Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/19/2018, 09:54 PM   #376
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
looks like velvet
do you have any other fish in there or was he in contact with any other fish?
is this fish new to you?
He is part of my original Fish from 65 Gallon tank.
All fish in 110Gallon Tank are the same I have had for years.
No fish added. This goby is the same one I have had for long time.

But I've been reading. That they can starve slowly.
That bad Angel wouldn't let him eat EVER. That is why for over a year I have not seen him, till he got so weak today and floated out.

How would Velvet get into this Tank if no new fish, no new rocks, no anything new.

All my fish in QT's are past many weeks and doing fine.

My kitchen tank Had Ich, or maybe velvet and I never did fallow, but I did treat the Tank with Ployp Lab Medic to possibly get rid of ich.

Nothing has been shared from Kitchen tank with new 110G.

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 06:10 AM   #377
sensei
Registered Member

If he was not in contact with new fish or rocks it does not make sense get velvet.
maybe those little dots are something else then.

Unread 04/20/2018, 07:54 AM   #378
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
If he was not in contact with new fish or rocks it does not make sense get velvet.
maybe those little dots are something else then.
Yes, I am hoping it's just starvation.
Specs could Possibly some detritus dust since in general the dead fish looks healthy (All skin coloration fine).

But I will wait and watch other fish in that tank.

No rush to add my new QT fish, since I really want the Copperband to go into NEW Tank. He is eating like crazy. Flake, Frozen, Masstick. Always hungry now.

Also the Black Capp and Tri Color Wrasee are with Copperband, and they will all go into New Tank, along with the Sunburst Anthias, who lookd healthy and also eating.
And for them to make it, and have peaceful tank. I think I need to remove the SpotBreast Angel. Put him into my Kitchen tank, and see if ICH is gone after (polyp lab treatment)

Unread 04/22/2018, 12:43 PM   #379
Wally.B
Registered Member

Tri-Color Wrasse (Jumped out of QT) COULD BE MORE UPSET!!!!

I knew something was wrong at feeding time, since the hungry Tri-Color Wrasse didn't come out.

I really liked that fish, and worked hard to do proper QT. (1 more week to go!!!)

I had the tank covered, and he found smallest crack in the back.

LESSSON LEARNED....Must make good net for NEW 110G Tank. Hoping the Euro Trim TOP will also help to contain Fish.

DARN!!!!

Unread 04/23/2018, 02:21 PM   #380
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Tri-Color Wrasse (Jumped out of QT) COULD BE MORE UPSET!!!!

I knew something was wrong at feeding time, since the hungry Tri-Color Wrasse didn't come out.

I really liked that fish, and worked hard to do proper QT. (1 more week to go!!!)

I had the tank covered, and he found smallest crack in the back.

LESSSON LEARNED....Must make good net for NEW 110G Tank. Hoping the Euro Trim TOP will also help to contain Fish.

DARN!!!!

Sorry to hear that beautiful fish. Watch out for a the black cap - know jumpers too. Try to close the hole that the wrasse escaped from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 04:02 PM   #381
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Sorry to hear that beautiful fish. Watch out for a the black cap - know jumpers too. Try to close the hole that the wrasse escaped from
THE QT TANK is SHRINK WRAPPED NOW!!!!

You have no idea how upset I am.
I've never seen a Tri-Color Wrasse Before.
Got a healthy one, that ate right from the Start.
QT period almost over.

Arrrrrgh!! I'm bent on finding a replacement, since the Color he had were just want I wanted.

Unread 04/23/2018, 04:10 PM   #382
tenurepro
Registered Member

I am sure it’s very upsetting. I’ll keep my eye out if I see one

Unread 04/29/2018, 07:32 AM   #383
martinphillip03
Registered Member

When you get a chance could you take a picture of it. Do you plan on keeping it shrink wrapped?

Marty

Quote:
THE QT TANK is SHRINK WRAPPED NOW!!!!

