Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2012, 08:29 AM   #1
zmach95
Registered Member

First time trigger owner, please help

I sold my corals and I'm looking to buy a

Humu Picasso Trigger
Harlequin Tusk
Dogface Puffer
Maroon clown
Maybe a princess parrot.

I have a 125 gallon tank with ample live rock and I'm in the process of moving all my shrimp into my sump tank along with my snails and hermit crabs. Unless they won't eat my cleaner shrimp. I already have a foxface and a yellow spotted goby alone with a cleaner wrasse.

I plan on introducing all my new fish at the same time at a small size.

Can a foxface survive in that kind of tank?

Let me know your thoughts and concerns, thanks.

zmach95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 01:03 PM   #2
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

I won't comment on the FF, I haven't kept one in years. You have several fish that will scarf any invert or small fish. My tusks would gladly eat a 3" goby. A small M. Clown would be in trouble too; but you can find adult female maroons (maybe the most territorial fish that swims) that should be OK. The trigger will too, once it grows. Finding a small H.Tusk is almost impossible; especially the much nicer Australian variety. (Wonderful fish!) But even a large HT will not usually bother anyone, they aren't wussy, but keep to themselves. I'd really do some research on the P. Parrot. These are really tough to feed and need tons of algae for grazing and many starve to death.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 04:29 PM   #3
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuskfish View Post
I won't comment on the FF, I haven't kept one in years. You have several fish that will scarf any invert or small fish. My tusks would gladly eat a 3" goby. A small M. Clown would be in trouble too; but you can find adult female maroons (maybe the most territorial fish that swims) that should be OK. The trigger will too, once it grows. Finding a small H.Tusk is almost impossible; especially the much nicer Australian variety. (Wonderful fish!) But even a large HT will not usually bother anyone, they aren't wussy, but keep to themselves. I'd really do some research on the P. Parrot. These are really tough to feed and need tons of algae for grazing and many starve to death.
With trigs and cleaner shrimp...make sure you have lots of rock and lots of nooks and crannies for them to disappear into....but, I do have cleaner shrimp in my trigger tank, lots of triggers in there...they learn to hide well and come out at dusk/night, though they do venture out during feedings....when they are hanging in their caves my fish will still swim right up the cave opening for a cleaning...I have pics of them in my build thread...130 x 36 x 36 inbound...some will get picked off over time but that allows the trigs to act as the predators they are...I added several last May and they are all still alive...also, keeping your fish well fed will reduce the temptation...

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Irenicus
Registered Member

I've contemplated parrots but after much research they seem not be a good fit for the home aquarium.

Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foxface, harlequin tush, maroon clown, puffer, trigger