Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2019, 01:48 PM   #1
NYCBOB
Registered Member

copperband butterfly and bubble tip anemones

Has anyone kept one with bta? Thanks.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2019, 05:28 PM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

I don't have BTA but I have/had Magnifica, Gigantea, Haddoni, Malu. My CBB does not bother any of these anemones.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2019, 05:35 PM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

Whoop!!!! wrong thread

12 days ago, I got a small Blue Gigantea from a friend. He had the Gigantea for several weeks and it was doing well. He decided to concentrate on Magnifica instead and so he sends this Gigantea to me. Taken it from the rock, the foot was injured. My friend observed the Gigantea for a few days until it totally healed and then send the anemone to me.

On arrival (7/10/2019), he did not look well. I placed him in my office tank. He attached initially but let go overnight and the next morning was tumbling on the sand. Fortunately, the tank circulation decreased at night per the nigh protocol so he did not get chewed up by the PH. I took him out and bring him home for treatment (7/11/2019) with Ciprofloxacin.

Below are pictures of the anemone before, during and after treatment. He is doing well now but is denuded of tentacles. Only about 1/3 of the oral plate is covered with tentacle, the rest is denuded and void of tentacles. He is doing well at this time. Even in this poor shape, he started to sow the color of an nice Gigantea he have the potential to be. I hope I will be able to save him and bring him to his full glories

Arrival all deflated

A little bit more inflated but not doing well

In treatment tank. I used a cut to trap him in place so he wont float all over the place

Attached to bottom in hospital tank. I wish he attached to the cup but happy that he attached at all.

A few days after treatment initiated

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlueGig01resized.jpg (74.8 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg BlueGig02resized.jpg (76.6 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg BlueGig03resized.jpg (50.4 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg BlueGig04resized.jpg (47.7 KB, 754 views)
File Type: jpg BlueGig07resized.jpg (57.1 KB, 468 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2019, 10:57 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBOB View Post
Has anyone kept one with bta? Thanks.
I kept one with a very large BTA and the CBB never even got close to it. Of course, the reason for that was most likely the monster clarkii pair inhabiting that anemone.
Generally CCB are more interested in worms, but some may develop a taste for corals (a store here has a marginalis that goes after anything with longer tentacles.)
The best way to protect the anemone is to put an anemonefish in it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2019, 06:42 PM   #5
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

I have several bubble tips and my CBB never looks at them. I would say no problem.

Mike Ordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2019, 07:57 AM   #6
jd371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ordner View Post
I have several bubble tips and my CBB never looks at them. I would say no problem.
The same with mine, swims all around them and pays them no mind.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2019, 09:08 AM   #7
Desertoasis
Registered Member

How about other corals? Like zoas and acros?

Desertoasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2019, 11:30 AM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertoasis View Post
Coperbands should have no interest in any of those. Should you see them pick at something in a SPS coral they are most likely going for worms or pods residing in that coral.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2019, 08:39 AM   #9
jd371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertoasis View Post
Nope, I have a mixed reef and my biggest concern when adding the CBB was my Maxima clam. He hasn't touched the clam or any coral at all or shown any interest. I have heard that they will definitely go after feather dusters, but I don't have any in my tank. I was hoping he would eat the Aptasia but he has no desire but that's okay because I didn't add him for that reason.
Loves live black worms though and gets very excited right before feeding, he'll do head shakes and swim back and forth at the front of the tank until I feed them to him. You can actually hear him make chomping sounds when he eats those.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote