Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/21/2010, 12:05 PM   #1
AD87
Registered Member

Difference between Doxycycline Hyclate/Hydrochloride

Randy, Boomer.
Just as the title says what is the difference between Doxycycline Hyclate and Doxycycline HydroChloride?

Which one would be best for aquarium use?

Thanks.

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

The difference is unimportant for our purpose, IMO. The hyclate has some ethanol and water in the crystal solid.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2010, 12:39 PM   #3
AD87
Registered Member

Okay just wanted to make sure that they are safe to use.
Thanks

H Magnificia or bust.
Unread 05/21/2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

That I do not know. I just commented on the difference (or lack thereof).

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

Tony

None of my fish drug disease books mention either of them for use with seawater. Tetra based drug are not that good at all in seawater, as they loose 95 % of their therapeutic value at a seawater pH of 8. They all have a habit of binding with various seawater ions like Mg++. These form large complexs, which then bind more to produce large molecules. This is more or less a cold FW drug, where it works best. However, be it FW or SW it is a poor drug of choice

We need to say into he Aminoglycoside Class, with drugs like Neomycin and Kanamycin for best results or Minocycline, sold as Maracyn 2. What are you or what are you trying to treat with this drug ? Or is it it is free

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 06:12 AM   #6
AD87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Tony

None of my fish drug disease books mention either of them for use with seawater. Tetra based drug are not that good at all in seawater, as they loose 95 % of their therapeutic value at a seawater pH of 8. They all have a habit of binding with various seawater ions like Mg++. These form large complexs, which then bind more to produce large molecules. This is more or less a cold FW drug, where it works best. However, be it FW or SW it is a poor drug of choice

We need to say into he Aminoglycoside Class, with drugs like Neomycin and Kanamycin for best results or Minocycline, sold as Maracyn 2. What are you or what are you trying to treat with this drug ? Or is it it is free
Boomer it is my understanding that the tetracycline is not good for ph above 8. But the Doxycycline is better for ph above the 8. Doxy is derived from Oxytetracycline which will treat for gram positive and gram negative bacteria.

I looking to treat for a broad spectrum of bacteria in anemones.

H Magnificia or bust.
Unread 05/24/2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

Tony the question still is why do you want to use such a drug that may be so poor ? What do you mean bacteria in anemones and for what reason do you think they should be treated. Second, even if it work better in pH 8, so what, you can not stop it form binding with various seawater ions like Mg++, Ca++ etc, which are very high.

I looking to treat for a broad spectrum of bacteria in anemones.

Then use Minocycline, sold by as Maracyn II, something we know that works in seawater well, is in the Tetra Class and is a Broad Spectrum antibiotic. There are also no known seawater dosages for Doxy. What are you going to do guess at the dosage ? Lastly, almost all bacterial disease in seawater are Gram Neg. The best drug in seawater , as a BS drug for bacterial infections of almost any kind is Neomycin. And if one can not get this or Kanamycin or Gentamycin then Minocycline. All of these drug are unique, in that when in solution, they are adsorbed by the tissues making them more effective. And all is a guess with Doxy.

Are you "fragging" anemones ?

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Unread 05/25/2010, 11:54 AM   #8
AD87
Registered Member

Boomer did you get my pm? What kind of Neomycin should I try?

H Magnificia or bust.
Unread 05/25/2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

Yes, Tony I did. Neomycin Sulfate.