Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2019, 08:28 AM   #5126
paphater
Registered Member

Yeah. I'm not sure how I would go about finishing the angled edges except for hand scraping them.

paphater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2019, 04:39 AM   #5127
GoldsteinReef
Registered Member

Think you can help me out?

This is a brand new acrylic tank.. it's wrapped with plastic wrap, so don't let that throw you off.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2693829

GoldsteinReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2019, 03:08 PM   #5128
GlassReef
Got Reef

Big problems with bubbles.

Seven or eight years ago, I was always working on acrylic projects - all the way from dosing containers to a number of large sumps. These projects always turned out (in my estimation) close to perfect. So... I recently decided to jump back in and build a 100 gal sump out of 3/8" acrylic. I'm finding it almost impossible to glue a seam without hundreds of bubbles!

My edges have been routered (very smooth and straight). I'm using fresh Weld-On 4, a .22mm solvent needle, .25mm acupuncture needles for Pins. As soon as I start injecting the solvent, the bubbles start. Nothing I've done has helped.

I'm doing every thing the way I used to, except the acrylic is Chinese and I used isopropyl achohol to clean the edges before gluing.

Any help or tips would be great!

No matter how much you try to push the envelope, it remains stationary.
GlassReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2019, 05:54 PM   #5129
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Huh...that's odd. A few things you might try:

1) Clean the edge (and the other surface you are bonding to) with denatured alcohol instead of isopropyl. Isopropyl contains other ingredients which might be leaving a bit of residue, i.e. water.

2) blow off the edge/surface with compressed air after cleaning

3) when you set up the joint (assuming you are using a right-angle jig and the pins method) the last step before filling the joint with solvent should be to blow it out with canned air, this will de-ionize the material to an extent and get rid of any dust particles, which will hold air around them via static electricity

4) when you start the solvent, squeeze some air out, tip the bottle over to needle in position a hair beyond the edge of the joint while releasing the pressure, then start squeezing such that the tip of the needle is barely at the start of the joint, let the solvent suck into the joint ahead of the path of motion you will follow, then start moving, keeping the "bead" about 1/4" to 1/2" ahead of the needle. Finish up by ending the pass to the edge of the joint before fully releasing the presure.

Some of these you probably already know, but all the same, that's what I do

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2019, 08:13 PM   #5130
GlassReef
Got Reef

Thank you, Sir. Your point about "denatured alcohol instead of isopropyl. Isopropyl contains other ingredients which might be leaving a bit of residue, i.e. water" caused my brain to start working again. My bottle of isopropyl is only a quarter full and about 5 years old. Probably 20% water by now. Ran down to the big box and bought some denatured - problem solved...

Thanks again.

No matter how much you try to push the envelope, it remains stationary.
GlassReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2020, 12:45 PM   #5131
shellydsilva
Registered Member

Hi,

I am using capillary method to glue the 5mm acrylic pieces. But I end up like this joint. When the glue is applied, I can see that the glue is covering the entire width of the acrylic sheet. But once the glue dries, I get the edge finish like this.

What could be the reason? I trim the edge using a flush trim router bit after the piece is cut using laser. Using Weldon glue.

shellydsilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2020, 12:50 PM   #5132
shellydsilva
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellydsilva View Post
Hi,

I am using capillary method to glue the 5mm acrylic pieces. But I end up like this joint. When the glue is applied, I can see that the glue is covering the entire width of the acrylic sheet. But once the glue dries, I get the edge finish like this.

What could be the reason? I trim the edge using a flush trim router bit after the piece is cut using laser. Using Weldon glue.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1609353444489.jpg (19.2 KB, 30 views)
Unread 12/30/2020, 03:04 PM   #5133
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Capillary welds look like this because the bond is instant and there is no dissolving of material to create a fillet. You need to use the pin & soak method. Capillary welds are not sufficient for tank building at all.

Unread 01/04/2021, 02:44 AM   #5134
shellydsilva
Registered Member

@Floyd, thanks for the response. Can I add Acetic acid to reduce the evaporation rate? What percentage would you recommend?