You have no idea how upset I am.
I've never seen a Tri-Color Wrasse Before.
Got a healthy one, that ate right from the Start.
QT period almost over.

Arrrrrgh!! I'm bent on finding a replacement, since the Color he had were just want I wanted.

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 10:08 AM   #384
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinphillip03 View Post
When you get a chance could you take a picture of it. Do you plan on keeping it shrink wrapped?

Marty
Hey Marty,

The SHRINK WRAPPING was an Joke . I wouldn't want the fish to suffocate.

I only covered every gap with Egg Crate. Not much to show.

But I am still upset I lost the TriColor Wrasse.

It would be worse if I lost the Black Capp Basslet. He is beautiful.

Unread 04/29/2018, 08:40 PM   #385
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Wally, I am so gullible. Sounds good.

Marty

Quote:
Hey Marty,

The SHRINK WRAPPING was an Joke . I wouldn't want the fish to suffocate.

I only covered every gap with Egg Crate. Not much to show.

But I am still upset I lost the TriColor Wrasse.

It would be worse if I lost the Black Capp Basslet. He is beautiful.

Unread 04/30/2018, 11:28 PM   #386
Wally.B
Registered Member

In case anyone is wondering why I've been kind of quiet.

PATIENTLY waiting for QT to finish. [[ Distracting myself the Smart Lighting Project for OFFICE and TheatreRoom ]]]

Planning on transferring the Sunburst Anthias to join the Black Cap and the Copperband in the Frag Tank QT.

Also Tenurepro gave me a Blue Green Chromis a couple of weeks ago, to put into my Kitchen tank with the Fearsome Four (Also Blue Green Chromis).
I put him into the Kitchen tank in a Clear Containment box. The Large Dominate Chromis went nuts. Actually was so angry he changed colors.
So I wasn't going to release Tunurepro's Smaller Chromis into the tank.

Chromis is now in a separate QT and being treated with Copper. Just in case he may have gotten ICH from the Kitchen Tank. (No signs of ICH and doing well).
MAYBE the Kitchen Tank doesn't have ICH, Never had ICH, or ICH was destroyed with the Polyp Lab Medic (Wishful thinking).

ALL FOUR will be first put into Frag Tank QT, and then simulataneously transferred into the NEW TANK. (There will be fireworks for sure, but confusion too..which will help)

I'll also do the Rock Work just before the Transfer, so no established territory.

Unread 05/01/2018, 10:46 AM   #387
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
In case anyone is wondering why I've been kind of quiet.

PATIENTLY waiting for QT to finish. [[ Distracting myself the Smart Lighting Project for OFFICE and TheatreRoom ]]]

Planning on transferring the Sunburst Anthias to join the Black Cap and the Copperband in the Frag Tank QT.

Also Tenurepro gave me a Blue Green Chromis a couple of weeks ago, to put into my Kitchen tank with the Fearsome Four (Also Blue Green Chromis).

I put him into the Kitchen tank in a Clear Containment box. The Large Dominate Chromis went nuts. Actually was so angry he changed colors.

So I wasn't going to release Tunurepro's Smaller Chromis into the tank.

Chromis is now in a separate QT and being treated with Copper. Just in case he may have gotten ICH from the Kitchen Tank. (No signs of ICH and doing well).

MAYBE the Kitchen Tank doesn't have ICH, Never had ICH, or ICH was destroyed with the Polyp Lab Medic (Wishful thinking).

ALL FOUR will be first put into Frag Tank QT, and then simulataneously transferred into the NEW TANK. (There will be fireworks for sure, but confusion too..which will help)

I'll also do the Rock Work just before the Transfer, so no established territory.

Yay... And then Acros

Unread 05/01/2018, 10:59 AM   #388
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Yay... And then Acros
Yes, Special Acros will be shortly afterwards.

First will be a few test frags, and if that goes well, I'll bring back my Favourite YELLOW TUBINARIA Coral (In holding).

