Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2017, 12:49 PM   #1
Kinetic
Registered Member

Success with BTA hosting Ocellaris?

I know, especially with my luck, ocellaris will more likely host my Gyre pump than a BTA.

I've seen where the clowns and anemones were almost forced by keeping them in a small container in the tank prior to introduction (not a huge fan of that myself, seems pretty bad).

I was thinking of a H. Magnifica, but it may outgrow my tank and to be honest, I haven't found one that looks really nice compared to the crazy BTA colors out there.

I'm thinking of getting a large clear acrylic tube, and introducing the ocellaris right onto some established BTA's, so they don't go straight for the corner of the tank for a host.

I know there's no guarantee, even with a H. Magnifica to host, but I guess I'll give it a try.

Anyone else have success?

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 12:55 PM   #2
ashburn2k
Registered Member

Tape picture to the tank, play video of clowns hosting whenever possible, I’ve see this was successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ashburn2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
I know, especially with my luck, ocellaris will more likely host my Gyre pump than a BTA.

I've seen where the clowns and anemones were almost forced by keeping them in a small container in the tank prior to introduction (not a huge fan of that myself, seems pretty bad).

I was thinking of a H. Magnifica, but it may outgrow my tank and to be honest, I haven't found one that looks really nice compared to the crazy BTA colors out there.

I'm thinking of getting a large clear acrylic tube, and introducing the ocellaris right onto some established BTA's, so they don't go straight for the corner of the tank for a host.

I know there's no guarantee, even with a H. Magnifica to host, but I guess I'll give it a try.

Anyone else have success?

Time and alot of it and it will happen. Usually after sexing occurs and one actually turns female. People think once the bickering stops they turn female, that is not the case. The full process can take a year or more. Once a female is established they will look to nest, it is during this time it will find the non native host bta. Has happened this way for me with all percs and occys I have had with bta's. If you want them to host immediately you would have to go with a natural host (S. Gigantea or H Magnifica) but I would NOT recommend those for anyone but the most seasoned aquarists. They are both horrid shippers and almost all come in with severe bacterial infections that you must have powerful antibiotics on hand to treat with, such a ciprofloxican, clindamycin, Vancomycin,etc. Here's a picture of my Sanjay Black Photon in my RBTA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
Time and alot of it and it will happen. Usually after sexing occurs and one actually turns female. People think once the bickering stops they turn female, that is not the case. The full process can take a year or more. Once a female is established they will look to nest, it is during this time it will find the non native host bta. Has happened this way for me with all percs and occys I have had with bta's. If you want them to host immediately you would have to go with a natural host (S. Gigantea or H Magnifica) but I would NOT recommend those for anyone but the most seasoned aquarists. They are both horrid shippers and almost all come in with severe bacterial infections that you must have powerful antibiotics on hand to treat with, such a ciprofloxican, clindamycin, Vancomycin,etc. Here's a picture of my Sanjay Black Photon in my RBTA.
Beautiful! I had a breeding pair of sanjay black photons for many years. They ignored everything in the tank except the corner of the internal overflow and that's where they kept their eggs. Not sure how it was comfortable to smash their faces constantly into the hard glass of the overflow...

My other pair of ocellaris ignored all anemones for years and hosted a frogspawn.

Hoping for the best!

I've been researching H Magnifica and treatment for awhile. I have a setup ready to go. (Two 18 gallon tubs, heaters, protected powerheads), and will be doing cipro and 12/24 hour transfers.

I'm going to probably purchase locally at a LFS, and only pick a Mag that looks fairly healthy. I'll QT for 6 - 8 hours before deciding whether it needs treatment or acclimate directly into the DT.

But now also thinking about just going for some BTA's...

Unread 09/23/2017, 02:14 PM   #5
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Beautiful! I had a breeding pair of sanjay black photons for many years. They ignored everything in the tank except the corner of the internal overflow and that's where they kept their eggs. Not sure how it was comfortable to smash their faces constantly into the hard glass of the overflow...

My other pair of ocellaris ignored all anemones for years and hosted a frogspawn.

Hoping for the best!

I've been researching H Magnifica and treatment for awhile. I have a setup ready to go. (Two 18 gallon tubs, heaters, protected powerheads), and will be doing cipro and 12/24 hour transfers.

I'm going to probably purchase locally at a LFS, and only pick a Mag that looks fairly healthy. I'll QT for 6 - 8 hours before deciding whether it needs treatment or acclimate directly into the DT.

But now also thinking about just going for some BTA's...

If you go the mag route cut out the middle man and buy it from Live Aquaria (Not Divers Den). Reason I say that is if you buy that way it will ship to you direct from quality marine. None of them will be healthy so I always say go shortest turnover from ocean to my tank. Always had far more success that way. Also, blue zoo ships out of carson (from both ERI and SDC) I believe and I have had good luck with them as well. Happy Reefing!

Unread 09/23/2017, 02:32 PM   #6
Doge
Registered Member

I did everything: flashlight at night, tube into anemone, video of clowns hosting, picture of clowns hosting, put them in a breeder box w/ the anemone. Nothing worked, once I quit I put everything back and a month later they're hosting

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon
Doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 02:42 PM   #7
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
If you go the mag route cut out the middle man and buy it from Live Aquaria (Not Divers Den). Reason I say that is if you buy that way it will ship to you direct from quality marine. None of them will be healthy so I always say go shortest turnover from ocean to my tank. Always had far more success that way. Also, blue zoo ships out of carson (from both ERI and SDC) I believe and I have had good luck with them as well. Happy Reefing!
That makes a lot of sense! I'll do that if I go the Mag route. Thank you!

Unread 09/23/2017, 02:43 PM   #8
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I did everything: flashlight at night, tube into anemone, video of clowns hosting, picture of clowns hosting, put them in a breeder box w/ the anemone. Nothing worked, once I quit I put everything back and a month later they're hosting

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
So it worked haha

Unread 09/23/2017, 03:02 PM   #9
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
That makes a lot of sense! I'll do that if I go the Mag route. Thank you!

You're welcome, any time. One last thing pictures of Magnifica's do not do them justice, a healthy thriving one is drop dead gorgeous with a deep pink to purple stalk and seafoam green tentacles. The ones you see in stores are bleached to all hell. Check out this video for some wonderful captive specimens at the Long Island Aquarium https://youtu.be/2pxTBHtnl-s

Unread 09/23/2017, 03:25 PM   #10
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
You're welcome, any time. One last thing pictures of Magnifica's do not do them justice, a healthy thriving one is drop dead gorgeous with a deep pink to purple stalk and seafoam green tentacles. The ones you see in stores are bleached to all hell. Check out this video for some wonderful captive specimens at the Long Island Aquarium https://youtu.be/2pxTBHtnl-s

Gosh yeah, that is beautiful in the Long Beach aquarium. I've actually been this aquarium, don't remember it that well though.

OK, so you might have me re-sold on getting the mag

Unread 09/23/2017, 04:51 PM   #11
slanted
Registered Member

I've got a perc and occy that are only a few months old. But the bubble tip in two weeks ago.

They've done the rolling around in the nem the past week, mostly the more dominate perc. Last night I was walking by the tank and saw the occy fully in the nem.

I sat down and watched them them hitting pods and taking turns to take them to the nem to feed it. As an experiment I scraped some algae on the glass and they did the same, burrowing into the nem to get the food to its mouth.

They are still free swimming but I'm hopeful...

slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 04:50 PM   #12
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Swapped out my true perc for this SA Black Snowflake yesterday on a whim.

Unread 09/25/2017, 09:22 PM   #13
Kremis
Registered Member

mine were under my tunze for 3 years before they moved to BTAs

Kremis is offline   Reply With Quote