Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2018, 12:32 PM   #1
Edward Smith
Registered Member

Alternate options to Apex Neptune Flow Meters

I find stuff like this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Contro.../dp/B01HK0A7XW

Are there other monitors/controllers out there to monitor water flow or control solenoids, that just aren't marketed to the aquarium hobby?

Anyone familiar with what this particular sensor would connect to?

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 24g Zeroedge (rules), 150g (to be unveiled soon)
Edward Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2018, 01:26 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Absolutely..
Flow monitoring has been done in industrial applications for YEARS..

Those cheaper devices are very similar just made by slaves now with lower cost materials/no agency approvals,etc...
They simply output a voltage proportional to the flow that can be read by any device capable of measuring voltage..
Typically people are using microprocessors to take that voltage and scale/translate it to a "human readable/relatable" flow rate..

Unread 05/18/2018, 06:39 PM   #3
adnan26
Registered Member

Micro controller. Get ready to Code!

adnan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 06:06 AM   #4
Edward Smith
Registered Member

Yea.....I was hoping a little more "plug and play".....hence why Apex is a much more popular option?

Seriously, is there a easy controller to hook these components up to?

Current Tank Info: 24g Zeroedge (rules), 150g (to be unveiled soon)
Edward Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 09:36 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-Digit...6Y3V3YSJG1B7X2
first I found..
I'm sure there are more depending on what you want to do..

The most simply is just a voltmeter to read the output voltage...

There is also this
https://www.amazon.com/Save-a-Drop-P...TFQSZDDB6ADG6J

Unread 05/21/2018, 04:44 PM   #6
Dr RBG
Registered Member

What are the chances that one could adapt one of these to the apex since these and apex output a voltage that is proportional to the flow?

Dr RBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

If the voltage outputs are extremely similar than all you would have to do is slap the right connector on it, if they are different it becomes more complicated, (Thinking out loud) I don't know how the ones from neptune are tuned for accuracy. If the user can calibrate it like we do the probes, you may be able to do it. But I would suspect that you would have to have a processor in between the flow sensor and apex so that it will change that voltage value to fit within the range of what the apex can read.

Again I'm thinking out loud here....

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 05:57 PM   #8
dwolson2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
If the voltage outputs are extremely similar than all you would have to do is slap the right connector on it, if they are different it becomes more complicated, (Thinking out loud) I don't know how the ones from neptune are tuned for accuracy. If the user can calibrate it like we do the probes, you may be able to do it. But I would suspect that you would have to have a processor in between the flow sensor and apex so that it will change that voltage value to fit within the range of what the apex can read.

Again I'm thinking out loud here....

You could potentially just add a resister to get an even voltage drop if the output of the sensor was too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 220 in progress
dwolson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 05:52 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr RBG View Post
What are the chances that one could adapt one of these to the apex since these and apex output a voltage that is proportional to the flow?
Highly likely...
And quite easy to test.. Simply check the output voltage from the sensor and compare that to the stated flow rate in comparison to the full scale range..

Example.. Say you measure 2.5V and Apex reports 250GPH.. If full scale of the sensor is 500GPH then you know thats a 0-5V output voltage sensor..

Unread 05/23/2018, 10:48 AM   #10
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Highly likely...
And quite easy to test.. Simply check the output voltage from the sensor and compare that to the stated flow rate in comparison to the full scale range..

Example.. Say you measure 2.5V and Apex reports 250GPH.. If full scale of the sensor is 500GPH then you know thats a 0-5V output voltage sensor..
excellent point!!!

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 07:52 AM   #11
Steve175
Registered Member

From electrical to mechanical: I tried to do this a few years back on my closed loop. I bought 2 $500 1.5" PVC union industrial valves that measure flow [don't judge me, I was really into UV then and wanted to have the optimal flow through them]. I still have them. They work for a solid 24h before the tiny pinwheel in them jams with a sub-micron of sand. Once a hermit farted and they both jammed. I just ordered the apex flow meters. That they have been designed for SW [or I can whine here about it like a baby if they jam with a hermit fart] is priceless. Honestly, tho, I am most excited about their 1/4" option: keeping a reliable eye on my CA reactor effluent rate is priceless. . .

Current Tank Info: 2 separate 250G bowfront rimless ELOS tanks plumbed to 260G sump, 220G refugium, 220G frag, BK DeLuxe 300, 400W MH x4, closed loops, 3/4hp chiller x2, Phos reactor, Kalk reactor, Charcoal reactor, Ca reactor, 60G surge tanks, & a huge elec bill
Steve175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2020, 02:55 PM   #12
Steveb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve175 View Post
From electrical to mechanical: I tried to do this a few years back on my closed loop. I bought 2 $500 1.5" PVC union industrial valves that measure flow [don't judge me, I was really into UV then and wanted to have the optimal flow through them]. I still have them. They work for a solid 24h before the tiny pinwheel in them jams with a sub-micron of sand. Once a hermit farted and they both jammed. I just ordered the apex flow meters. That they have been designed for SW [or I can whine here about it like a baby if they jam with a hermit fart] is priceless. Honestly, tho, I am most excited about their 1/4" option: keeping a reliable eye on my CA reactor effluent rate is priceless. . .
Curious if you implemented the 1/4" option and if so on the input to the CaRX or on the effluent side? Has it been reliable or have you had any issues with it getting cruded up?

My Tanks
50x30 ABS Tub & a 48x24 frag tank at the moment
Steve's Reef 265 Build In Progress
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote