Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/22/2017, 08:00 AM   #1451
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

I have had both my CP40s for over a year now. I have replaced one unit twice and the other once. They are difficult to clean and troubleshoot. They also progressively get noisier. As mentioned above they are more of a novelty and I have since switched to SW-15, SW-20 and an old RW8. A few pages back here i was supporting the CP40s but after repairing countless units and replacing the motors, it really isnt worth the headache lol.

FMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallons of frags... 30 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef ... 70 other tanks throughout south FL
Reeferz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2017, 05:35 AM   #1452
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeferz412 View Post
I have had both my CP40s for over a year now. I have replaced one unit twice and the other once. They are difficult to clean and troubleshoot. They also progressively get noisier. As mentioned above they are more of a novelty and I have since switched to SW-15, SW-20 and an old RW8. A few pages back here i was supporting the CP40s but after repairing countless units and replacing the motors, it really isnt worth the headache lol.
Hummmmmm. I was going to give it a try but after reading this got me thinking. I use 2 RW-15 on my 125 tank and they have been running great for 2 years but yesterday 1 motor shutoff. I already places the order to replace it but will like to try the crossflow.

Did you ever used the Maxpect Gryre? Any thoughts?

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2017, 06:14 AM   #1453
JTL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcharon View Post
Hummmmmm. I was going to give it a try but after reading this got me thinking. I use 2 RW-15 on my 125 tank and they have been running great for 2 years but yesterday 1 motor shutoff. I already places the order to replace it but will like to try the crossflow.

Did you ever used the Maxpect Gryre? Any thoughts?
How about an Ice Cap 3K, it may be an upgrade from the Jebao, but maybe not. Sure don't hear much about them.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.

Last edited by JTL; 06/23/2017 at 06:32 AM.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2017, 06:30 AM   #1454
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL View Post
How about an Ice Cap 3K, it may be an upgrade from the Jebao, but maybe not. Sure don't here much about them.
Ok. Thanks... I will give that a look.

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 05:23 PM   #1455
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeferz412 View Post
I have been putting off cleaning my cp40, and today it started making a lot of noise. I took it apart, and everything looks ok. put it back together, and it seems to run really slow. So I cleaned it with vinegar and assembled, still slow. So I took it apart, and just ran the motor by itself, and it does look slow. so I let it run in vinegar solution for a few minutes and a lot of crud came out. I don't think there is a way to completely disassemble the motor shaft, so maybe this is the best way to clean it. If the motor does not spin at all, you can try pushing it back and forth (there is some play so you can push the left side of the motor spindle, then the right, etc.).

anyway, I put it back together and it spins really fast again.

I imagine some of the units deemed broken may just need the motor cleaned.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 04:37 AM   #1456
tastyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I have been putting off cleaning my cp40, and today it started making a lot of noise. I took it apart, and everything looks ok. put it back together, and it seems to run really slow. So I cleaned it with vinegar and assembled, still slow. So I took it apart, and just ran the motor by itself, and it does look slow. so I let it run in vinegar solution for a few minutes and a lot of crud came out. I don't think there is a way to completely disassemble the motor shaft, so maybe this is the best way to clean it. If the motor does not spin at all, you can try pushing it back and forth (there is some play so you can push the left side of the motor spindle, then the right, etc.).

anyway, I put it back together and it spins really fast again.

I imagine some of the units deemed broken may just need the motor cleaned.

It's exactly that and when assembled, you need to ensure everything is free moving. If I have an issue, i disassemble, put it back together and test the motor on it's own, then with one side attached, then the other.

The issue is that the bulkheads can be pushed too far in, which tightens on the rotor. The newer design is a little more prone to this over-compressing because the couplings are made of solid rubber, rather than the white hollow vibration absorbing design which used to be used.

There's a few people making gyres on license also, but personally I'm still very glad I didn't have all the issues which I saw with the Maxspects having spent a huge amount of money on them.

