Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2012, 08:57 PM   #151
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Quick question, I spied 3 dosing pumps behind the new tank by the old tank. What brand are they?

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 09:10 PM   #152
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishTeen View Post
Quick question, I spied 3 dosing pumps behind the new tank by the old tank. What brand are they?
The three you see there are Drew's dosing pumps and then off to the left there's a BRS pump. I find that the BRS pump is more accurate and requires less maintenance. I have to replace the internal rubber tubes on the Drew's every few months.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 09:25 PM   #153
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
The three you see there are Drew's dosing pumps and then off to the left there's a BRS pump. I find that the BRS pump is more accurate and requires less maintenance. I have to replace the internal rubber tubes on the Drew's every few months.
Thanks. Will you be using the BRS units on the new tank?

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 09:26 PM   #154
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Thanks Henry...you were the one that got me started on doing an upgrade over a year ago when I bought some corals from you.
Steve - It's crazy it has been that long and still seems like just yesterday. I am hoping once I am done training I can concentrate on my tank again. You are making me jelous...LOL.

Unread 02/21/2012, 09:47 PM   #155
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishTeen View Post
Thanks. Will you be using the BRS units on the new tank?
I will be switching over to a calcium reactor for the new tank. I will probably keep one of the pumps to dose vinegar or vodka if I don't go with a zeovit reactor.

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 02/22/2012, 11:27 PM   #156
Maximus
Registered Member

Love that one piece eurobracing on top. Do you have a link to the company that made your tank?

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2012, 09:37 AM   #157
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Love that one piece eurobracing on top. Do you have a link to the company that made your tank?
The name of the company is Atlas Tank Works and they are located in Canada. The company was formed by 3 partners....a tank builder (10
+ yrs experience with another major tank builder), retail reef shop owner and the owner of aquatics elite (North American distributor for Sfiligoi). I believe my tank was their first one to cross the border into the United States since all of their business has come from local customers and shop owners. I had been working on my custom Sfiligoi lighting with Tim when I told him I was thinking about looking around for a new tank fabricator. He told me about their venture and after several more conversations I pulled the trigger.

Tim is extremely responsive, very detailed oriented and extremely knowledgable about our hobby. I will try to put more pictues of the eurobrace at different angels up later on today.

If anyone is interested in more information feel free to pm me.

Unread 02/23/2012, 09:55 AM   #158
SPotter
Registered Member

I guess its time to stop staring at it and get to work

So after staring at it for the last day....its time to get to work. I ordered my plumbing supplies this morning and hope to have everything for that the early part of next week. My plan for this weekend is to clean out the tank, put the substrate in and do part of the aquascaping. I am using a combination of Pukani (currently cooking) and Marco rocks. I will use the Marco to create some of the base structures and then once I am ready to add water to the tank I will use the pukani to finish the rest of the structures.

Unread 02/23/2012, 08:48 PM   #159
SPotter
Registered Member

a few more pics and updates

Eurobrace......

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Back of the tank....

IMG_0051.jpg

Fish room...very messy right now but should be cleaned up by the end of the weekend.

Unread 02/23/2012, 09:39 PM   #160
Maximus
Registered Member

Damn, I'll say it again, that eurobrace is a work of art! I wish more manufacturers made them like that!

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2012, 09:52 PM   #161
SPotter
Registered Member

I really do love it too. Its a shame it will be hidden behind the canopy.

Unread 02/23/2012, 10:02 PM   #162
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

That is a great looking tank Steve. If I had the glass option and could carry it down the stairs I'd go that direction and contact you about the builder.

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2012, 10:59 PM   #163
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
That is a great looking tank Steve. If I had the glass option and could carry it down the stairs I'd go that direction and contact you about the builder.

Thanks Dustin!! looks like you scored yourself a nice tank anyway. you could have done glass....put some pillows at the bottom of the stairs and let the tank slide down the stairs.

