a lot of unscrupulous pbp breeders who will sell you a 3# piglet and tell you to only feed it 1/4 cup of food a day. naturally, that piggy will stay small because lack of nutrition will stunt it. lilly and harley were both house pigs. they got big and destructive. they get that way because they get so bored. they're so smart, they need a lot of stimulation or they'll destroy a house. i've seen pictures of houses where pigs have torn up carpet, eaten drywall, gnawed on furniture. they are perpetual toddlers! never will i have one IN the house. they do fine outside, even in bitter cold temps, as long as they have a deep straw bed inside a barn to snuggle in. mine sleep in a big pile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Yesterday.... thread sucked.

Today... thread is awesome.
ikr!?! i love seeing other peoples' dogs and turtles and lizards and there is one guy who posts in the lounge who has a pot bellied pig.

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 01:52 PM   #85
rlm2005
Registered Member

This thread has taken a turn for the better. Love the pigs Nina. I've thought about one in the past but after doing some research I decided they are not for me. They are really cute though.

65 gallon mixed reef
rlm2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 01:58 PM   #86
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina51 View Post
LOL tony! hope we don't get in trouble.

sorry, i referred to your dane as a boy. i figured it was a male since the males are the biggest sissies LOL! anyhoo, your GIRL is beautiful, love her markings. did you raise her from a puppy?

i have a soft spot for senior dogs. both of my danes have been with me for about 5 years, they are both 8 years old. they are always up for a good romp in the fields but for the most part, they sleep. and snore!

yeah, there are a lot of unscrupulous pbp breeders who will sell you a 3# piglet and tell you to only feed it 1/4 cup of food a day. naturally, that piggy will stay small because lack of nutrition will stunt it. lilly and harley were both house pigs. they got big and destructive. they get that way because they get so bored. they're so smart, they need a lot of stimulation or they'll destroy a house. i've seen pictures of houses where pigs have torn up carpet, eaten drywall, gnawed on furniture. they are perpetual toddlers! never will i have one IN the house. they do fine outside, even in bitter cold temps, as long as they have a deep straw bed inside a barn to snuggle in. mine sleep in a big pile.

We've had her since she was a little pup. We got her from a local breeder. The blue harlequin is kind of a rare mutation. She's a big baby. by they way, our dane is named Harley. :beers:

Unread 01/21/2015, 02:18 PM   #87
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
I'm a bit of a home theater junkie and have been as long as I can remember.
Seems like quite a few reefers are also into audio/video - I certainly am. You think keeping a reef tank is a money pit, try high end audio/video. Yikes!

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 02:54 PM   #88
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Seems like quite a few reefers are also into audio/video - I certainly am. You think keeping a reef tank is a money pit, try high end audio/video. Yikes!
Isn't that the truth! Fortunately, my tank and it's budget is much bigger than my home theater. While both are money pits, my home theater ain't got nothing on my reef tank.

Unread 01/21/2015, 03:23 PM   #89
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlm2005 View Post
This thread has taken a turn for the better. Love the pigs Nina. I've thought about one in the past but after doing some research I decided they are not for me. They are really cute though.
they're adorable when they're little.
 photo arnold-1.jpg

but, let's be honest...
 photo Arnoldpool.jpg
 photo roflmao.gif

when i got harley, it was turning cold. had to put a coat on him till he got acclimated to the weather.
 photo Harleycoat.jpg

Quote:
We've had her since she was a little pup. We got her from a local breeder. The blue harlequin is kind of a rare mutation. She's a big baby. by they way, our dane is named Harley. :beers:
yes, it's an unusual color. i know one other person who has a blue harl and he's gorgeous.

this was pea's first dane sit. she saw ashley do it and thought she'd give it a try.
 photo PeaAshleycouch.jpg

she was hilarious when she started coming out of her shell. she wasn't so sure about this getting on the furniture stuff. took her a while to figure it out.
 photo AshleyPeapillow.jpg

it wasn't unusual to see ashley sitting up, sound asleep.
 photo Ashleycouch2-1.jpg

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Unread 01/21/2015, 03:30 PM   #90
gone fishin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina51 View Post

it wasn't unusual to see ashley sitting up, sound asleep.
 photo Ashleycouch2-1.jpg
That could be some of my Co-workers.

Unread 01/21/2015, 03:38 PM   #91
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Isn't that the truth! Fortunately, my tank and it's budget is much bigger than my home theater. While both are money pits, my home theater ain't got nothing on my reef tank.
Well, apparently, that's because you have some self control .... I actually paid more for my main speakers than I have spent in aggregate over the last ten years of reefing.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 03:45 PM   #92
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Well, apparently, that's because you have some self control .... I actually paid more for my main speakers than I have spent in aggregate over the last ten years of reefing.
What did you get? Bang & Olufsen's? I used to spend a fortune on that stuff but have found that I'm quite happy with the middle ground speakers. Especially considering my home theater room is tiled making it not ideal for sound as it reflects a lot. It still sounds good though. I used to be heavy into the high end car audio scene and spent a lot of time designing systems that I competed with. Glad those days are long behind me as I still have some hearing left.

Unread 01/21/2015, 03:49 PM   #93
Mishri
Registered Member

about 7 years ago I started my most expensive hobby... I thought high-end gaming computers and reef aquariums were expensive.. then I got into Drag Racing.. that's where the majority of my money goes... my home theater hobby can't even compete with that... I'm not changing my drag racing setup for next season though so I'll have money to play with (as long as I don't blow anything up that is -I shouldn't it's fairly tame)

Mishri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 04:20 PM   #94
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Reefing's cheap compared to my fishing addiction. Wait a minute... No wonder I'm always broke!

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 05:31 PM   #95
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

Quote:
That could be some of my Co-workers.
it could also be some of my defendants!

Tags
110 gallon, clown tang, purple tang, reef tank, tang