Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2017, 09:01 AM   #1
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

Experience with Rasta Zoas?

Have a 3 polyp order on the way , finally.
I've heard from one person these particular ones can be temperamental. Also read that many of the bright colored ones are similar. Any truth or just personal opinions? Only wondering from active owners please.

sh4rkbyt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Moshahin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4rkbyt3 View Post
Have a 3 polyp order on the way , finally.

I've heard from one person these particular ones can be temperamental. Also read that many of the bright colored ones are similar. Any truth or just personal opinions? Only wondering from active owners please.

The rastas in this picture started as 5 heads a year ago, when they were 10 I fragged 5 and gave to a friend, they were 10 maybe 8 months ago when I glued the frag to this rock. No clue how many they are now but I see a new head or two almost weekly now.

So my experience has been good with rastas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moshahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 11:32 PM   #3
Khammer
Registered Member

I get good growth for mine, averaging about 4 polyps per month on my colony. Mine like to be in a partly shaded area but that's just my experience with them. Good luck with your rastas!

Khammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Shia
Registered Member

Biggest issue I have seen with rastas is the growth rate. They definitely tend to be a slower grower. When first introduced to a new tank sometimes they can take weeks/months to grow the first new polyp while acclimating.

Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 01:19 PM   #5
jayball
Registered Member

Never had problems with mine. Received 25 or so on a shell from a trade and fragged them up with no problem. They have been okay with direct and indirect light and high and low flow.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 07:49 PM   #6
PAreefGUY
Registered Member

Very easy growers...I have hundreds growing on the bavk of my overflow if u wanna see. BTW, may i ask what you paid for the 3? Just curious what there going for these days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 210 reef
PAreefGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 08:07 PM   #7
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

Sure PAreefGUY, it was $30 for three but he also threw in a few extras and it looks as though there are some nubs of new ones already started so if that holds true it'll be about 8 so well worth what I paid IMO.

They were shipped overnight from Washington state and wrapped in a thermal pack with a cold pack also thrown in. Dropped the bag in the top of my tank (double bagged) and let it temp acclimate for almost an hour but they had already started opening up inside the baggies within about 30 mins so everything looked good . I left them to acclimate about 10-15 more mins just in case and then placed them on the bottom.

All of them closed back up of course but within about 13-14 mins were all fully open and stayed that way the rest of the day until lights went off. I had been told they can be temperamental but so far I'm seeing none of that at all. They're even in direct light.

I'd been wanting these since before I got back into the hobby after seeing them and I'm definitely happy with the results so far.
Thank you all for the tips, info and well wishes with these. I posted a pic on FB and everyone was wowed as they'd never seen them before or much less knew what they were lol.

To be honest they (rastas) even responded better and faster than my Green Eyed Dragons which were my fastest batch to open and do well.

sh4rkbyt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 02:37 AM   #8
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shia View Post
Biggest issue I have seen with rastas is the growth rate. They definitely tend to be a slower grower. When first introduced to a new tank sometimes they can take weeks/months to grow the first new polyp while acclimating.
100% disagree with that, they are the fastest zoa growers in my tank and I have quite a few different varieties

Owner Hidden Treasure Corals LLC
Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 09:53 AM   #9
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer40b View Post
100% disagree with that, they are the fastest zoa growers in my tank and I have quite a few different varieties
Rastas are average growers at best. Zoas in general tend to grow faster once they've been in a tank for long enough. Maybe your rastas were just one of the first zoas in there.

My rastas grow a new head or two every month. They also tend to close up for a couple of days while sprouting that new polyp. They can be temperamental about where you place them. I find that mine lies more current and stronger lights. That's where they grow best anyways.

Unread 10/02/2017, 09:37 AM   #10
Jollyg97
Registered Member

7 polyps glued to rock about 6 months ago. Above average in growth I'd say but it depends on tank.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Unread 10/06/2017, 03:55 PM   #11
Tcox
Registered Member

I would recommend keeping them on the frag plug until you figure out where they like to hang out. I never found a good spot for mine and they eventually died out. For whatever reason rastas are a no go in my tank. Very unfortunate because I think they’re beautiful

Tcox is offline   Reply With Quote