Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2011, 06:18 PM   #51
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
I've heard this sand is amazing an very clean out of the box. I'm thinking I'll need 500 lbs for my DT but luckily I can drive to Premium Aquatics and save on all that freight!
I did 300 lbs total on my tank and I'm sure I wont use it all. PA now includes salt and substrate in free shipping for large orders.

I'm thinking about ordering 3-4 more cases of salt. with the discount and free shipoing its almost $20 a case cheaper than my lfs.

Steve

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2011, 07:58 PM   #52
Richard Reefer
Registered Member

That skimmer is awesome, it's all coming together now...

Unread 11/30/2011, 08:12 AM   #53
nightOwl
Premium Member

Steve,
Boxes coming in is so much fun! That skimmer is huge! This year I did not have that many...I only needed a few things! You are getting me inspired to get moving on my tank again.

Unread 11/30/2011, 08:24 AM   #54
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
Steve,
Boxes coming in is so much fun! That skimmer is huge! This year I did not have that many...I only needed a few things! You are getting me inspired to get moving on my tank again.
Thats what I want to hear Henry!!!!! Today is another big shipment day...PUKANI arrives and the apogee par meter. I will send you the rental agreement for your review

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 11/30/2011, 10:13 PM   #55
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Thats what I want to hear Henry!!!!! Today is another big shipment day...PUKANI arrives and the apogee par meter. I will send you the rental agreement for your review
Steve,
Pictures looked great! I will be looking forward to the rental agreement...LOL. I am swapping out bulbs and need to know how much more light the new bulbs will put out.

Unread 12/01/2011, 07:01 AM   #56
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
Steve,
Pictures looked great! I will be looking forward to the rental agreement...LOL. I am swapping out bulbs and need to know how much more light the new bulbs will put out.
Thanks Henry. I have to get over to the post office to pick up the par meter and the wand for the sensor will be in tomorrow. I will get it out to you monday or tuesday next week.

Unread 12/01/2011, 07:15 AM   #57
SPotter
Registered Member

The Pukani has arrived.....

I was ready to order another type of dry rock but a good friend suggested I really consider the Pukani rock from BRS. After a few emails with BRS I decided to take my friends advice and ordered 100lbs of Pukani and 30 lbs of the shelf rock they sell. The boxes arrived yesterday and my expectations have been exceeded. I thought for sure there would be a lot of breakage but I had no more than two handfuls and most of the pieces that broke are perfect for frags. The way they packed the rocks was amazing....I now have enough packing peanuts to start my own shipping company

For the 100lbs of Pukani I received 20 pieces of rock with about 5 of them being true large show pieces.

There's only a few boxes left to be delivered at this point and they are just small parts and supplies. I still need to order my plumbing fixtures and have been thinking about getting my ball valves from Savko. I have one right now that was given to me and the valve is so easy to open and close...not like the ones I have gotten from HD.

TANK UPDATE....
Glass should be in next week and they will start building the tank. The builder said they will forward progress pictures.

Unread 12/01/2011, 10:50 AM   #58
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Rock looks great Steve. How you planning to arrange the scaping?

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2011, 11:01 AM   #59
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
Rock looks great Steve. How you planning to arrange the scaping?
Thanks Dustin. My initial thought is to do 3 separate structures. I figure given the depth of the tank I will have a lot of options but I do want to leave a lot of open "swimming" space.

Unread 12/01/2011, 02:49 PM   #60
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Thanks Dustin. My initial thought is to do 3 separate structures. I figure given the depth of the tank I will have a lot of options but I do want to leave a lot of open "swimming" space.
Agreed on the depth. I originally wanted to go with a coast to coast overflow but thinking about overflows on each end....Still not sure.

If I went that route I could add a shadow box and really make tank look like its got some major depth. With the scaping you could have three separate areas and like real reefs...Have the cave like structures and open sand valleys. Having the caves and valleys gives good shadowing too which helps with the perception of depth. My tanks in past have always been 18" so I'm doubling that as you are so I'm going to love it no matter what!

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2011, 08:02 PM   #61
msudawgs56
Go Dawgs!

Your rocks look great. I just got my 50lbs of Pukani in tonight. Can't wait to unbox them! Tagging along!

Unread 12/01/2011, 08:24 PM   #62
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msudawgs56 View Post
Your rocks look great. I just got my 50lbs of Pukani in tonight. Can't wait to unbox them! Tagging along!
I am sure you will be happy with the rock. Are you planning on cooking it before adding it to your system? I have been doing some research and finding that a lot of people that didn't cook the pukani end up have LONG battles of high PO4.

