Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2014, 01:08 PM   #2501
Pokahpolice
Moved On

Also can I buy a power supply that is too big? Meaning overkill for my project but allows me to expand later so I save money in the long run.

Pokahpolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2014, 01:12 PM   #2502
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokahpolice View Post
makes sense guys, thanks for the help. I ordered the 5x LDD 350H...should be here in a few days.

Ok so the laptop power supply isn't going to work. What would you suggest to power 25 LEDs...the one I bought.
You'll need 3x LDD, and a 48v power supply capable of a minimum of 40 watts. The HLG-40H-48A is a high quality, reliable one to use. http://www.onlinecomponents.com/mean...tml?p=43545087

Or if you want a higher wattage one for future expansion, you can do that, as well. HLG come in 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 185, 240, and 320 watt versions. The 'A' at the end of the name denotes that it is voltage adjustable and IP65 rated, if you get the 'blank' style (so it would be HLG-40H-48) then it is IP67 rated but not adjustable.

jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2014, 01:16 PM   #2503
letoan
Registered Member

Quote:
makes sense guys, thanks for the help. I ordered the 5x LDD 350H...should be here in a few days.

Ok so the laptop power supply isn't going to work. What would you suggest to power 25 LEDs...the one I bought.
Get something reliable like Mean Well with thermal control.. Get bigger than you need in case you want to expand in the future.

letoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2014, 01:27 PM   #2504
Pokahpolice
Moved On

Anyone have a good link on wiring the Arduino, LEDs, drivers and power supply. I've done a ton of reading but I'm like a 5 year old and need some visuals.

Unread 02/24/2014, 01:54 PM   #2505
007Bond
Registered Member

Quote:
Anyone have a good link on wiring the Arduino, LEDs, drivers and power supply. I've done a ton of reading but I'm like a 5 year old and need some visuals.
Here is a down load for the Jarduino controller (useses arduino and Meanwell LDD drivers.) There is a big picture that shows lay out and hookup. Please no offence but it sounds like you need a little better grasp of components before arduino.---Rick

http://code.google.com/p/jarduino-aq...a.pdf&can=2&q=

007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2014, 03:55 PM   #2506
Pokahpolice
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
Here is a down load for the Jarduino controller (useses arduino and Meanwell LDD drivers.) There is a big picture that shows lay out and hookup. Please no offence but it sounds like you need a little better grasp of components before arduino.---Rick

http://code.google.com/p/jarduino-aq...a.pdf&can=2&q=
No offense taken. Only way to learn is to jump in. It would have been cheaper to just buy a LED fixture but I went this route so I could learn this stuff. I bought the "Arduino's for Dummies" and have been reading everything I can find which is helping but my problem is that I'm a very visual learner.

Unread 02/24/2014, 04:19 PM   #2507
bigguyuk
Registered Member

Well Finally Got Round To Having a Go at Soldering SMD eeekkkkk

Just One i assume i can test the 10k resistor is good ? If so How please
a couple of Pics and A Big Thanks For the board Design

Had 7 Boards Soldered all the SMD up seam to get easy as i went along
Need more Socket things lol i manage to cut 2 many pins of the first one

But thought i would share thanks again

bigguyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2014, 04:32 PM   #2508
007Bond
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Pokahpolice;22475359]No offense taken. Only way to learn is to jump in. It would have been cheaper to just buy a LED fixture but I went this route so I could learn this stuff. I bought the "Arduino's for Dummies" and have been reading everything I can find which is helping but my problem is that I'm a very visual learner

You sound exactly like me my friend. You describe me to a T. I really taught myself by reading/following guys postings and then Google to figure what the heck they were talking about.lol. Its been over a year and I'm still googleing away. The good part, is if something goes haywire or you want to add or subtract things, you the builder know right where to look.

Good luck and keep asking questions that you think you might already know the answer,...or not, there are a lot of guys that will help.

Unread 02/24/2014, 04:36 PM   #2509
007Bond
Registered Member

They look good and the LDD's go over them. What are you driving with the 5up's?---Rick

Unread 02/24/2014, 04:38 PM   #2510
bigguyuk
Registered Member

Still Planning that bit Rick lol

bigguyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2014, 06:32 PM   #2511
Pokahpolice
Moved On

Found this sketch...can someone take a look and tell me if it's what I'm looking for? I want to start getting my hand dirty and playing with the build but don;t want to fry anything in the process. Thanks!

https://donnie.co/aquarium/arduino-ldd.png

Unread 02/25/2014, 07:26 PM   #2512
O2Surplus
Registered Member

Quote:
Found this sketch...can someone take a look and tell me if it's what I'm looking for? I want to start getting my hand dirty and playing with the build but don;t want to fry anything in the process. Thanks!

https://donnie.co/aquarium/arduino-ldd.png

That looks correct except for the 5V line between the Arduino and the breadboard. Omit that wire, there's no need for it. Your arduino will need it's own power source. A 7- 12V "walwart" style supply should do the trick. Just make sure to connect a negative lead between the arduino and the 48V supply and everything should work fine.