Steve

Unread 02/24/2012, 12:47 AM   #164
geaux xman
Registered Member

man they they did a fine job on your tank and i especially like the one piece eurobrace. its similar to AGE's, but AGE uses an acrylic eurobrace. I guess more tank builders dont use the 1 piece eurobrace b/c it is a good bit more expensive.

I've seen a couple of guys on RC from overseas that have ~400g rimless tanks on 3/4" glass. No way that is safe.

Unread 02/24/2012, 09:27 AM   #165
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Wow. That tank is friggin huge! Nice build thread!!!

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 11:44 AM   #166
SPotter
Registered Member

Thanks Floyd!!!! Its been fun so far.

Unread 02/26/2012, 07:54 AM   #167
mwminer
Registered Member

Tagging along with your build now , Steve. Thanks for the pump. It is just perfect for what I'm going to do.

Will be doing our own build within the next 2 months because we have to wait to have an addition built. Looks like you have a great tank going. Let me know how you like the Tropic Eden flakes and grand select. That's what we are thinking about too. At least your wait is over...we are still waiting....can't build an addition until the weather breaks here in MT!

Matt

mwminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2012, 07:57 AM   #168
SPotter
Registered Member

Hey Matt....welcome aboard. Its been a fun ride so far and its really just beginning. Did you say you're doing a 450g tank? What are the dimensions and who made the tank?

Unread 02/26/2012, 08:21 AM   #169
mwminer
Registered Member

It's 8' x 3' x 30"H. Yes it is a 450. Its a *******. Bought it new from a guy who had it custom built but when it came time to get it into the basement, they couldn't make the corner! Got it for less than 1/2 what he paid. We can't wait to get it started. Got all the equipment I need to set up ...just not the addition. This will be a through the wall tank viewable from both sides (therefor the addition). Starting to get itchy! Will spring ever get here?

NOTE: when I put in the brand name it ****'s it out. T E N E C O R

Unread 02/26/2012, 08:40 AM   #170
SPotter
Registered Member

Matt meet dustin1300 he is the proud new owner of the same brand tank but I think its 600g. he got a really good deal on his too.

Do you have a build thread going yet?

Steve

Unread 02/26/2012, 08:43 AM   #171
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

I wonder if RC is going to stop bleeping them out now that they're out of business. The site had some kind of beef with them but never did bother to find out what.

Unread 02/26/2012, 08:52 AM   #172
SPotter
Registered Member

Not that Im trying to get myself into trouble or banned from the site but I just don't get some of their rules. like not being able to include a link to my build thread in my signature. I got a violation for that one or being able to mention all brand names sponsors or not. is this a pay to play program? I will get off of my soap box now and if my thread vanishes you'll know why.

Back to your regular programming.

Steve

Unread 02/26/2012, 08:58 AM   #173
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

I think the hyperlink in the signature is a general blanket policy because the mods don't want to have to check every sig link to see if it violates another policy. Why the software can't just automatically block it I don't know.

Usually if there's a non-sponsor product that get bleeped it's because they intentionally violated RC rules repeatedly after being warned or ticked someone off

Unread 02/26/2012, 12:16 PM   #174
mwminer
Registered Member

No build thread up yet. I really can't do anything until I get the addition built. going to be removing 3 windows and adding room on other side so...
anyway, will put up build thread once the construction starts. Will let you all know.

Hi Dustin1300!

Unread 02/26/2012, 05:46 PM   #175
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwminer View Post
No build thread up yet. I really can't do anything until I get the addition built. going to be removing 3 windows and adding room on other side so...
anyway, will put up build thread once the construction starts. Will let you all know.

Hi Dustin1300!
Can't wait until you start the build Matt. Let us know when you have it up. As Steve said, I just picked up same brand tank on Friday. It will be some time before I have the DT up and running but feel free to follow along on my build thread. I'm currently testing about 350 gallons of the system with tap water right now but hopefully in a week or so it will be running with saltwater so it can start to mature DT is 96"X48"X30":

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075733

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote