Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2019, 10:48 AM   #1
Dolfan
Registered Member

New direction with Kalk delivery

I'm looking for a bit of advice on moving to a more automated and consistent method of delivering Kalk. My tank is a 90g reef tank with mostly mushrooms, polyps, frogspawn, fish and inverts.

For the past years, I have just used a simple Kent Marine drip container that I set and refill as needed. But of course this isn't a very exact method, and if I'm busy I don't always refill when needed.

Recently I've been thinking of a way to make this more consistent, I do run an Apex system so I have the automation to control some mechanism but just have not decided what as yet. I've looked at commercial stirrers and reactors but honestly, these seem pretty expensive for the job. My next idea was to build a simple mixer/stirrer using a 5g Instant Ocean bucket, a powerhead that could be switched on several times a day and a simple lift pump to deliver the clear liquid at the top for a few minutes every few hours as needed.

Now thinking to simplify, I'm curious if I use this 5g method but don't have a stir/mix mechanism if it would be sufficient to simply add kalk powder on occasion, say once a week and mix the solution by hand and then a feed from my R/O would slowly mix in to keep the level constant as used? My thought is that today I mix up the 2g container set it and let it drip with no further mixing. Thinking that same general approach should work on just a slightly larger scale with water replenishment.

Open to other ideas.

Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2019, 10:54 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Once a simple drip or ato kalk setup isn't working well enough a switch to dosing pumps and regular 2 part cal/alk mixtures makes plenty of sense to me.. Super easy there too..

No need for frequent stirring/mixing/cleaning lines,etc...

Unread 09/04/2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Dolfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Once a simple drip or ato kalk setup isn't working well enough a switch to dosing pumps and regular 2 part cal/alk mixtures makes plenty of sense to me.. Super easy there too..

No need for frequent stirring/mixing/cleaning lines,etc...
I wasn't thinking to move to 2 part mixtures, just looking for a bit more automated approach to the kalk delivery. I guess my main question would be how large a volume of water would work fine, only being mixed initially then having replenishment water at a slow rate added to the bottom of the vessel.

Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2019, 01:31 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I used to mix a 30 gallon drum & let it settle before using.
The only problem was hardening @ the end of the delivery hose.

Unread 09/05/2019, 11:42 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

It's usually best to run RO/DI in batches since the filter rejection rate is poor at startup (a lot leaches through). If it's possibly, I'd run the level down close to empty and then fill it up with RO/DI, along with stirring after it's full. Stirring at other times will do very little but convert the lime back into sand, so I'd avoid that.

Unread 09/09/2019, 01:30 PM   #6
shellsea
Registered Member

I use an aquamedic kalk stirrer w/dosing pump. That is fed from my ATO reservoir and controlled by my apex to deliver about one minute of kalk solution per hour. If the kalk does not compensate for my evaporation my ATO kicks in.

Unread 09/09/2019, 03:26 PM   #7
reefgeezer
Registered Member

I use a dosing pump that delivers about 1.3 liters a day of kalkwasser from a 5 gallon bucket to replace some of the water that evaporates daily. The ATO makes up the rest of the evaporation automatically... less in the summer and more in the winter. This allows me to add a measured amount of kalkwasser without variances produced by changing evaporation rates.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kalk