O2Surplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2014, 03:46 AM   #2513
proietti
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is a sketch I quickly drew up for you

LDD wire up.pdf

proietti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2014, 05:41 AM   #2514
Pokahpolice
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by proietti View Post
Here is a sketch I quickly drew up for you

Attachment 267177
Thank you! Exactly what I needed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the resistor can be anywhere in the circuit, correct?

Unread 02/26/2014, 05:47 AM   #2515
proietti
Registered Member

The pull down resistor need to link from the PWM to the ground. I suppose it could be anywhere as long as its connected in that way.

Unread 02/26/2014, 06:19 AM   #2516
007Bond
Registered Member

Still should have a RTC and some sort of shield for on/off times and to set intensities via the pwm controlled by arduino. Look into heatsinks, and cooling fans which can also be arduino controlled. Kind of like,... which came first,...the chicken or the egg. I think you first need to zero in on what kind of led's your planning on using and how many, and that decision is based on what will work for your setup,ie... size, depth(optics or not), what type of corals you want in the tank ect, ect., then it becomes easier to figure the first part of the questions. Remember when you get answers to your questions, google the parts you don't understand, and if still,...no go, reask the new parts you don't understand. Its all a learning curve Did you look at that Jarduino manual. Even if your not interested in a Jarduino controller the picture has a line drawing that might help you understand what hooks to what. Also check the Jarduino's builder's build page, just reading it(its explained for beginner diy'ers to follow) might shed some light for you . good luck ---Rick

Unread 02/26/2014, 06:50 AM   #2517
proietti
Registered Member

Totally agree the Jarduino Manual (thanks to Jamie) is a vital source of info. Most arduino reef controllers use more or less the same hardware and method of connecting them together.

Unread 02/26/2014, 07:15 AM   #2518
007Bond
Registered Member

Quote:
most arduino reef controllers use more or less the same hardware and method of connecting them together.
+1

Unread 02/26/2014, 07:49 AM   #2519
proietti
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you! Exactly what I needed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the resistor can be anywhere in the circuit, correct?
What I would do if I were you would to compile a list of all the hardware you intend to buy for your controller and paste it up for comment. That way you can avoid buying stuff that maybe you don't really need.

Unread 02/26/2014, 10:09 AM   #2520
Pokahpolice
Moved On

Quote:
What I would do if I were you would to compile a list of all the hardware you intend to buy for your controller and paste it up for comment. That way you can avoid buying stuff that maybe you don't really need.
LOL, WAY past that stage. Already bought, paid, and in my possession from China. Here is the basics of what I got.

Arduino Mega 2560
LCD Touch Screen w/ sheild
about 70+ 1w star base LEDs specs all just about the same except the obvious color specs
Forward voltage: 3.2-3.8V
Forward current: 350mA
Wave Length: 460-470nm
View degree: 120 degree
Luminous: 20-30LM
5 LDD 1000H driver (bought then decided they were wrong)
5 LDD 350H driver
LDD-5 Driver board linked here - http://coralux.net/?wpsc-product=ldd-5-driver-board
Mean Well 48V 40W Single Output Switching Power Supply P/N: HLG-40H-48B

Now the board I bought has a 10K resistor built in to each circuit so I don't need to add one, correct?

Unread 02/26/2014, 10:15 AM   #2521
Pokahpolice
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
Still should have a RTC and some sort of shield for on/off times and to set intensities via the pwm controlled by arduino. Look into heatsinks, and cooling fans which can also be arduino controlled. Kind of like,... which came first,...the chicken or the egg. I think you first need to zero in on what kind of led's your planning on using and how many, and that decision is based on what will work for your setup,ie... size, depth(optics or not), what type of corals you want in the tank ect, ect., then it becomes easier to figure the first part of the questions. Remember when you get answers to your questions, google the parts you don't understand, and if still,...no go, reask the new parts you don't understand. Its all a learning curve Did you look at that Jarduino manual. Even if your not interested in a Jarduino controller the picture has a line drawing that might help you understand what hooks to what. Also check the Jarduino's builder's build page, just reading it(its explained for beginner diy'ers to follow) might shed some light for you . good luck ---Rick

Yes, I actually printed it out and have referenced it a bunch but I have to say that the Jarduino build is pretty high level. For a guy just starting it's very hard to look at the drawings and understand what's what. I read about half the 'dummies' book last night and that is by far been my best friend so far. Figured I'd keep reading and asking questions until I can understand what I'm looking at in the Jarduino manual.

Unread 02/26/2014, 10:19 AM   #2522
Pokahpolice
Moved On

I feel like I completely highjacked this thread but with 100 page thread I'm not sure I'm not the first.

Unread 02/26/2014, 10:43 AM   #2523
proietti
Registered Member

Quote:
Now the board I bought has a 10K resistor built in to each circuit so I don't need to add one, correct?
Correct

Unread 02/26/2014, 10:45 AM   #2524
proietti
Registered Member

Quote:
Arduino Mega 2560
LCD Touch Screen w/ shield
Which shield did you buy Version?

Unread 02/26/2014, 10:54 AM   #2525
Pokahpolice
Moved On

This is the kit I got.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300892620921...84.m1497.l2649

I also bought a 24" extension for the screen so I can utilize all the pins.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1