Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2017, 11:00 PM   #1
masle1
Registered Member

Ritteri anemones consume high Ca, Mg and Carbonate(ALk)?

I am really puzzled by the amount of alkalinity, Ca and Mg in my 8g nano tank consumes.

I don’t dose any materials to make the property up and I just exchange of the 1g water every week. And I have very tiny LPS and SPS(less than 1 x 1 inch) and tiny 2 crown fish. In addition, there is very big Ritteri anemones(more than 7 x 7 inches)
I confirmed that there are so many low property which is Ca as 300ppm, Mg as 1200ppm, Alk as 7.0 dkh. I confirmed there is no any problem about the salt I used for exchanging of the salt water(The property of new water : Ca as 450, Mg as 1400, Alk as 9.8)

Therefore, I am sure that the very big Ritteri anemones compared with small tank has consumed many materials such as carbonate, Ca and Mg. Do you think that this is reasonable assumption? If available, Is there any data how much the ritteri anemones consume the carbonate, Ca and Mg?

masle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 11:34 PM   #2
Kinetic
Registered Member

Wow, that's a really small tank for an anemone, especially an h. magnifica.

I don't have much experience with what inverts need to live, but I do know that coralline and other hard corals need Ca/Alk/Mg to create their skeletons. In an 8g tank, there's probably all sorts of stuff that's quickly depleting those. You'll probably need to dose or change water a lot more frequently.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 11:59 PM   #3
masle1
Registered Member

Yes.. I agree with you that my tank was very small for ritteri anemone. So, The tanw was upgraded two weeka agao and I have the new tank whose size of tank is 18inch cube. (Not a big one as well)

As you mentioned above, I have already installed the dosing machine for Alk, Mg, Ca and Carbon for the SPS which will be put in my tank in near future. andI check the all property and set the regular quantity of dosing.

Thank you for your opinion and I am still looking forward to hearing about any official information how much Riterri anemones consume the ALK, Ca and MG just for my curiousity.

Unread 09/22/2017, 05:45 AM   #4
elegance coral
They call me EC

Have you checked your salinity?

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 06:50 AM   #5
Breadman03
New Old School

Take a look at any equipment in the tank to see is there is minerals building up on them. Also, what is your magnesium level? Low mag can contribute to cal and alk depleting abnormally.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 07:35 AM   #6
masle1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegance coral View Post
Have you checked your salinity?
Yes. I confirmed it as 35. I have checked many times using two calibrated equipment.

Unread 09/23/2017, 12:16 AM   #7
Kinetic
Registered Member

I've been reading, and an anemone won't be using a whole lot of calcium. Inverts who use a lot of calcium use it for their shells, which an anemone does not have.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 12:17 PM   #8
Gig 'em
Registered Member

I can't imagine an anemone consuming alk and Ca at high levels. Are you testing the salt water before it goes in and the tank right after a water change? Or are you just assuming what it is based on what the salt manufacturer claims is in there? Those claims aren't always 100% accurate and you should test what the levels truly are to know for certain. I would assume if you are losing Ca, Mg, and alk it's going to something else like coraline algae or it is simply precipitating out of the water on a heater or pump. Are you sure this is a ritteri anemone and not something else? I wouldn't suggest keeping an H. magnifica in anything less than 100 gallons...

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritteri ca