Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > AMRC (Alamogordo Marine and Reef Club)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2012, 09:17 AM   #1
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

Exclamation Welcome To AMRC

I'm trying to start a local club. I will start handing flyers around town to get local participation and get to word out. Anyone who would like to help please pm me. I will also start another forum where anyone can post specs and pics on thier setups. I'm sure this will take some time to get started and get off the ground but any one who has questions or just wants to contribute lets rock out.

Later
Mitch

mitchellmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2012, 11:27 PM   #2
chuy marquez
Registered Member

WELCOME BACK. Good to know you're in town. Good luck with the club.

Unread 02/16/2012, 12:56 AM   #3
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

Thanks I'm sure it will be a small group and take a long time to get going but I got nothing but time.
And it is good to hear from you.

Later
Mitchell

Unread 02/16/2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Babybrown1249
USAF

Hey everyone, glad to see this is finally getting started. Let me know if you need any help with anything.

-Cory

Babybrown1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2012, 01:06 AM   #5
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

I'll be working on flyers to distribute at Stelas, Fish&Phipps and hopefully Pet sense. I also know there are other places such as Hastings and a few resturants that will allow you to post flyers. We will see what happens.

Unread 02/17/2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Babybrown1249
USAF

I would post it all over hollomanyardsales too. I sell some of by extra stuff on there and get a lot of email flow from it. Just a thought.

-Cory

Babybrown1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2012, 12:10 AM   #7
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

Already there!!

Unread 02/23/2012, 09:37 PM   #8
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

Here is the Club flyer I made and will be distributing around town and surounding area.

Unread 02/23/2012, 11:01 PM   #9
AJBlount
Registered Member

I live in Las Cruces at the moment, but we should be moving back to Alamogordo when my wife gets into Student Teaching. I would like to join the club, even though I do not currently have much in the way of SW. Just a 29 gal without the right lighting for corals, but I know I should be getting at least 1 light bar this month, after taxes. I hope to run at least 2 on the system...

I also have a 125 that I hope to set up in the future as a reef system... Unfortunately for that I need to get a top, light bars, protein skimmer, and I need to have it drilled to I can set up a sump/refugium under it.

AJBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 12:02 AM   #10
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

Welcome AJBlout. Anybody can join tank or not and surrounding area also are welcome. The club is of course in it's infacny but as more members come on board we can have meetings, frag swaps and trips to aquariums.
My total system right now is less than 35gal so size doesn't always make the tank.
A 29gal can be great and a 125 can make for a great size reef setup. Certainly will allow for more fish selections.
If you want please post some pics to the other thread even if it is not completely setup. It is nice to see progress pics!
Post any thread or questions you have.
Later
Mitch

Unread 02/24/2012, 09:36 AM   #11
AJBlount
Registered Member

I will have to find my camera...LOL

Unread 03/04/2012, 03:02 AM   #12
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

Still looking for places to post the flyer. So far Stelas, hastings and petsense. Anyone else have freinds that would like to particapate or know of other places to post my flyers plaese speak up.

AJBlout still waiting on those pics

Thanks
Mitch

Unread 03/04/2012, 07:18 AM   #13
AJBlount
Registered Member

Mitch,
Sorry about not posting any pics. My camera died on me the other day while taking pictures of my snakes... I am looking for a new one, since I need it for my summer job.

Unread 03/11/2012, 02:27 AM   #14
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

No Sweat man and if you lived closer I'd come over and tank the pics for you.

Unread 03/23/2012, 05:35 AM   #15
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

I did place posters around town only to find out I messed up on the name. One says ARMC, one AMRC and the other ARMRC.
Not sure what happened there but I'm going to blame it on my bum eye. I'll correct and post new ones soon.

Unread 06/07/2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Mstark11
Registered Member

Hello everyone!
Not really sure where I should be posting this, since I didn't see a dedicated introduction thread, so I'll post it here!

My name is Melissa, and I live here in Alamo. This will be my first ever reef tank. I've never had anything more complicated than a beta tank before. And since I'm not one to do something halfway, I'm looking for as much information as I can before I start. The man down at the fish store in town suggested I get a 55 gal. as a starter, and that seems appropriate so that's what I'm thinking of going with.

I have a whole ton of questions to ask and so I'm really thrilled to have found this group! (I found you on Hollomanyardsales.com, just by the way.) Looking forward to leaning with you all!

-Melissa

Mstark11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2012, 11:04 PM   #17
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

Welcome to the AMRC!!!
Melissa it is great to have a new member and welcome to an addictive hobby. Please do one favor and ask as many questions you have here on the site. I know both local places and am friends with both owners but you will find more accurate information on this site than any local store. I promise you that!! I don't think the local places will purposefully steer you wrong but they will none the less,give you incorrect information! Especially since you are starting a reef, you will need to gather a lot of information and pateints is key.

A 55gal will be just fine and if you want you can start a thread to document your progress. It is a great way to share your highs and lows (and there will be lows) in the hobby and allow others to learn from your experience.

I'm glad to see the ads are finding someone.

Later
Mitch

Unread 06/08/2012, 11:34 PM   #18
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

I have opened a facebook page for the club to try and find other members.
It is of course under Alamogordo Marine and Reef Club.
If you have trouble finding it let me know I can help but as of right now it is pretty empty.

Later
Mitch

Unread 07/07/2012, 11:24 PM   #19
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

Well I have still been trying hard at finding new member and have spoken to at least 5 others who are interested so hopefully we will see some new activity here soon. I've spoken to 3 in person and 2 thru email.

Lets keep our fingers crossed as more members would be great.

Unread 07/08/2012, 10:14 AM   #20
Mstark11
Registered Member

I know that there is a reef club for the El Paso/Las Cruces area. Maybe they have a few members who are here in alamo.

Unread 07/08/2012, 11:33 PM   #21
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

None that I am aware of. I use to be a member down there but there was a major blow up between the members and the club split. It never personally affected me but all the drama just turned me off so I haven't gone back since. There was even a bit of drama a few months ago. All the drama just takes all the fun out of things. Last time I posted on there I was just trying to put in a few comments and seemed like I was attacked by a member so I just distanced myself from them and started this club. Anyways I'm still Friends with a few of the members down there and I even keep an eye on how their club is progressing but I don't ever post on their forum anymore.

I have no real issues with any of them and if this clubs ever gets large enough for meeting I would have no problem with anyone attending our meetings as well. It would just be nice to have something local so we don't have to drive 1 1/2 hours. It also is nice to have local friends if an emergency arises or help is needed. Who wants to drive all that way to help?

It was also annoying driving all the way down there every month for the meetings.

Unread 07/09/2012, 12:52 AM   #22
Mstark11
Registered Member

Yea I can see where you're coming from. I really enjoy the drive to cruces at least, because I can always find stuff to do there. Being in small towns to small towns for the last 9 years has really started taking it's toll.

I grew up in Houston and then moved to Portland, OR., so I think the reef tank will be something nice to keep busy with. It's also nice to have a little piece of the ocean back in the house. I really do miss it living in the middle of a desert. I keep stopping when I walk past and smelling it, as weird as that might sound, because it smells like the beach.

Unread 06/11/2014, 09:12 PM   #23
SantaMonica
Registered Member

How is the club going? Do you guys to tank tours, or is the open area too spread out?

SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2014, 07:54 PM   #24
Quisemar
Registered Member

Is this groups still open

Quisemar is offline   Reply With Quote