For pin and soak method, how long do we need to soak the acrylic piece in the solvent? And I hope, we just need to dip the acrylic piece about 1mm deep in the solvent.

Also how can we follow the soak method for larger tanks? If the acrylic piece is 48 inch long, how can we follow the soak method?

Unread 01/04/2021, 08:56 AM   #5135
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

The info about the pins method is in this thread, but you'll have to dig for it. It is not about soaking the piece in a vat of solvent. Quick version: you use pins to create a gap and then wick the solvent into the gap, let it soak for 20-30 seconds or so (depends on a few factors) and then pull the pins. There is a lot more to it, that is just the quick explanation of the process

Unread 01/04/2021, 11:29 PM   #5136
shellydsilva
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
The info about the pins method is in this thread, but you'll have to dig for it. It is not about soaking the piece in a vat of solvent. Quick version: you use pins to create a gap and then wick the solvent into the gap, let it soak for 20-30 seconds or so (depends on a few factors) and then pull the pins. There is a lot more to it, that is just the quick explanation of the process
I followed the same method that you had mentioned. I used the acupuncture needles for this method. When I apply the solvent, I can see that it spreads across the thickness of the acrylic sheet. After 30 secs, I pull out the needles. But once the solvent dries, I dont get the full finish.

Unread 01/05/2021, 07:19 AM   #5137
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

What thickness/diameter are acupuncture needles? I'm thinking those have a very small diameter, that night be the problem.

When you pulled the pins out, did the material drop slightly, and was there a "squish out" of gooey material?

Unread 01/05/2021, 09:27 AM   #5138
shellydsilva
Registered Member

Quote:
What thickness/diameter are acupuncture needles? I'm thinking those have a very small diameter, that night be the problem.

When you pulled the pins out, did the material drop slightly, and was there a "squish out" of gooey material?
@Floyd, it was a 0.25mm needles. Material drop, I would say that very less and as mentioned, I do not see a "squish out" of gooey material.

This was the needle used https://www.oceanichealthcare.in/pro...-use0-25-x-25/

Unread 01/05/2021, 09:45 AM   #5139
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

I'll have to double check but I don't think that is overly small - 30 gauge wire - but I can't recall what I use (I have a few spools for different materials)

I want to say 28 and 26 is what I use. I'll get back to you.

Unread 01/05/2021, 11:30 AM   #5140
shellydsilva
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll have to double check but I don't think that is overly small - 30 gauge wire - but I can't recall what I use (I have a few spools for different materials)

I want to say 28 and 26 is what I use. I'll get back to you.
Sure. Thanks.

Unread 05/18/2021, 03:30 PM   #5141
toby.toby
Registered Member

does anyone know if acrylicman is still active here? i’m interested in the books/leaflets he was going to do on fabrication.

thanks

toby.toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2021, 09:09 PM   #5142
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

acrylicman is long gone, not sure what happened to him

"Acrylics" is James Steele with Envision Acrylics. Definitely one of the most knowledgeable people in the industry. I've learned most of what I know (at least what you can't get from experience) from him.

Unread 05/19/2021, 10:12 AM   #5143
toby.toby
Registered Member

Quote:
acrylicman is long gone, not sure what happened to him

"Acrylics" is James Steele with Envision Acrylics. Definitely one of the most knowledgeable people in the industry. I've learned most of what I know (at least what you can't get from experience) from him.

ah damn, thanks , Ill look up envision acrylics see if there’s some info there. it wasn’t anything specific i just wanted to get a source of good knowledge to have as reference material

Unread 05/19/2021, 10:38 AM   #5144
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

He is the user "Acrylics" all over this thread. It's about the only place you'll find all this info

Unread 05/19/2021, 10:54 AM   #5145
toby.toby
Registered Member

Quote:
He is the user "Acrylics" all over this thread. It's about the only place you'll find all this info

yeh i i’ve read through a few hundred pages lol, i am collating the info , just takes while finding it so if James has info packs etc then i’d be up for buying it. all very useful info

James if you read this let me know if you have done anything like that