Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/09/2009, 08:02 PM   #201
marspeed
Registered Member

what will they think of next

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroo...catalog-1.html

Unread 03/09/2009, 08:42 PM   #202
Soundwave
Registered Member

JC: I have never seen colors pop like they do with blue LEDs. I can't even begin to describe how different it looks vs actinics. The corals respond like they would with your standard actinic bulb, though. They are fully open and looking good by the time the whites kick on. (about a half hour) I would, personally, rate the LEDs above any actinic bulb I've ever tried.

bolis: Doubt it. You don't know till you try, though.

TheOwn4g3: The first thing I noticed about that driver was constant current yet showed 650~700mA. Doesn't sound constant to me. How is your project progressing? I would like to know if these drivers work.

Unread 03/09/2009, 10:12 PM   #203
Canoe
Registered Member

Soundwave, I'm going nuts here. I'm going up and down the pages. I've found that you're using the XR-E types, but I can't seem to find which Cree White you are using: the Cool, Neutral or Warm. Am I blind?
Sorry if you've already said...
Thanks,

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: 46g fowlr, live Aug 2012
Unread 03/09/2009, 10:52 PM   #204
ackerman
Registered Member

Pretty sure hes usin the regular white 6500k led
www.ledsupply.com/creexre-w100.php

Last edited by ackerman; 03/09/2009 at 11:02 PM.
Unread 03/09/2009, 11:25 PM   #205
coryjones
Premium Member

I have seen this in person and the blues blow away any lights i have seen stuff just glows in the dark. You would think there was black lights on it. Why is everyone being so negitive? Half of you that are being this way have never tried to do this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Soundwave
JC: I have never seen colors pop like they do with blue LEDs. I can't even begin to describe how different it looks vs actinics. The corals respond like they would with your standard actinic bulb, though. They are fully open and looking good by the time the whites kick on. (about a half hour) I would, personally, rate the LEDs above any actinic bulb I've ever tried.

bolis: Doubt it. You don't know till you try, though.

TheOwn4g3: The first thing I noticed about that driver was constant current yet showed 650~700mA. Doesn't sound constant to me. How is your project progressing? I would like to know if these drivers work.

Unread 03/09/2009, 11:39 PM   #206
ackerman
Registered Member

Do u think adding some royal blue leds in with halides would give better color than say if i were to add t5 blue+s for supplement?

Unread 03/10/2009, 07:55 AM   #207
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

Would using all white LEDs, and still supplementing with VHO actinincs up the PAR any?

I guess what I am asking is, do you think the white and blue LED put out the same PAR?

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
Unread 03/10/2009, 10:20 AM   #208
EBOLII
Registered Member

Soundwave what is your light cycle or schedule?

Unread 03/10/2009, 11:48 AM   #209
Soundwave
Registered Member

The blues put out far less par than the whites. On my dry test at 12 inches the blues hit 140 and the combination hit 460.

My light schedule is blues at 2pm then whites at 2:30 till 11. Blues turn off at midnight then the moon lights kick on for the remainder.

Unread 03/10/2009, 11:48 AM   #210
Soundwave
Registered Member

The blues put out far less par than the whites. On my dry test at 12 inches the blues hit 140 and the combination hit 460.

My light schedule is blues at 2pm then whites at 2:30 till 11. Blues turn off at midnight then the moon lights kick on for the remainder.

Unread 03/10/2009, 12:59 PM   #211
Imzadi
Registered Member

It is hard to weed through all of the critique about the fine tuning, and not enough said about the DIY of it all. lol

I think it is one heckova valiant under taking in the first place, let alone if it is 85% or 89% capacity or blah blah blah. "You DIY'd it and saved a ton of moeny, and learned much... now what are your exact specs on everything. Oh, and this is what you did wrong." As far as I am concerned, it is DIY. If you DID something, thats the first part taken care of... and IT worked... that's the "I" done... and if YOU created it, with something more than opening a box, and pluging it in... I think the D and the I and the Y are covered. lol

I say Kudos Soundwave. Mission accomplished. lol

Current Tank Info: 120g Freshie, 55g salty with a 2/3 BeanAnimal. BA METHOD - TESTIFY! I am a DIY Disaster, but I am saving money! Damsel FREE since 07/08/09!
Unread 03/10/2009, 01:09 PM   #212
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

I wasnt knocking you, by no means. I wanna try it, but was thinking of using all white, and just supplement with my VHO's.

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
Unread 03/10/2009, 01:20 PM   #213
spc1spc1
Registered Member

good work soundwave

Unread 03/10/2009, 01:32 PM   #214
Imzadi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SWINGRRRR
I wasnt knocking you, by no means. I wanna try it, but was thinking of using all white, and just supplement with my VHO's.
That was my thinking as well. Could ya not use all whites, and then the PCs for the actinic? I understand that you believe they are better than the actinics, but which one would be more effective?

(ps: I don't think you were knockin, Swingrrrr, just questioning. That's what DIY is all about.)

Unread 03/10/2009, 04:15 PM   #215
EBOLII
Registered Member

why the extra 30min @ midnight?

Unread 03/10/2009, 05:55 PM   #216
goofyreefer
Registered Member

I've tagged along with this thread from the begining and was puzzled and/or annoyed by some of the comments since as stated it is a DIY project with great results. I look forward to using the info. soundwave provided into my own LED system. I just wish the LED's themselves were cheaper..... hopefully in time they will be.

