Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2017, 02:08 PM   #1
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

Retail Manufactures - 180 Gallon Glass Aquarium

Stand is almost complete, some equipment ordered, now we need to actually start thinking about the tank.

Going with a GLASS 180

Looking for recommendations on retail manufactures of 180's. I'll admit I'm a bit apprehensive placing this large of an aquarium in my home, and have considered a custom build, thinking custom could provide more piece of mind... with that said, it's also 2+ times more expensive.

LFS - Suggested the Marineland 180w/ double corner-flo, which includes the internal plumbing, dual loc-line returns for both sides. Price 849.00 with maybe $50 tacked on for delivery and muscle to get it onto the stand.

Any experience with marineland good or bad that you can share would be greatly appreciated. (See above, apprehensive, 180 gallon, poor silicone seams, etc...)

How about the Aqueon?

Who else out there makes an over-the-counter retail 180? Please suggest manufactures.

With that said, I've been really thinking of doing a non-reef ready tank and drilling myself a Glass-Holes 'Threejole con Sombrero' overflow with dual returns in both corners. (Just the single, centered, overflow box, processing 1600-1700 gph, through a full suction + duorso style and having the emergency drain) This 'look' seems much more appealing, albeit much more work & risk (void warranty) than just purchasing a reef ready setup.

Thoughts... on my ideas?

DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 03:51 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

I would go for option 2. Or is it 3? Get a non reef ready tank from either of the manufacturers you mentioned. They both make fine tanks IMO. Drill it yourself and put a real overflow in it, where you want it. IMHO, the term "Reef Ready" should mean REEF READY, not well, it has a couple half arsed "drains" so you can have a sump.

If you haven't before, drilling is easy, and if you go with glass holes, they'll have the correct bits for the bulkheads you choose.

And before you get too carried away with your stand - be aware that the measurements on the different brands will not be the same. It would really suck to build a nice stand only for it to end up too big or too small for the tank!!!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer

Last edited by billdogg; 09/23/2017 at 04:00 PM.
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 04:20 PM   #3
homer1475
Registered Member

Steve over at SCA aquariums could hook you up. and if you give him your dimensions, they will drill the tank to your specs if you ask.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Xxero
Registered Member

I have a 65g Marineland Cornerflow that I like very much. You can set-up a Herbie style overflow with the pre-drilled holes, and then just run a return line up the back.

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef Display - 15g Macro Algae/Refugium - 40b Sump
Xxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 06:02 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I bought a stock RR marineland 265 and almost immediately regretted not getting a non RR and drilling the overflow myself. I see no reason to pay the premium for custom with something like a 180. With a well made stand and sturdy floor you'll be just fine. Agree with prior post about stand size. I prebuilt mine for the 265 only to find that the bottom trim added a a full 1 1/2" to the footprint. Had to rebuild the sides.

Drilling a tank post manufacture does scuttle the warranty, but so does putting it in a DIY stand. Drilling thicker glass is really easy, just takes patience and lots of water. Glass 180 is heavy, but not that heavy. Prob 350 lbs. Four man job, two if you're young and strong. Buddy and I lugged my old 180, but that was while ago and we are both robust lads. Wouldn't try it now

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 09/23/2017 at 06:07 PM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 06:10 PM   #6
elFloyd
Registered Member

I have the Marineland 180 with dual corner overflows. REGRET. Go with the plain tank and add the overflow. Takes up less room and they you can do a Bean Animal or Herbie return. I dealt with the Dursos for years, and finally installed a modified Herbie (2 siphons and 2 emergency drains). One of the best decision I've made. Very quiet. Also look at the Shadow Overflow. Synergy Reef.

elFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 08:31 AM   #7
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I would go for option 2. Or is it 3? Get a non reef ready tank from either of the manufacturers you mentioned. They both make fine tanks IMO. Drill it yourself and put a real overflow in it, where you want it. IMHO, the term "Reef Ready" should mean REEF READY, not well, it has a couple half arsed "drains" so you can have a sump.

If you haven't before, drilling is easy, and if you go with glass holes, they'll have the correct bits for the bulkheads you choose.

And before you get too carried away with your stand - be aware that the measurements on the different brands will not be the same. It would really suck to build a nice stand only for it to end up too big or too small for the tank!!!

Thanks for the reply... just the few responses have swayed my mind to stay true to my thoughts on drilling my own.

Re: the stand... its overbuilt for most standard sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 09/24/2017, 08:42 AM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

Nice job on the stand! How big are the openings? I ask because it might limit your choices for a sump.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 08:59 AM   #9
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Nice job on the stand! How big are the openings? I ask because it might limit your choices for a sump.

24x24... however, it's built using 2x6 and right now doesn't have a center brace front or back. The back is wide open. The plan is to have the sump in place before the tank is placed on top, then install two center braces, even though it may not 'need' them. (I want them)

If for whatever reason, I need to replace the planned 48" sump, I could remove the front brace and cut the faux front, between the doors without having to move the tank and stand. (Hopefully, that day won't ever arise.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 09/25/2017, 10:14 AM   #10
alton
Registered Member

DSA is my choice, but I am not sure if they are available in the NE? The problem I have with most is the plastic cross bracing. DSA adds glass under theirs for support

alton is offline   Reply With Quote