With regards to flow, I went back to my RW's whilst I waited for the parts to arrive and I missed the flow from the Cross Flows. Don't get me wrong, the tank will be fine with RW's, but the flow from the crossflows is completely different and I wouldn't be without this type of flow now.

tastyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 10:33 AM   #1457
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

is this a first or second generation ?
I'm pretty sure mine is first generation, but it does not look like the picture below. the rotor side is just an oval plastic with a rubber cover.

Unread 06/27/2017, 04:27 AM   #1458
tastyfish
Registered Member

Yeah, the one in the picture is the original one. (that's actually one of the photos I took of the strip down/rebuild)

The black blocks are the newer linkages. So probably second or third generation

Last edited by tastyfish; 06/27/2017 at 04:47 AM.
Unread 06/27/2017, 08:30 AM   #1459
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Jebao Cross Flow Pump

This is how mine looks. So I guess this is second generation and the black block you refer to is third generation. Or is it the same, except black color?

Unread 06/28/2017, 02:59 PM   #1460
tastyfish
Registered Member

Yeah, the new units I received have a thin black rubber boot over the white block in your image

Unread 06/28/2017, 03:00 PM   #1461
tastyfish
Registered Member

I just bought the AQLink A1 boxes to link with my Apex.

Is anyone else running these and willing to share a little setup/programming examples please?

Unread 06/29/2017, 09:55 AM   #1462
CrazyFezzik
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kass03 View Post

I bought a new one because I couldn't stand the noise and hooked it up to my old ones controller and it's doing strange things. It only has about half the flow of my older one and it doesn't flow in a steady stream across the tank it flows 1 stream up to the top and 1 stream down to the bottom. Has anyone had this happen? I'm waiting on a reply from seller.
Did you ever figure out how to fix the split stream issue?

CrazyFezzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2017, 11:17 AM   #1463
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyfish View Post
I just bought the AQLink A1 boxes to link with my Apex.

Is anyone else running these and willing to share a little setup/programming examples please?
can you run different wave modes using Apex+A1? or just simple ramp up and down? It may be designed more for use with DCS/DCT pumps.

Unread 07/14/2017, 06:42 PM   #1464
z3speed4me
Registered Member

Is there a way to tell from the box if your item is gen 2 or 3? I just got one from an Amazon seller and I assume it is "new" but is there a way to actually tell!?

It DOES have the English wording on the pump and not the Chinese like I have seen many of the problematic ones have...

z3speed4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 10:56 AM   #1465
tastyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
can you run different wave modes using Apex+A1? or just simple ramp up and down? It may be designed more for use with DCS/DCT pumps.
I can run any program I like with them, forward and reverse, pulse, ramp, etc etc. Anything that you can program and schedule with an Apex really. The sound of the pump is also slightly different, due to the different driver.

I've just had a split cable made up by a fellow reefer, so will be able to control both pumps from a single physical RJ45 VarSpd port.

The only downside to having the Apex control them is that in the event of an Apex falling over, it can't put a VarSpd port into fallback mode, so I lose the pumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3speed4me View Post
Is there a way to tell from the box if your item is gen 2 or 3? I just got one from an Amazon seller and I assume it is "new" but is there a way to actually tell!?

It DOES have the English wording on the pump and not the Chinese like I have seen many of the problematic ones have...
Not sure, I'd be surprised if there are any still about but it might be worth asking the seller when they bought it from Fish Street/Jebao

Unread 07/18/2017, 11:15 AM   #1466
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
I can run any program I like with them, forward and reverse, pulse, ramp, etc etc. Anything that you can program and schedule with an Apex really. The sound of the pump is also slightly different, due to the different driver.

I've just had a split cable made up by a fellow reefer, so will be able to control both pumps from a single physical RJ45 VarSpd port.

The only downside to having the Apex control them is that in the event of an Apex falling over, it can't put a VarSpd port into fallback mode, so I lose the pumps.

