Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2020, 05:14 PM   #1
SouthFla
Registered Member

My first reef turning 5, some pics!

As I’m coming up on my 5 year anniversary of my 125G mixed reef, I wanted to post a FTS and a few close-ups photos from today as a big “THANK YOU!” to RC. This forum was my entire introduction to reefing and a source for all of my learning, and I can’t state enough how the knowledge herein and the members support has benefited me and my tank over the years.

As this was my first mixed reef, I didn’t really try for any difficult or flashy SPS corals (and I’m only running 5 T5s in my hood), but instead I have just a mix of mostly easy keeping SPS and LPS and some gorgonians. But I’m still really proud of the tank, warts and all, and I think I’m most proud of my fish mates as they are all entering their 5th year of captivity. I completely credit the QT I learned at RC and the strict quarantining and TTM so strongly promoted here as the reason for their health.

Anyway, I hope this finds everyone healthy and safe, all my best, John.

Inhabitants:
Bicolor Angel
Coral Beauty
Kole Tang
Melanarus Wrasse
Flame Hawkfish
Toby Puffer
Trio of damsels
Royal Gramma (started w/3 babies, after 3+ years two disappeared )

In the beginning:

Today:

Current Tank Info: 125G reef, Alk ~8.1, Ca 410, Mg 1350, 1.025SG

Last edited by SouthFla; 04/28/2020 at 05:20 PM.
SouthFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2020, 05:16 PM   #2
hegeh
Registered Member

Beautiful! Well done mate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hegeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2020, 06:18 PM   #3
lionfish300
Registered Member

Congrat well done

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2020, 02:11 AM   #4
Tastee
Registered Member

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2020, 09:25 AM   #5
mapleredta
Reef addict

Dosing anything?

mapleredta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2020, 09:59 AM   #6
SouthFla
Registered Member

Thanks folks :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleredta View Post
Dosing anything?
Apex runs an Alk and Ca doser 24/7 alternating every 1/2 hour. Right now my amounts are about 200ml/day for each. I also manually dose Mg if/when needed to keep at 1300's.

Unread 04/29/2020, 10:04 AM   #7
Registered Member

Very impressive indeed!

907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2020, 10:20 AM   #8
tailgamerllc
Registered Member

Approximately how long after setting up the tank did you have to start dosing? My tank is at year 1 and corals have been added over the course of the last 3 months. Im trying to anticipate when the demand for more of the trace elements will increase to the point i will have to dose?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tailgamerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2020, 11:57 AM   #9
SouthFla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgamerllc View Post
Approximately how long after setting up the tank did you have to start dosing? My tank is at year 1 and corals have been added over the course of the last 3 months. I'm trying to anticipate when the demand for more of the trace elements will increase to the point i will have to dose?
Once I had a few corals in the tank, I started using Kalkwasser in my ATO to stabilize Alk and Ca, and ran that way for about a year or so. But it became too difficult to maintain steady levels of Alk/Ca because the dosing was dependent upon the evaporation rate and input of makeup water from the ATO. So about 2 years in I switch to separately dosing Alk and Ca using two small BRS dosers connected to gallon jugs and controlled by the Apex-WAAAAY easier and considerably more stable and less messy!

Just keep monitoring your Alk and Ca; once water changes can't maintain steady levels, they you can try Kalk in your ATO and/or dosers. If I had to do it again I would have gone straight to dosers and skipped the Kalk.

The "big boys" skip all of that and go right to Ca Reactors, but that's out of my league...

Unread 04/29/2020, 12:08 PM   #10
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Absolutely stunning!

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2020, 01:06 PM   #11
tailgamerllc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFla View Post
Once I had a few corals in the tank, I started using Kalkwasser in my ATO to stabilize Alk and Ca, and ran that way for about a year or so. But it became too difficult to maintain steady levels of Alk/Ca because the dosing was dependent upon the evaporation rate and input of makeup water from the ATO. So about 2 years in I switch to separately dosing Alk and Ca using two small BRS dosers connected to gallon jugs and controlled by the Apex-WAAAAY easier and considerably more stable and less messy!

Just keep monitoring your Alk and Ca; once water changes can't maintain steady levels, they you can try Kalk in your ATO and/or dosers. If I had to do it again I would have gone straight to dosers and skipped the Kalk.

The "big boys" skip all of that and go right to Ca Reactors, but that's out of my league...
Thanks. I gave a dosing pump but i haven't had a need to use it yet. I will stat monitoring my Alk an CA on a more frequent basis.

Unread 04/29/2020, 01:07 PM   #12
tailgamerllc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgamerllc View Post
Thanks. I gave a dosing pump but i haven't had a need to use it yet. I will stat monitoring my Alk an CA on a more frequent basis.

That is a beautiful tank. I hope my tank will look like yours in a few years

Unread 04/29/2020, 03:50 PM   #13
Galantra
Giving my All

Looks amazing you got a lot of great growth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: Working on a couple of things
Galantra is offline   Reply With Quote