Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2017, 05:30 PM   #26
WLachnit
Registered Member

Good point about being able to clean the inside of the internal box. I ended up plumbing both of my 20" internal boxes to only one of the external boxes so that I would only have one beananimal setup. But, as I have now learned, one external box to drain two of the ghost overflows does make it tough to dial in and maintain silent.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 06:57 AM   #27
fifthtoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsuphysics View Post
...but the tank will drain to the bottom of the bulkhead holes if you're not careful which might be a problem if you have a sump that barely has capacity. There are ways around that but it is something to keep in mind.
I have the old style 16” synergy reef overflow and noticed when I first installed it that it would drain the tank to the bottom of the bulkheads (with return pump shut off). This was a very slow leak. I only noticed it because during initial filling of the tank, I shut pumps off to test sump capacity. I left the pumps off for an extended period of time and walked away for about an hour. When I came back, the tank volume was less than what it should have been. This should not have been possible since the bottom of the weir is above the bulkheads, even after removal. After a little investigating, I ended up having a leak at the bottom of the internal overflow box. They forgot to seal one of the seams and there was about a 1/16” gap. Once I sealed it up, everything functioned as expected and the tank (with return pump off) only drained to the bottom of the weir.

I only have experience with the synergy reef overflow, but it makes me wonder if others are experiencing something similar and not realizing that the box may actually have a leak in it. I only said all that to let others know that it might be a good idea to test for leaks, regardless of manufacturer, before installation.

fifthtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 10:03 AM   #28
WLachnit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthtoe View Post
I have the old style 16” synergy reef overflow and noticed when I first installed it that it would drain the tank to the bottom of the bulkheads (with return pump shut off). This was a very slow leak. I only noticed it because during initial filling of the tank, I shut pumps off to test sump capacity. I left the pumps off for an extended period of time and walked away for about an hour. When I came back, the tank volume was less than what it should have been. This should not have been possible since the bottom of the weir is above the bulkheads, even after removal. After a little investigating, I ended up having a leak at the bottom of the internal overflow box. They forgot to seal one of the seams and there was about a 1/16” gap. Once I sealed it up, everything functioned as expected and the tank (with return pump off) only drained to the bottom of the weir.

I only have experience with the synergy reef overflow, but it makes me wonder if others are experiencing something similar and not realizing that the box may actually have a leak in it. I only said all that to let others know that it might be a good idea to test for leaks, regardless of manufacturer, before installation.
My tank drains to the bottom of the removable weir piece and not to the bottom of the weir. It makes sense since the removable weir does not form a water tight seal. But, it was something that I didn't account for when I planned my sump volume.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 10:17 AM   #29
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySchulz View Post
Hopefully ca1ore will chime in. I'm pretty sure he knows the big differences between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ended up getting the non removable weir as I was concerned about water leaking through the friction fit removable stubs. Only an issue during protracted outages (and maybe not even then), but still. If my pump were to fail when I was out of town my sump could conceivably overflow. I had the tank builder route an opening right above the weir making cleaning easy.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 09/21/2017 at 09:26 PM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 03:08 PM   #30
makers marc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySchulz View Post
Modular Marine will custom make any size and I highly recommend him. He just built me an overflow and a sump and both were very good quality.
Can you show me pics of the sump they built you? I was leaning on a synergy reef cl44 sump, but if MM can do something as functional for cheaper, I can forget about aesthetics

2xJebao wp25/Kessil Ap700/Kalk via Tunze ATO/GFO (6 tbsps every 2 wks); Carbon (6 tbsps per month)
makers marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 03:27 PM   #31
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Which Ghost Overflow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makers marc View Post
Can you show me pics of the sump they built you? I was leaning on a synergy reef cl44 sump, but if MM can do something as functional for cheaper, I can forget about aesthetics

Let me know if you want anymore or more detailed pics. I thought the price was extremely reasonable for 1/2" acrylic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaySchulz is offline   Reply With Quote