Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2017, 05:54 PM   #1
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Help on Pico tank idea

Hey yall!

Have a spare 2.5 gal tank laying around and wanted to make a pico reef out of it. Nothing major, just a little bit of sand rock, and maybe a coral like GSP or something really easy.

Two questions:

1. What kind of lighting would you use?
2. Is there any fish that would be ok in there? Maybe a damsel or something? I saw a video recently of a guy (known reefer, forgot his name) keeping a domino damsel in a tiny desk top tank with rock anemones. Kinda thinking of the same idea. I am cool with just keeping nothing in it (fish wise), but trying to get a family member into the hobby and thought it may be a good intro for them.

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 10:15 PM   #2
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

For lighting a LED would work well Kessil or DIY. As for fish there are a lot of cool nano gobies that would do well and you could put a few in there. Many small fish that would do well. Imo a mini nano is nit a good way to get into a reef tank, not food for beginners. A little larger woukd be better. Little tanks can be fun when you can handle them.

DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 02:59 PM   #3
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
For lighting a LED would work well Kessil or DIY. As for fish there are a lot of cool nano gobies that would do well and you could put a few in there. Many small fish that would do well. Imo a mini nano is nit a good way to get into a reef tank, not food for beginners. A little larger woukd be better. Little tanks can be fun when you can handle them.
+1

Totally agree.

I think I am leaning towards no fish. One, so there is little to no bio load. And second, quite frankly, I think it is too small. With even a few ounces of LR, there is not much room left. Gonna stick to corals for now.

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 06:38 PM   #4
dublo8
Registered Member

Help on Pico tank idea

Wavepoint makes a really nice little led light that’s not expensive at all. I trimmed the inside of the black tank rim just a bit to make it fit. I mounted it on the side of the tank in gives the whole tank coverage. Two witches for blues and whites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by dublo8; 12/14/2017 at 06:43 PM.
dublo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Skip the fish, add a few little sexy shrimp. That's what I kept in my 2.5g years ago. They're fun to watch.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote