Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2014, 05:30 PM   #1
jharding08
BlueWorldAquatics.com

Thumbs up Adding a Frag Tank to Main Sump

I have been wanting to get a frag tank up and running for some time now. I have two 25 (around 3'x1'x1') gallon tanks that I temporarily held my fish in, while I was moving.

I contemplated running a standalone system for frags, with sump, live rock, etc, but I read using a common sump helps keep all corals healthy. Plus I only need one skimmer, etc.

My main sump has a Waveline DC6000, that I have at about 75% max power. I have a manifold T'ed off of the main 1.5" return line with four 1/2" outlets, for reactors. I am not running any reactors right now, could I just use the manifold 1/2" and run a 3/4" line to the frag tank and back to the sump? Would I get enough turnover ? I was hoping to use a SCWD to get the alternating water flow I need in the frag tank.

How does this all sound?

Unread 11/10/2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Donkeykong
Registered Member

Having both systems tied together will increase water volume and help with stability. Plus you dont have to double up on equipment like skimmer, return pump and heater. THis is assuming your current equipment can handle the extra load. But the are some down sides, such as if the one return pump dies, you lose circulation to both systems. Also , and this is the big one, if something bad happens in one tank the other goes along for the ride. So if you get red bugs in the frag tank it will spread to the display. Ups and downs to both ways just what ever fits your situation best.

Yes you can use a T on the main return to power both tank returns. Make sure the frag tank drain can handle more water than you plan on giving it. Just in case you bump the valve or leave it to high, you wont flood the tank.

Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2014, 06:49 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Agreed, pros and cons. I went with a common system frag tank, but can see the arguments behind keeping them separate.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2014, 10:22 AM   #4
jharding08
BlueWorldAquatics.com

The only thing that I will have to work out if using a common sump is the back flow from the frag tank on a power outage. I have a coast to coast overflow in my main display and it really fills up the sump just from that draining. I guess I could have a separate container connected to the sump to increase the volume

Unread 11/17/2014, 02:20 PM   #5
jharding08
BlueWorldAquatics.com

If I was to run a separate sump with a frag tank, what filtration do I need?

Should I have fish in the frag tank?

Would I need a skimmer if I don't?

What size return pump would be good for a 30 gallon tank with 10 gallon sump?

I was thinking of using a SCWD for water movement off of the return. I already have a Mag 5, Mag 12, Sicce 5.0, and a ton of MaxiJet 1200s. My return nozzle is 3/4" and my drain is 1". I have live rock I can put in the sump and can do filter socks off of the drain.

Going bare bottom on the tank of course.

Tags
frag tank, manifold, scwd, sump, waveline