All when things are stable, and ready. Not a minute sooner.
I've finally ADDED a Signature reflecting my MOTO, and Engrained, Lesson Learner Philosophy going forward.

Also added an Avatar Photo, one that I use on the other Forum.
Hope it makes sense to everyone.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Unread 05/01/2018, 11:26 AM   #389
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, Special Acros will be shortly afterwards.

First will be a few test frags, and if that goes well, I'll bring back my Favourite YELLOW TUBINARIA Coral (In holding).

All when things are stable, and ready. Not a minute sooner.

I've finally ADDED a Signature reflecting my MOTO, and Engrained, Lesson Learner Philosophy going forward.

Also added an Avatar Photo, one that I use on the other Forum.

Hope it makes sense to everyone.

The WallyB ate yur baby

Unread 05/02/2018, 08:40 PM   #390
Wally.B
Registered Member

Office LIGHTING PROJECT ( Complete....More Like a Bail Out)

So I fooled around trying all kind of Automation for Office and Theatre.

Tried Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wifi, and Custom Software, Wink Hub, Samsung Internet of things, etc.

Everyone had limitation and drawbacks. Pricey too. I returned everything.

Instead ....I found a Philip Hue Started Kit on a Super Clerance Sale [HomeDepot]. 3 Color Bulbs, Control for $100.
Added a Couple of Philip White Ambiance Bulbs, and a cheap Track Light Fixture. Was done in an hour.
Total Cost $150 (about the same as a Wink Hub which doesn't include the needed Smart Switches, Smart Dimmers, NO LED bulbs)
$29 more for a Remote Control Wall plate, that can be magnetically attached to wall, or put on desk.

These photo's don't give justice to the real look (Since Camera can't take accurate photos).
All looks great in very subtle lighting at nighttime, to compliment the Pale Tank (no Corals).

My goal for Color mix is:

Sunrise/Sunset [Orange/Yelow] and Mid Day Sunny [Bright Yellow/White] with Blue Sky Ceiling
(Slowly fading up brightness, and down, matching/synced to real time day Outdoor Light)...Which the Philips Hue Controller Does.

I'm happy...Kids like it, and it kind of Cheers up my Dark basement (with some Blues, and mixes of White, and Sunny Yellow/Oranges).

Works with Alexa, so I can voice control, but the Philips Hue Hub can do it all.

I don't care much for the Reds, Purple, and Greens (but fun).

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/02/2018 at 08:48 PM.
Unread 05/02/2018, 10:14 PM   #391
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
The WallyB ate yur baby
Hey, I just noticed. You've got a new Avator Photo too. Can't remember the old one.

Your new photo is of your last Dive in Mexico with your awesome underwater camera setup.
Great videos you got of your dives. The lights you used brought out Coral colors that you normally don't get at depths.

That gear setup make you look like a scene from Aliens. All those extra appendages.

Unread 05/03/2018, 02:57 AM   #392
Rakie
In Memoriam

Now do a FW planted palladium on the other side of the desk. And maybe a lizard or something in the middle.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2018, 08:17 PM   #393
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Now do a FW planted palladium on the other side of the desk. And maybe a lizard or something in the middle.
Yeah, as if I need more projects, and tanks. Can't wait to sell the old tank.

With better weather, I am moving the whole 65Gallon Setup into Garage.
So When I put up for sale I can have potential buyers check it out in there.

You know I am getting comfortable (lazy) not having to worry about SPS or any corals in new Tank.
All those chem tests, water changes is a painful chore.
Feeding the QT fish is easy Stuff. Actually relaxing.

So I'm not in a rush to start up the new Tank Full tilt (corals).

Unread 05/03/2018, 10:42 PM   #394
Rakie
In Memoriam

Once you have things dialed in you barely need to test honestly. I still do, but test after test confirms I could test 1/2 as much and be fine.

I know you had issues, but I mean it when I say this: SPS is easy. All you need is stability. You don't need a mature tank, magic potions, sacrifices to the reef God's. Nothing but stability. Parameters don't even have to be good, just stable. That's all it takes.