Thanks Soundwave... I appreciate the effort.

Unread 03/10/2009, 05:56 PM   #217
lynxvs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Imzadi
It is hard to weed through all of the critique about the fine tuning, and not enough said about the DIY of it all. lol

I think it is one heckova valiant under taking in the first place, let alone if it is 85% or 89% capacity or blah blah blah. "You DIY'd it and saved a ton of moeny, and learned much... now what are your exact specs on everything. Oh, and this is what you did wrong." As far as I am concerned, it is DIY. If you DID something, thats the first part taken care of... and IT worked... that's the "I" done... and if YOU created it, with something more than opening a box, and pluging it in... I think the D and the I and the Y are covered. lol

I say Kudos Soundwave. Mission accomplished. lol

I don't understand this statement and I don't understand this thread..... I believe the "fine tuning" is what it is all about. If everyone would stop with the nauseating praises you might see more DIY. It's not like this is the first DIY LED project..... there is nothing new here it's a heatsink, LEDs and a LED driver with an on off switch.

Unread 03/10/2009, 06:00 PM   #218
Imzadi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goofyreefer
I've tagged along with this thread from the begining and was puzzled and/or annoyed by some of the comments since as stated it is a DIY project with great results. I look forward to using the info. soundwave provided into my own LED system. I just wish the LED's themselves were cheaper..... hopefully in time they will be.

Thanks Soundwave... I appreciate the effort.
Indeed.

I think like anything else, the rice will come down, as the knowledge and development costs have been re-couped and it becomes the norm. And once the LED's get used for more and more things. A buddy of mine's brother is patanting the concept of LEDs like these in Lifevests and traffic pylons... gonna make a fortune... lucky sunnova... but I digress.

Unread 03/10/2009, 06:03 PM   #219
Imzadi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lynxvs
I don't understand this statement and I don't understand this thread..... I believe the "fine tuning" is what it is all about. If everyone would stop with the nauseating praises you might see more DIY. It's not like this is the first DIY LED project..... there is nothing new here it's a heatsink, LEDs and a LED driver with an on off switch.
This is the first time I have seen an LED DIY thread... so yea.

But I don't see why 3.35v or 3.36v makes a difference.

Unread 03/10/2009, 06:12 PM   #220
lynxvs
Registered Member

Quote:
This is the first time I have seen an LED DIY thread... so yea.

But I don't see why 3.35v or 3.36v makes a difference.
Could mean 60 mW of power on a string of 6 LEDs... some engineers would be concerned......

Unread 03/10/2009, 06:27 PM   #221
Imzadi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lynxvs
Could mean 60 mW of power on a string of 6 LEDs... some engineers would be concerned......
I'll go to an engineering forum to find that out. lol

I mean no offence, but the nit-picking and hyper-analysis of the results kills the joy of the D I Y of it. If I want something engineered, I will BUY something made by engineers. This sounds like it is working and working very well. Engineer the percentage happier Soundwave is, knowing that something he created is working as well as it is.

Unread 03/10/2009, 07:00 PM   #222
stugray
Premium Member

Imzadi,

"but the nit-picking and hyper-analysis of the results kills the joy of the D I Y of it"

If Soundwave truly wanted to do this "by himself", he wouldnt have posted it on a forum.

The reason we are all here is to see what works for other people & to spread the knowledge of "been there done that" to save another guy from some wasted effort.

I have never had any negative criticism of his design, only constructive comments for the next build.

I think Soundwave did a fantastic job.
not only with the design, but the documentation as well.

Stu

Well, We KNOW GOD exists, but for US to exist without a GOD is preposterous….Umm wait a minute…. Sounds a bit circular to me…

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. display w/80 gal mud/caulerpa sump. Basement sump w/ LED Grow Light,Gravity fed Reeflo200 skimmer w/ ORCA Recirc, DIY calc reactor & kalk stirrer. Inline plumbed 75 Gal frag/settling tank.
Unread 03/10/2009, 07:03 PM   #223
lynxvs
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll go to an engineering forum to find that out. lol

I mean no offence, but the nit-picking and hyper-analysis of the results kills the joy of the D I Y of it. If I want something engineered, I will BUY something made by engineers. This sounds like it is working and working very well. Engineer the percentage happier Soundwave is, knowing that something he created is working as well as it is.
No offense but without "nit-picking and hyper-analysis" we would have never went to the moon. How do you know this is working well? He said it's been running for about a week. I don't think he "created" anything, he wired an LED driver to an LED........come on guys!!!!!

Unread 03/10/2009, 08:39 PM   #224
Soundwave
Registered Member

Ah, but did we REALLY go to the moon?

You are correct by stating that all I did was wire LEDs to drivers. However, if people went out and just bought LEDs off eBay and cheapo drivers and expected the same result they would've wasted their money.

The whole point to this is me showing everyone what I've done. Make your own however you want.

Make improvements, make changes, make a space suit out of aluminum foil for all I care. This works for me and I wanted to share the experience.

On a side note, I got home from Wisconsin a few minutes ago and noticed some pretty decent new growth on my green monti that didn't do any growing under my PCs. I hope this trend continues.

So far, total success.

Unread 03/10/2009, 10:56 PM   #225
Soundwave
Registered Member

Another update. Since using the LEDs, my frogspawn has grown a semi-transparent bubble which it has never done before. My understanding is that this is how it grows new heads.

That's a plus.

Closed Thread