Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2016, 10:56 PM   #126
vikinglord13
Registered Member

Interesting watching the Dallas grow over its skeleton. I have a non-photosynthetic gorgonian that has part of its skeleton died off (due to an algae growth). It's odd because it's in the middle of the trunk so there's living flesh above and beneath it.

vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2016, 07:06 AM   #127
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestronix View Post
Yes I always washed food, I'm thinking huge doses of iron from that rusting pump may have provided fuel. I also thinking skimmers remove more than just phosphate, I think toxins and possibly elements not removed by algae.

The tank was amazing in its early run of no skimmer, may this hints to a balance of skimming, like mike paletta , he runs only 6 hours a day.
I agree withe the rust issue. I had almost the same thing a few years back. One of the magnets in my zeovit reactor sprung a leak and started rusting from the inside. I didn't know until it was too late and it almost destroyed my tank. I kept wondering where all the algae was coming from.

I am much more aware of what rust can do now and if there are any parts that have the potential to rust I am checking them constantly for signs of oxidation and replacing if necessary.

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 06:20 PM   #128
jestronix
Registered Member

Yeh rust is a real killer! It's a head scratch if u can't find it.

So tank is doing much better, 1000 litres of water change with NSW. Lights have changed, T5 have no punch on a 36" deep tank so removed those.

One 250w 10k XM in a narrow reflector , What a bulb, encrustation monster I call it. Everything is growing like mad and colouring up. I run it for a mere 4 hours a day.
Supplemental lighting is via a kessil 150 / 50w DIY led and an AI prime.

I don't like the look of the 10k, however it's on while I'm at work so I never see it, The AI prime is great as a show light, looks lovely pushing down into a deep tank.

Here's some quick top down pics

jestronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2016, 07:30 AM   #129
Webmanny
Registered Member

Looks pretty good. I'm glad your tank is bouncing back. Corals area coloring up really good.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2016, 04:06 AM   #130
jestronix
Registered Member

Thanks manny, massive water changes are like a big reset button I'm also running a constant drip water change setup, which keeps the system nice and stable,

Unread 04/28/2016, 06:02 AM   #131
jestronix
Registered Member

Shutting down for move.

Well I'm moving , this tank will be migrated into a holding tank at the new place. I'll be getting a tank built that will use the same stand, but will reduce the glass hight to 20" , currently 36" is too deep. Deep tanks are very nice for looking at but not owning.

Reducing tank volume down 40% will bring the power usage for cooling and heating down a bit. Also lighting won't have to push down 3ft, so this should bring the lighting cost down. But I'm not bringing power down to save costs, but rather to run it from solar power alone.

So here's some Last pics before the rebuild . It's recovering well.

Unread 04/28/2016, 06:08 AM   #132
jestronix
Registered Member

And these

Unread 04/28/2016, 06:23 AM   #133
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Still looking good, good luck on the move and with the new tank.

Yea, I'd never do a 36" high tank, too expensive to light well for SPS. I see water volume as a plus, because it stabilizes temperatures, but I can see the difficulty of having it all vertical. I really like the look of the shallow/lagoon tanks, but I think my coral would be growing out the top of them pretty quickly, and not a lot of swimming room for fishes. I think I'll be going with standard sizes from now on, but trying to stay less than 27" of height.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2016, 06:49 AM   #134
Webmanny
Registered Member

Very nice recovery pics. That Goni still grabs my attention every time I see your pics. Everything looks amazing. Good luck with the new tank bud.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Unread 04/28/2016, 07:42 AM   #135
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Yea, I'd never do a 36" high tank, too expensive to light well for SPS. I see water volume as a plus, because it stabilizes temperatures, but I can see the difficulty of having it all vertical. I really like the look of the shallow/lagoon tanks, but I think my coral would be growing out the top of them pretty quickly, and not a lot of swimming room for fishes. I think I'll be going with standard sizes from now on, but trying to stay less than 27" of height.
X2... I have always kept a standard 150g for this reason. I also have a 90g, after trying a 110g (48x18x30). That 30" tall glass was a bugger to work with using only 1" sand.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2016, 12:55 PM   #136
chjhji
Registered Member

Sounds great. I think this is the second thread I've read on this. The only thing the other person did on top of what you have done so far was add an Algae Scrubber. He seemed very happy and showed progress and healthy tank over the course of a year.

chjhji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2016, 03:33 PM   #137
jestronix
Registered Member

Thanks guys, Maybe 22" high is the go , I do want some growth vertically in the new tank, shallow are cool but swimming room is an issue. I rarely see my fish go above 20" in this tank so the rest is wasted really.

Unread 04/28/2016, 03:37 PM   #138
jestronix
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmanny View Post
Very nice recovery pics. That Goni still grabs my attention every time I see your pics. Everything looks amazing. Good luck with the new tank bud.
Midday under the halides, those Goni,s are 3 times the size ! They are realestate hogs ! However they did better with no skimming, I'm really thinking I might skim only in the day on the new tank and let everything feed at night.

Unread 05/07/2016, 03:13 PM   #139
vikinglord13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestronix View Post
Midday under the halides, those Goni,s are 3 times the size ! They are realestate hogs ! However they did better with no skimming, I'm really thinking I might skim only in the day on the new tank and let everything feed at night.
That might be a good idea since a lot of stuff comes out at night.

I agree with Manny, the goni are great to look at. I'm definitely considering getting some when I get a larger tank.

Unread 05/16/2016, 06:07 AM   #140
jestronix
Registered Member

Well I moved into a smaller tank too 24x24x24! I can reach everything again

Move went well, kept all the corals in water the whole time, used the same water in the new tank. Everything is super happy.

Will start a new thread soon

Unread 05/16/2016, 07:51 AM   #141
Webmanny
Registered Member

Nice. Everything looks great man. Good luck with this new tank.

Unread 05/16/2016, 08:45 AM   #142
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Tank looks great after the move. From a long-time (almost 2 years) nano user to another, I hope your stuff colors up but doesn't grow . Looks like your tank is just about set on growth for a while, and it really looks great as is.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2016, 01:23 PM   #143
vikinglord13
Registered Member

Post the link when you start your new thread. We would like to follow along ^.^

Unread 11/15/2018, 08:40 PM   #144
jestronix
Registered Member

Still reefing - new plasma cube http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2686705