Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Hip2Bsquare
Registered Member

Return line flow control for feeding

I want to try something a little different with my return line.

I am working on adding an Apex controller to my 135g cube reef. I am also adding an electronic solenoid to attach to a T in my return line, opening during feeding to reduce the flow to my DT.
http://www.wicvalve.com/3-4-Inch-Ant...2PCZ-3-4-D.htm

When open the solenoid line will then direct a large portion of the flow right back to my sump allowing my Pan World 100PX-X pump to continue running without stops and starts.

My tank is 24" high with a Y in my 1" return line leading to two over the top outputs into my DT. Sump is in stand about 30" below bottom of tank so from pump to output is roughly a 54" virtical with not many elbows and 90's.

From my T and soleniod going right back to my sump during feeding time to reduce the flow to my DT, should I use a 1/2" or 3/4" plumbing on that line?

Recomendations?

Hip2Bsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Hip2Bsquare
Registered Member

Anyone?

Hip2Bsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 09:35 AM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Unless you are trying to target feed a particular coral, I don't see any reason to change flow when feeding your fish. It's one of those things folks seem hell bent on doing that serves little useful purpose. The ocean doesn't conveniently stop surging at fish feeding time

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 09:45 AM   #4
thegrun
Registered Member

I just have my Apex shut my return pump off completely (along with my skimmer and reactor pumps). I keep the skimmer programed to be off for an hour after feeding, the return kicks back on at either 5 minutes or 15 minutes depending upon what type of food I feed (fish or corals).

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Whistl3r
Registered Member

What you are proposing would reduce the return flow but not the drain rate from the DT. Would seem logical to simply shut off the return if it's an issue.

On the other hand I am with ca1ore on this one, I do not change anything on my tank flow during feeding times except when target feeding baby nems. The rest of the time I simply dump the food into the flow pattern from a vortech. The rapid food dispersion triggers great feeding response from everyone.

Current Tank Info: 210g mixed reef, Blue Tang, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Rose BTAs, Carberryi Anthias, Dispar Anthias, Black Snowflake Clown pair, Royal Gramma, Yellow Watchman Goby, Cleaner shrimp pair, hermits, snails
Whistl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2014, 01:52 PM   #6
novadan67
Registered Member

I've been turning my return pump off as well for feeding because I don't like seeing bits of food go into the overflows...

novadan67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing size, return pump plumbing, sump, valve