Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2017, 11:26 PM   #1
garbermatt
Registered Member

First Algae Barn Order -- Almost Nothing Inside

So I ordered my first shipment from Algae Barn this week. I got their 5280 pods and phyto (buy one get one free). The phyto looks good, but the pods were so tiny, I couldn't see anything even with a flashlight. Although I couldn't count them, there were very few. I didn't think much of it because I figured that they're mostly microscopic, but then I just watched another person's unboxing video tonight and it looked nothing like mine. All stages of development; much larger; and many, many more than my bags.

I bought these to propagate so I added some phyto to 5 gallon buckets and put an air line in there and seeing very little life today. Has anyone else had this experience?

garbermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 11:31 PM   #2
scuzy
Registered Member

Try contacting them. Usually they don't propagate that fast. Give it a few days. You'll noticed your water clearing up from the light green tint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 12:37 AM   #3
Jon0807
Registered Member

I had a very similar experience. I also got some chaeto which did nothing but sink to the bottom of my fuge and crumble. It's now dying. I don't know if it's user error, or if the stuff I got was bad. But this was a few weeks ago. I thought I'd wait it out and see if stuff started growing but it hasn't.

Unread 09/24/2017, 12:58 AM   #4
garbermatt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon0807 View Post
I had a very similar experience. I also got some chaeto which did nothing but sink to the bottom of my fuge and crumble. It's now dying. I don't know if it's user error, or if the stuff I got was bad. But this was a few weeks ago. I thought I'd wait it out and see if stuff started growing but it hasn't.

Yeah, I'm the making maybe I'll try Todd's pods. Sounds like he's got good reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 09/24/2017, 09:09 AM   #5
Rilelen
Registered Member

Interesting; I've been on the fence about ordering from them.

Office Nano Tank System (29 Gallon + 20 Gallon): Saltwater mollies + fry
Rilelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 10:09 AM   #6
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbermatt View Post
So I ordered my first shipment from Algae Barn this week. I got their 5280 pods and phyto (buy one get one free). The phyto looks good, but the pods were so tiny, I couldn't see anything even with a flashlight. Although I couldn't count them, there were very few. I didn't think much of it because I figured that they're mostly microscopic, but then I just watched another person's unboxing video tonight and it looked nothing like mine. All stages of development; much larger; and many, many more than my bags.

I bought these to propagate so I added some phyto to 5 gallon buckets and put an air line in there and seeing very little life today. Has anyone else had this experience?
The pods are copepods which are very tiny. They do say they ship you pods ranging from nauplii to adult sizes.
As already mentioned, contact them. They do listen and respond.

Quote:
It will grow better if you have decent flow in your refugium.

Unread 09/24/2017, 11:50 AM   #7
garbermatt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
The pods are copepods which are very tiny. They do say they ship you pods ranging from nauplii to adult sizes.

As already mentioned, contact them. They do listen and respond.

It will grow better if you have decent flow in your refugium.

Thanks, I'll reach out to them.

Unread 09/24/2017, 02:22 PM   #8
homer1475
Registered Member

Was going to say, I've order from them multiple times, and have never had an issue with their pods. You do realize copopods are mostly microscopic and can't be seen with the naked eye?

Put a couple drops of the water under a microscope, you'll be surprised. I had always thought I was getting ripped off to(sending just a bag of water), but I had a friend look at them under a microscope and I was pleasantly surprised.

With that said, I would never buy copopods from anywhere else but algaebarn.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 02:24 PM   #9
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
There are many reason chaeto dies in a sump. if it was tightly packed and very green, it's your tank and not what they shipped you that is the problem.

Unread 09/24/2017, 03:50 PM   #10
Jon0807
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
There are many reason chaeto dies in a sump. if it was tightly packed and very green, it's your tank and not what they shipped you that is the problem.
It was very dark green and coming out of the package, it was somewhat tightly packed. But as soon as I put in in my fuge, it sank to the bottom and broke apart, sending strands all over the place including my DT. I had to turn down the flow so that all the stray strands stopped swirling around and getting into my DT.

The fuge is about 15 gallons, lit with a kessil H80 set to bloom/100%. It stayed pretty dark green for a few weeks. I tried to turn it over manually once a week but then I started to notice it was getting white. And GHA was starting to grow in the fuge

Unread 09/24/2017, 03:54 PM   #11
homer1475
Registered Member

Chaeto likes to tumble, constantly. I had the same issue, turning white, GHA growing in it, etc. Added a small PH to my sump so the chaeto tumbled, and it thrived. I have since switched to an ATS, it works loads better!

Unread 09/25/2017, 09:20 AM   #12
Yonp11
Registered Member

Ordered from them multiple times, never had a problem. I've always held the bag up to the light you can see the tiny pods swimming and moving around.

Yonp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 09:36 AM   #13
AlgaeBarn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbermatt View Post

Hi Matt, we are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your order. We offer a 100% Alive On Arrival Guarantee and a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Please contact us at 772-444-7637, or support@algaebarn.com, or via live chat on every page of our website between 10am-6pm mst. It sounds like you may have just had a DOA which happens sometimes but rest assured we will take care of you and make it right with a free replacement. Ive also just left you a voicemail. Hope to hear from you soon, thanks!

Orders ship free over $40.
AlgaeBarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 09:38 AM   #14
AlgaeBarn
Registered Member

Quote:
Hello, please contact us about this order. If we are unaware of the issue we cannot solve the problem. We are happy to send you a replacement free of charge if you were not satisfied. Hope to hear from you soon, thank you!

Orders ship free over $40.
AlgaeBarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 09:49 AM   #15
garbermatt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgaeBarn View Post
Hello, please contact us about this order. If we are unaware of the issue we cannot solve the problem. We are happy to send you a replacement free of charge if you were not satisfied. Hope to hear from you soon, thank you!

Thanks very much for the response and sending the free replacement!

Unread 09/25/2017, 12:01 PM   #16
StinkinTuna
Registered Member

Glad they are taking care of it and making things right, makes me feel confident about ordering from them on a new tank coming up. Maybe next time contact them first if there is a prob.

StinkinTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 12:02 PM   #17
garbermatt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkinTuna View Post
Glad they are taking care of it and making things right, makes me feel confident about ordering from them on a new tank coming up. Maybe next time contact them first if there is a prob.

Yeah I didn't realize there was anything they could do since I didn't think it was DOA. Will do next time though if something happens.

Unread 09/25/2017, 01:59 PM   #18
ktownhero
Registered Member

I ordered mixed pods from them and it was great. Tons of life, but they ARE nearly microscopic... Keep that in mind. You have to really focus your eyes right to see them.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 08:34 PM   #19
Jon0807
Registered Member

Yeah that is very good to hear. I thought since I waited too long that it was too late to do anything about it. I'll contact them and see what they say

Unread 09/27/2017, 07:35 AM   #20
Jon0807
Registered Member

So I contacted Algae Barn and they responded the very next day. Chaeto was out of stock but offered to ship the pods now and the chaeto when it was back in stock or offered me a refund or store credit. I told them to just ship it all at once when it came in. I'm very happy with their customer service. It's what usually keeps me coming back to a company. Hopefully this batch does better than the first. I'll keep you guys posted.