I was dumb with my refractometer and was running my salinity at 1.021 for probably half a year. Zero issues, because everything was stable (even though it wasn't ideal).

Acting like SPS is a challenge to keep alive is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you're gonna go with blind assumption, opt for infallible confidence. You can easily have a great SPS tank. It was just the washing machine causing you grief!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2018, 11:17 PM   #395
Wally.B
Registered Member

NOW you tell me!!!

You mean 3 years of monthly FULL MOON Night SACRIFIES TO THE Reef GODS was for nothing?

Jesh!! No wonder it never worked.

Unread 05/03/2018, 11:26 PM   #396
Wally.B
Registered Member

And yes, I pray to the Reef Gods, that it was the Dishwasher dripping into my RO reservoir and not some other unknown curse in my system (that remains on new tank from the past).

Unread 05/04/2018, 11:00 PM   #397
Wally.B
Registered Member

Jump Tri-Color Wrasse (REPLACED) with a ( Painted Fairy Wrasse [ Cirrhilabrus Solorensis] )

Got some great news.

Thanks to Tenurepro's keen eyes, he pointed me to a Fish Supplier in my area that had the same Wrasse I lost.

From the Fish Distributers list I got the real name of my previous fish. (Painted Fairy Wrasse).

Went to Carl's Aquarium place and picked him up.
He is in my 10 Gal QT Tank that Sunburst Anthias was.

Actually photo of the new Wrasse.

Found a great Web Site to ID Fish.
(According to this Site's Photo's mine is a Male)
https://www.reeflex.net/tiere/220_Ci...solorensis.htm

Carl's Aquarium
is closeby (10mins) and Carl runs an interesting Operation in his house.
http://www.carlsaquarium.com/index.html

He take custom orders for fish, and will QT them for you, and get them to eat before you take them home (and they pretty well go straight into your DT).

In my case I took my Wrasse to do QT myself, but not after leaving Carl with some great tips.

-> He showed me how he trains Anthias Fish to eat. (Small circulation pumps to keep food suspended. But he get the frozen food suspended into the MIDDLE of the water Column by rinsing in fresh water, and then soaking in salted water)

-> He also showed me how to feed Masstick Food. (Just place on an empty clam/mussle shell, and when dropped in it will always land food side up)

So I also learned his QT strategy. Treats with Copper but not Cupramine since he cycles fish a lot. In my case a Cupramine is fine.

He mentioned that due to immune system weakness from copper treatment, the fish can get infections, etc....So he treats with Antibiotic (Nitrafurazone).

So I'm actually treating the Painted Wrasse with Both.

In 14 days, all 5 Fish will be ready to go into DT

-> Copper Band Butterfly
-> Black Capped Basslet
-> Sunburst Anthias
-> Blue Green Chromis
-> Painted Fairy Wrasse

The Sunburst Anthias was moved into the Frag Tank QT, to make room for new Wrasse.

And all 3 Healthy Fish are getting along very VERY WELL.

And Rakie. You were correct. That Sunburts Anthias ALONE was just sitting in Sponge Bob's house most of the time.
Now with all 3 fish, they are drawing each other out, and I guess providing a sense of security.
They are all out and swimming very slowly, and passing by each other like nothing to be afraid of.
COOL!!

Hope things go well with the new Wrasse.

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/04/2018 at 11:44 PM.
Unread 05/05/2018, 08:57 AM   #398
tenurepro
Registered Member

Yay! No tank is complete without a wrasse or two (or 4 or 5)

Unread 05/05/2018, 01:15 PM   #399
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Yay! No tank is complete without a wrasse or two (or 4 or 5)
Let's take things, One Wrasse at a time

GOOD NEWS, RED Head Fairy wrasse, or Painted Wrasse is EATTING.

Unread 05/06/2018, 06:18 PM   #400
martinphillip03
Registered Member

I'm happy about all the good news! Especially that SPS keeping is simple!

Marty