Unread 12/01/2011, 10:29 PM   #63
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
I am sure you will be happy with the rock. Are you planning on cooking it before adding it to your system? I have been doing some research and finding that a lot of people that didn't cook the pukani end up have LONG battles of high PO4.
Cook the rock. I did not do it and phosphate has been a weeeeee bit of an issue...LOL. I am glad it is exceeding your expectations. This stuff looks good in a tank.

Quote:
Thanks Henry. I have to get over to the post office to pick up the par meter and the wand for the sensor will be in tomorrow. I will get it out to you monday or tuesday next week.
Thanks!!!

Unread 12/01/2011, 10:29 PM   #64
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Steve,
Do you self a favore , cook this rock . you not on the rush you have time, so make sure this rock will not leach any PO4 in to your new tank..
i have some dry tonga branches and i am planning to use acid first then keep it in RO water for some time( changing water every 2-3 day .

mike

MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2011, 10:43 PM   #65
SPotter
Registered Member

Im definitely going to cook it and probably use lanthanum chloride or seaklear with the cooking. Ive been doing a lot of reading about it.

Steve

Unread 12/01/2011, 10:46 PM   #66
SPotter
Registered Member

@nightowl....do a search on seaklear or lanthanum chloride. there are a few threads where people were having tge same issue as you and now their po4 levels are normal.

Steve

Unread 12/02/2011, 11:31 AM   #67
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
@nightowl....do a search on seaklear or lanthanum chloride. there are a few threads where people were having tge same issue as you and now their po4 levels are normal.

Steve
Thanks Steve!

Unread 12/07/2011, 06:12 PM   #68
SPotter
Registered Member

I received word today that my tank will begin to come to life on monday!!!! The waiting is killing me!!!

Steve

Unread 12/07/2011, 06:46 PM   #69
HaleMoana
Registered Member

Awesome build... I'm following along. I'm in the process of a 220 build and will be tagging along.

I have 150lbs of the Pukani Rock. They gave me some huge show pieces too. Great stuff! I would recommend curing them or even etching them before you cycle though. There is a lot of dead stuff on there that should come off before setting it up. I actually blasted mine with a hose, then ran it in a 50/50 water:vinegar solution for a couple days, then blasted them with a hose again. A lot of dead sponges and other stuff came off. Just a thought.

Anyway... looks great. Good luck with the rest of the build. Oh, and Squan is awesome. Leggets and Osprey! Used to be a shoebie on Third Ave every Summer.
One of my favorite towns of all time!

Current Tank Info: Custom Starphire 220 In Wall Wrasse Retreat
HaleMoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2011, 07:49 PM   #70
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleMoana View Post
Awesome build... I'm following along. I'm in the process of a 220 build and will be tagging along.

I have 150lbs of the Pukani Rock. They gave me some huge show pieces too. Great stuff! I would recommend curing them or even etching them before you cycle though. There is a lot of dead stuff on there that should come off before setting it up. I actually blasted mine with a hose, then ran it in a 50/50 water:vinegar solution for a couple days, then blasted them with a hose again. A lot of dead sponges and other stuff came off. Just a thought.

Anyway... looks great. Good luck with the rest of the build. Oh, and Squan is awesome. Leggets and Osprey! Used to be a shoebie on Third Ave every Summer.
One of my favorite towns of all time!
Thanks for joining in!!!!! I am definitely going to cure the rocks before putting them in the tank. I'm going to pick up a big brute can this weekend and begin the process. I will also use seaklear to help remove the phosphates. I used marco on my first tank and didn't have any po4 problems but this is definitely nicer rock!!!!

Squan is a great town and really enjoy being here. There's a local guy that drives for one of the cab companies here that has a nice business of selling frags in between runs.

Unread 12/09/2011, 02:40 AM   #71
corpse_grinder0
Registered Member

cant wait to see it come together

corpse_grinder0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2011, 07:00 AM   #72
SPotter
Registered Member

Picked up my transition/frag tank last night

Getting one step closer....last night I picked up the DeepBlue Professional 80 gallon frag tank. My plan is to move everything from current set up into this tank and then when the new tank is ready move everything again leaving this tank to be a frag/holding tank. I need to have it done by next weekend because the contractor for the basement will begin a week from Monday.

So I need to move this......

and this mess.....

To here.....

How much of the sand should I move? I would like to not move any of it.

Unread 12/10/2011, 07:58 AM   #73
david00061
Registered Member

have fun with all that...

2 mp60's 4 mp40's, GEO 818 calcium reactor
SRO XP 8000 external skimmer
david00061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2011, 08:02 AM   #74
SPotter
Registered Member

Thanks David! your tank is looking great!!!!

Steve

Unread 12/10/2011, 08:29 AM   #75
david00061
Registered Member

thank you....
I wouldnt move any of the sand. Your rock should handle it ok.

2 mp60's 4 mp40's, GEO 818 calcium reactor
SRO XP 8000 external skimmer
david00061 is offline   Reply With Quote