Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2020, 10:24 AM   #1
jordans_reef
Registered Member

Trident worth it for calrx?

Hey everyone ive been doing sos dom tanks for a few years now and recently reset my 280 display. Ive been running a geo calcrx with amazing results. But after talking to someone with amazing growth locally (4x thr size in just under a year on everything in the tank) he has me convinced a trident will be worth every penny. I already have an apex el so i would only need to get the trident to control it. Curious if i could get everyones two cents on this.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

jordans_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2020, 12:18 PM   #2
macdaddynick1
Registered Member

If you’re looking for an excuse to buy the trident, I would say just go for it. I have a geo with trident, and it’s definitely worth it. It helps to make sure that your alk doesn’t drop too low or doesn’t go too high. However, I doubt his growth is related to the Trident alone, perhaps he is running a higher nutrient system with a lot more light. That’s a sure way to boost the growth.

macdaddynick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2020, 12:54 PM   #3
stephj03
Registered Member

I've had a good experience so far running a trident with my CaRx.

Automated testing multiple times a day allowed me to see the difference in consumption when the lights are on vs off and set my solenoid schedule based on that so that my daily swing is much less.

I don't see a lot of ppl talk about this but having the test performed at the same times each day can be a big deal if you have a decent daily swing.

If you're wondering whether or not it's worth it with a CaRx vs dosing for dynamic control it still is IMO. With a simple line of code you can automate control of your solenoid pegged to Trident readings.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

stephj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2020, 12:56 PM   #4
jordans_reef
Registered Member

Its not so much that im looking for a reason to buy a trident. Ive used a calrx with alot of success before just wondering if the extra bit of stability is worth the price tag.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

jordans_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2020, 07:34 PM   #5
kidA
Registered Member

It’s amazing. I think it’s worth the $. No you definitely don’t need it. But it is very nice to see alk measurements 4 times a day every day, no more manual testing. Also very quick and easy to replace reagents. Because of all the data points it’s super convenient to ensure stability, see upward or downward trends clearly etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidA is offline   Reply With Quote