Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/11/2019, 05:19 PM   #1
LarryZ
Registered Member

Quarantined fish for 4 weeks then moved it and itch developed

Hey Everyone,

So I bought a six line wrasse four weeks ago and quarantined it for four weeks and everything looked good so I moved it to the display tank yesterday. Then today I notice a white nodule on its pectoral fin which looks suspiciously like ich.

I was just wondering if there is a new treatment I am not aware of or is it still the standard move all fish to quarantine and treat with copper and leave display tank fishless for 90 days to let all of the cysts cycle through? I've done it before but just hoping...

Thanks.

LarryZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2019, 09:13 PM   #2
LarryZ
Registered Member

OK so it wasn't ich. A piece of sand was stuck to its pectoral fin. Worst part is that is what my wife kept telling me and I insisted she didn't know what she was talking about.

Sincerely,
Egg on My Face

LarryZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2019, 09:16 PM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

One white nodule on the pectoral fin doesn't sound like ich to me. We would need a picture to know for sure. But I wouldn't do anything until you confirm ich.

Unfortunately, unless the wrasse went through copper or tank transfer method, 4 weeks isn't long enough for ich.

As far as any new treatments...no you still need to pull all fish, treat them, and fallow the tank. 90 days is way too long, however. 76 would be the longest it would possibly take, in lab type conditions.

Again, I wouldn't do anything but observe for now.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2019, 09:16 PM   #4
falconut
Registered Member

I do copper, but there's also tank transfer method & hyposalinity. And I believe you only need to leave the tank fishless for 76 days, but 90 wouldn't hurt anything. If you're doing copper, I highly recommend the Hanna copper checker, it helps get the copper level precise.

Old 10/11/2019, 11:39 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

4 weeks isn't enough to be sure that a fish is clean. That would take at a minimum 6, better 8 weeks.

As for ich/Cryptocaryon - with small fish I would always prefer tank transfers as that is the least invasive method to get rid of ich. Copper would be my last resort due to its immunosuppressant effect and the likelihood of triggering a Lymphocystis outbreak.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2019, 01:13 PM   #6
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
4 weeks isn't enough to be sure that a fish is clean. That would take at a minimum 6, better 8 weeks.

As for ich/Cryptocaryon - with small fish I would always prefer tank transfers as that is the least invasive method to get rid of ich. Copper would be my last resort due to its immunosuppressant effect and the likelihood of triggering a Lymphocystis outbreak.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I agree. No amount of QT is sufficient for preventing Ick. It can live through its life cycles and never show. TTM, Hypo and copper are the only ways to prevent Ick.

ICH: how to cure it, id it, understand it.

180 gallon, 30 gallon sump, 8 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 4 PJ and 2 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail and Bellus, Flame, Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is online now   Reply With Quote