Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Regarding my $350 budget, which protein skimmer would you choose?
Vertex Omega 130 1 14.29%
Reef Octopus 8" Classic 200INT 5 71.43%
Another Option (please leave a comment) 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2014, 08:11 PM   #1
Erosa911
Registered Member

Question Help Selecting my first protein skimmer...

So this Saturday I am proud to say I will be picking up my first 90Ga. RR all glass aquarium. It will also be coming with a 20Ga sump tank. I've done the research, and read the books and feel like I am ready enough to dip my feet in (figuratively speaking of course, I don't really think that's healthy for the tank...).

Throughout my research, an in-the-sump protein skimmer has become one of the hardest decisions ever to this project. As a man, my impulse is to say "F* it" and just grab the first one I see at Petco and call it good, but I really want to get this right. I know quality and price generally have a linear relationship, but I really do want to be budget conscious. Throughout my research I've found two that have generally positive ratings and also fit my budget. Also I've noticed that aquarists are hardcore when it comes to Brand-Name-Loyalty, and if you have the knowledge i'm ALL EARS!

The two i've been most curious about are as follows:

VERTEX OMEGA 130 PROTEIN SKIMMER -$319.99
Power Consumption: ~20W
Air Draw: Approx. 158 GPH (600 LPH)
Footprint: 8.5" x 11"
Height: 20"
Optimal Level: Max 9" Min 6.5"

OR

Reef Octopus Classic 200INT 8” Internal Protein Skimmer -$299.99
Reef Octopus 8" Classic 200INT Skimmer
Dimensions: 15.6" x 10.25" x 23.75"
Manufacturer rates skimmer for tanks up to 250 gallons.
BRS Recommends this skimmer for tanks up to 160 gallons
Powered by 1 OTP 3000 pump at 750 GPH

If you have any input regarding these two skimmers, again i am all ears, and open to many other options. my budget is up to $300-350, and i know theres a broad range of skimmers available... but again with all the options available im just at a loss here. Thank you all for your support, it is so greatly appreciated!

Erosa911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2014, 10:27 PM   #2
CamDAX
Registered Member

I have had a supper cheap crappy HOB skimmer for almost a year in my 55gal. It gets stuff out of the tank but I am hopping I can upgrade in a few months because I feel like a better quality skimmer will work better and be more reliable. I am going to try out this skimmer http://www.amazon.com/SCA-302-Gallon...rotein+skimmer

Mainly because I am going to upgrade to a bigger tank within the next year so I want a skimmer that will work with the current tank and future tanks. Also I never really have money so I am going to go with a cheaper option. Plus judging by the photos and reviews this isn't to different then high end skimmers like the ones you've stated. If I was in your case ya I would love to have a Reef Octopus or VERTEX but $130 left over for something else is more tempting. Also when I think about it the only reason a Reef Octopus (or VERTEX) would be nice is "cause everyone talks about them" or at least thats how it seams to me.

Current Tank Info: 55 gal., 10gal. sump, DIY 1/2" PVC overflow, 2x Hydor Koralia 750/850, 2x 165W Black Box, SCA-303 (150gal) Skimmer, with 40 lb LR, 40 LS, with a purple dottyback.
CamDAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2014, 10:31 PM   #3
Erosa911
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDAX View Post
I have had a supper cheap crappy HOB skimmer for almost a year in my 55gal. It gets stuff out of the tank but I am hopping I can upgrade in a few months because I feel like a better quality skimmer will work better and be more reliable. I am going to try out this skimmer http://www.amazon.com/SCA-302-Gallon...rotein+skimmer

Mainly because I am going to upgrade to a bigger tank within the next year so I want a skimmer that will work with the current tank and future tanks. Also I never really have money so I am going to go with a cheaper option. Plus judging by the photos and reviews this isn't to different then high end skimmers like the ones you've stated. If I was in your case ya I would love to have a Reef Octopus or VERTEX but $130 left over for something else is more tempting. Also when I think about it the only reason a Reef Octopus (or VERTEX) would be nice is "cause everyone talks about them" or at least thats how it seams to me.

AWESOME FIND! Ive never heard of these before, I think i just found my skimmer thanks to you! and have money left over to pay rent

Unread 10/17/2014, 06:47 AM   #4
Zer0.
Registered Member

Either a aquamaxx EM200 or co2 depending on space

Zer0. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2014, 07:16 AM   #5
thegrun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0. View Post
Either a aquamaxx EM200 or co2 depending on space
+1!!!! Love the AquaMaxx skimmers. The only problem risght now with them is that they are in such high demand they are difficult to find in stock, production is not keeping up with demand. They combine a very solid construction and design with Sicce pumps, quality all around.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2014, 10:54 AM   #6
CamDAX
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erosa911 View Post
AWESOME FIND! Ive never heard of these before, I think i just found my skimmer thanks to you! and have money left over to pay rent
Let me know how it works!

Current Tank Info: 55 gal., 10gal. sump, DIY 1/2" PVC overflow, 2x Hydor Koralia 750/850, 2x 165W Black Box, SCA-303 (150gal) Skimmer, with 40 lb LR, 40 LS, with a purple dottyback.
Unread 10/17/2014, 11:37 AM   #7
igot2gats
Deeeetroit Basketball!

Reef Octopus all the way here.

Stop being lazy, and use the search function. Seriously.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT / 20g sump / 20g QT - Eheim 1250, Tunze Osmolator 3155, GHL Profilux 3, 2 Tunze 6095, Tunze Wavebox, Aqua Illumination Hydra LEDs
igot2gats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2014, 11:45 PM   #8
Erosa911
Registered Member

Quote:
Let me know how it works!
Just purchased the sca 302! Turns out its a Bubble Magus NAC7 minus the label and minus $100. Good find if I do say so myself.

Unread 10/17/2014, 11:46 PM   #9
CamDAX
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erosa911 View Post
Just purchased the sca 302! Turns out its a Bubble Magus NAC7 minus the label and minus $100. Good find if I do say so myself.
how did you figure that out?

Unread 10/18/2014, 12:04 AM   #10
Erosa911
Registered Member

Quote:
how did you figure that out?
Google and youtube

Tags
protein, reef, sump, thread, vertex