Not sure, I'd be surprised if there are any still about but it might be worth asking the seller when they bought it from Fish Street/Jebao
not clear with your response.
is the program (pulse, wave, etc) on the A1 or on Apex profile? if on apex, can apex do random? like the jebao ELSE mode? I think apex only knows ramp up and down, but I may be mistaken.

Unread 07/19/2017, 09:28 AM   #1467
tastyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
not clear with your response.
is the program (pulse, wave, etc) on the A1 or on Apex profile? if on apex, can apex do random? like the jebao ELSE mode? I think apex only knows ramp up and down, but I may be mistaken.
All program are on the Apex. It controls via two channels on the A1. One is speed, the other direction.

So you can have pretty much anything you want going on, pulse, ramp up, ramp down, oscillate and even constant wave (i.e. Going from 30% to 60% on each pulse).

You can also vary the length of the peaks and troughs, so have a longer or shorter wave peak or a longer pause.

Unread 07/19/2017, 09:51 AM   #1468
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
All program are on the Apex. It controls via two channels on the A1. One is speed, the other direction.

So you can have pretty much anything you want going on, pulse, ramp up, ramp down, oscillate and even constant wave (i.e. Going from 30% to 60% on each pulse).

You can also vary the length of the peaks and troughs, so have a longer or shorter wave peak or a longer pause.
ok, thanks for the clarification.

so I can select say vortech reefcrest profile for a varspd port right?
or vortech profiles only work on wxm?

--
I did a google search, and it appears vortech profiles only work on wxm, not on varspd ports. so apex cannot do random values on varspd port.
that would have been cool though if it worked. The new jebao SW pump controller has input that can be connected to varspd port.
I need something equivalent to ELSE mode on jebao.

Last edited by d0ughb0y; 07/19/2017 at 10:05 AM.
Unread 07/20/2017, 06:57 AM   #1469
tastyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
ok, thanks for the clarification.

so I can select say vortech reefcrest profile for a varspd port right?
or vortech profiles only work on wxm?

--
I did a google search, and it appears vortech profiles only work on wxm, not on varspd ports. so apex cannot do random values on varspd port.
that would have been cool though if it worked. The new jebao SW pump controller has input that can be connected to varspd port.
I need something equivalent to ELSE mode on jebao.
You can select any profile, you just need to call it from the virtual outlet programming. I just tried the Reef Crest program and woudn't run the pump, presumably as it starts at 1% power. You need about 20% before the Cross Flow spins up.

You can use the OSC command in Apex to slowly ramp them up and down in turn (I think this is ReefCrest in Vortech world?) I found the following thread on the Apex support forum where RussM gave some good examples:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...highlight=sync

I would probably start a thread with exactly what you want to produce and I'm sure some Apex programming guru's will be able to help pretty easily.

Unread 11/14/2018, 10:20 PM   #1470
phishfoodie
Registered Member

Here is a quick review and impressions of the CP-120, the newer 2018 model of the cp-40. I’ve been running it for about 2 weeks. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://youtu.be/Ll4ptUYHWD0

phishfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 06:55 PM   #1471
Diana A
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfoodie View Post
Here is a quick review and impressions of the CP-120, the newer 2018 model of the cp-40. I’ve been running it for about 2 weeks. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://youtu.be/Ll4ptUYHWD0
How is the noise when in pulse mode? Can you hear it in steady mode? Now that you have used it for a few months, what is your thoughts on it? Thanks!

Unread 03/21/2019, 05:40 AM   #1472
chris@CoralVue
Registered Member

Where did you purchase this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chris@CoralVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 06:16 AM   #1473
Diana A
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@CoralVue View Post
Where did you purchase this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You can get them off of ebay. The new models are the SCP

Unread 03/22/2019, 02:34 AM   #1474
wratha
Registered Member

Im considering one for my reefer 250. Should i get the cp-90 or the cp-120? Im not going to get the wifi controller, so im concerned if the cp-120 will be too powerful.

wratha is offline   Reply With Quote