Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2018, 05:35 PM   #1
malx
Registered Member

Unique Plumbing Issue

Hi, Everyone.

Having a unique plumbing issue that I might have a solution for but wanted your feedback.

So right now my nano has two 1/2" drain pipes. I'd like to upgrade the main drain pipe to 3/4." I have animals living in it so I don't want to take the tank apart and drill. I just need a tiny bit more flow.

I'm going to talk in mm here because it's easier.

The current hole is 31mm. This 31mm hole is derived from the recommend hole size from BRS for their 1/2" bulkhead which is 30mm using a drill bit and also a little bit of finishing. The 1/2" bulkhead only needs 27mm.

See here: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkh...-x-thread.html

The 3/4" bulkhead needs 34mm.

The outside diameter of a 3/4" S40 PVC pipe is 26.67mm.

My question is, is there anyway possible to fit some sort of 3/4" pipe through? Like a DIY bulkhead of some sort? Anyone do anything like this ever?

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 03:33 PM   #2
DreadCapn
Registered Member

I'm not saying this is a good idea. BUT, if I were going to do this, here's what I would do:

Get a 1" S80 PVC pipe, and some coarse sandpaper. The walls are 4.5mm thick, and you need to remove ~2.3mm with the sandpaper. You would only need to do this for about an inch of pipe. Slide it through, silicon it, let it cure for a few days, then refill the overflow with water.

I've also done a DIY bulkhead with threaded fittings and cut-your-own-gasket rubber. I wouldn't really recommend doing that either, it was very hard to get a good seal going.

Why do you need a tiny bit more flow? There are probably easier ways to...scale this fish

Avast Pegleg Skimmer
DreadCapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 05:53 PM   #3
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadCapn View Post
I'm not saying this is a good idea. BUT, if I were going to do this, here's what I would do:

Get a 1" S80 PVC pipe, and some coarse sandpaper. The walls are 4.5mm thick, and you need to remove ~2.3mm with the sandpaper. You would only need to do this for about an inch of pipe. Slide it through, silicon it, let it cure for a few days, then refill the overflow with water.

I've also done a DIY bulkhead with threaded fittings and cut-your-own-gasket rubber. I wouldn't really recommend doing that either, it was very hard to get a good seal going.

Why do you need a tiny bit more flow? There are probably easier ways to...scale this fish
Thanks for the tips. I just want to get some more water turned over. As I stock the tank with anemones some are going to block the flow. I'm going to run to the local hardware store to see if there's a solution there. They have a lot of odd schedule 80 fittings there. One is a threaded pipe

malx is offline   Reply With Quote