Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2013, 08:55 PM   #26
BengalReefer
Registered Member

Also, if you are painting it then make sure to just get paint grade plywood... No need to pay for a/c grade (nice smooth grain on the A side for staining)

BengalReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2013, 09:13 PM   #27
mygsris2slo4u
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
Yes I will add another pair of 2x2's on the left edge of the openings. I'm probably going to paint it all white. As far as trim, I'll have to visit home depot, lowes, or something of the sort and decide based on what's available. And yes, I wanted the stand 1/2 - 1" wider, again it will sit on a 1/2" ply top as well.

So you think 3/4" ply is A OK? I'm leaning towards 1" for the comfort factor!

Happy 4th by the way, thanks for all of the help!!!

I saw your build thread a while ago but couldn't remember what you had used as joints. Looks great! Whiskeys, bourbon and rum! YUM!
3/4" is more than enough. I would recommend adding a 2x4 or 2x6 to support the span of the door and silicone all the inside joints prior to painting.

mygsris2slo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2013, 09:16 PM   #28
dcampbell
Registered Member

I was a framing carpenter for years, people always (including me) overbuild, lol. If you think it isnt strong enough try tearing it apart !!! you will find it was stronger than you thought !!!

dcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2013, 10:25 PM   #29
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm sure I'll be fine it's just been a concern since the 150g is tripling my current tank volume and weight.

Unread 11/06/2013, 09:39 AM   #30
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygsris2slo4u View Post
3/4" is more than enough. I would recommend adding a 2x4 or 2x6 to support the span of the door and silicone all the inside joints prior to painting.
Holy cow its been 4 months since I started this thread! Well, long story short the house I was going to move into at the time didn't work out, we bought a different house and just started moving in last week.

A couple minor changes:
- tank is now a 135g instead of the 150g tall. They have the same footprint (48" x 24") but the 135 is 27.5" instead of the 150g's 30" height. The tank is made by DSA.
- I'm making the stand 5' now instead of 4.5'. I needed another ~6" for my ato reservoir.

One quick question... Which is kind of a shot in the dark since we haven't discussed anything on this thread in 4 months, but, will 1x4's be adequate for the corners and extra vertical supports (edges of the door openings)? We had mentioned 2x2's and someone else mentioned 2x4's. I bought 1x4's yesterday thinking they'd be fine.

Unread 11/07/2013, 06:08 PM   #31
BengalReefer
Registered Member

1X4's should be fine. The compression strength of them (weight pushing down the length of the vertical board) should be plenty.

BengalReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2013, 09:17 PM   #32
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Wasn't expecting a reply but glad to see that you made it back in here Bengal. I made a couple slight adjustments to our previous design but if anything I believe it will be slightly stronger. I will try to post some pics up before paint to get your final opinion (if you don't mind). Thanks again for all the help.

Unread 09/23/2017, 09:49 PM   #33
LaconicReefer
Registered Member

Well done sir's

It is exceedingly difficult to find information as specific as this in regard to stands relying on plywood as their main support.

Thanks!

LaconicReefer is offline   Reply With Quote