Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/28/2019, 12:26 AM   #1
jjencek
Registered Member

What type of rotifers for clownfish breeding?

I was not able to find what type of rotifers people use for clownfish breeding.

I have access to live Brachionus rotundiformis (S-type) and Brachionus plicatilis (L-type).

I also can get Brachionus plicatilis cysts which are very attractive to me because I can start a culture only when I need it.

So what do people use?

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2019, 01:10 AM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Freshly hatched brine shrimp (ideally enriched) for 5 days and then frozen cyclops or similar small copepods. Though I kept the parents at 1.018 to get larger eggs and larva. And you will need a planktonkreisel tank to keep the food in suspension. And the trick to get them going after the brine shrimp is to wait half a day before lights on and the first feeding so that the larva are really hungry. Using that method I got repeatedly 90 to 99% of the hatched larva through metamorphosis and the first months until the fighting started.

If you go with Brachionus I would suggest using the largest strain you can find as rotifers are on the small side for most Amphiprion larva.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2019, 02:19 AM   #3
jjencek
Registered Member

Great, this is good news. I will go with the live Brachionus plicatilis (L-type) and will also have their cysts in the fridge as a backup if the colony crashes and I cannot get live ones at that moment.

Thank you.

Unread 12/29/2019, 04:40 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjencek View Post
Great, this is good news. I will go with the live Brachionus plicatilis (L-type) and will also have their cysts in the fridge as a backup if the colony crashes and I cannot get live ones at that moment.

Thank you.
Where do you order the cysts from?
I plan on raising some Marine Bettas and pipefish next year and starting a rotifer culture from cysts allows for more flexibility than maintaining a live cultures.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2019, 01:12 AM   #5
jjencek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Where do you order the cysts from?
I plan on raising some Marine Bettas and pipefish next year and starting a rotifer culture from cysts allows for more flexibility than maintaining a live cultures.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I am now based in Europe and get them there, but they are an American product. I have seen two different packages in the US. One of them at the Prime Shrimp Direct (never done business with them).