Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2011, 09:44 AM   #376
laud
Registered Member

I just found your thread while browsing the LED DIY posts and I am in awe!

Thank you for documenting this entire process.

What is your opinion on the LED's compared to your T5 supplements?
Also, how much does the heat transfer from the sun to your tank? Does it require extra attention?

Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
—Lao-Tze

Current Tank Info: 210, 75 sump/refugium, AquaC EV-240, 3LB's Radium 20k, vho supplement and now a Korallin 1502 CR and a phosban reactor.
laud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2011, 04:24 AM   #377
Scungili
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUILLO1 View Post
about 2 months ago a huge Sunset monti colony I have started to bleach out. I thought it was dying but a friend of mine spotted the polyps were still alive. I'd say about 90% of it had bleached out.

I'm not sure why it bleached since I have another smaller colony in the opposite side of the tank and that one was fine. It is way high and it gets a ton of light from the tubes but it was there last year. It did fine last year. Well it has colored back up very nicely. I'd say that it has colored up about 90%. Here is a few pictures I just took a few minutes ago.
I am concerned about this. Ive wondered about solar tubes and the full extent of the sun's rays. THere are some Corals that can take it... Whe this bleaching occured was it perhaps during a time of year when the rays are more direct. Not necessarily Summer, but most likely... Or did you have any Ph Instability?

Scungili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2011, 08:59 PM   #378
GUILLO1
Registered Member

For those of you thinking of going with solartubes for lighting DON"T DO IT. It is the best ligthing for reefs IMO but the problem is that they are only good for a few years.

I recently borrowed Ace's PAR meter and I took some PAR readings and I couldn't get the same crazy PAR readings I used to get before. I had tried to clean the tubes but I didn't have no luck. I called Solatube and they told me that I should use soap and water to clean the inside of the tubes. So today I took out one tube and I removed an extension. The tubes did look dusty so I thought the water and soap would work. I even used some water from my neighbors car dealer. He has some RO commercial units from Culligan that they use to wash cars so that it doesn't leave any streaks. Well the water did remove some dust but the reflective material seems to be oxidated.

The reflective material used in the tubes is VERY reflective more than a mirror that is why it generates such high PAR readings. With the oxidation the PAR is cut in half or even more.

If the tubes are used to light a room or hall way you would not notice that the light has decreased. I even had to cut out a difussor that were glued to the bottom becuase it would block alot of light. For a reef it is critcal for the tubes to beam down the most light possible. Any oxidation will highly decrease the light output.

The tubes come with like a 10yr warranty so I called solatube to see if they would do something and they said they would call me back next week.

This is what I mean about the crazy PAR readings I used to get before

GUILLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2011, 01:18 AM   #379
freetareef
Registered Member

what is the par readings now? you never did post a pic with all the par readings around your tank...nice build tho...hope they replace your tubes.

freetareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2011, 05:22 AM   #380
salty joe
Registered Member

Well, that sucks. Please keep us posted as to how Sola tubes treats you.

Unread 04/30/2011, 09:25 AM   #381
mcarroll
Registered Member

GUILLO1:

Do you think having the tank-end of the tube fully sealed would have helped with your corrosion issue? Saltwater is corrosive to damn near everything, and if those tubes were not fairly well sealed they'd act like giant chimneys during the day/night (heating/cooling) cycle and would pull air from over the tank up into the mirrored area in the tubes. It would only be a few tiny saltwater particles that would make it, but over time - voila - corrosion. :-(

Logic seems sound on my theory, but wondering about your thoughts since you know the product from living with it.

Thanks for your feedback!

-Matt

mcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2011, 09:33 AM   #382
Reefski's
Registered Member

i have had some of the same issues with my light shaft lined with the same material. once oxidized it doesn't come back. i got the salt creep off but it still doesn't look good. however i am still getting great PAR readings three years after set up.

these readings were about 2pm on a recent sunny day.

Reefski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2011, 04:39 PM   #383
freetareef
Registered Member

sweet readings. no problems with to much light?

Unread 04/30/2011, 04:41 PM   #384
freetareef
Registered Member

is that the skylight shaft tank?

Unread 04/30/2011, 08:08 PM   #385
macma101
Registered Member

That LED system is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!

Current Tank Info: 50 Cube with 2 40 longs plumbed together(1 for sump and 1 for fuge)
macma101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2011, 11:37 PM   #386
Reefski's
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetareef View Post
sweet readings. no problems with to much light?
yes, some lps corals got burnt last year.

it is the tank with the skylight the footprint of the tank.

if you can do it solar is the way to go. electricity is only going to get more expensive. LEDs or not a skylight is probably cheaper than LEDs and will never wear out. i will do solar again next time one way or another.

Carl

Unread 05/08/2011, 04:26 PM   #387
LoneRanger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUILLO1 View Post
For those of you thinking of going with solartubes for lighting DON"T DO IT. It is the best ligthing for reefs IMO but the problem is that they are only good for a few years.

I recently borrowed Ace's PAR meter and I took some PAR readings and I couldn't get the same crazy PAR readings I used to get before. I had tried to clean the tubes but I didn't have no luck. I called Solatube and they told me that I should use soap and water to clean the inside of the tubes. So today I took out one tube and I removed an extension. The tubes did look dusty so I thought the water and soap would work. I even used some water from my neighbors car dealer. He has some RO commercial units from Culligan that they use to wash cars so that it doesn't leave any streaks. Well the water did remove some dust but the reflective material seems to be oxidated.

The reflective material used in the tubes is VERY reflective more than a mirror that is why it generates such high PAR readings. With the oxidation the PAR is cut in half or even more.

If the tubes are used to light a room or hall way you would not notice that the light has decreased. I even had to cut out a difussor that were glued to the bottom becuase it would block alot of light. For a reef it is critcal for the tubes to beam down the most light possible. Any oxidation will highly decrease the light output.

The tubes come with like a 10yr warranty so I called solatube to see if they would do something and they said they would call me back next week.

This is what I mean about the crazy PAR readings I used to get before
Bump, you never told us what your current par readings were, just that they were cut in half? You also never showed pictures of the inside of the tubes (which I would like to see) how are your corals doing currently? any drawbacks to the tank? I have a 300+ gallon tank and am thinking of doing 3 21" tubes for lighting. I have 4 250w mh now and am looking for something better. I live in central florida (Ocala area) and have plenty of sunshine.

thoughts?

L.R.

Current Tank Info: 300+ Room Divider
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2011, 08:35 PM   #388
Reefski's
Registered Member

go for it! that is a great idea! you will likely need some shading.

Unread 05/09/2011, 04:00 PM   #389
LoneRanger
Registered Member

Reefski, the oxidization/ salt creep issue you and others have is there a way to prevent it? Do you think it would be worse using tubes versus your sky light "box"? I am still wanting to know why GUILLO1 hasnt posted a photo of actual par readings, or comment on how well or not his livestock is doing. What is the depth of your tank? I think the tank in this thread is a "standard" 240 which is 24" deep (as is my tank)

thanks!

L.R.

Unread 05/13/2011, 02:25 PM   #390
freetareef
Registered Member

update?

Unread 05/16/2011, 06:40 AM   #391
LoneRanger
Registered Member

Bump again for updates~

Unread 05/20/2011, 06:42 PM   #392
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetareef View Post
what is the par readings now? you never did post a pic with all the par readings around your tank...nice build tho...hope they replace your tubes.
I had my PAR readings on a sheet of paper and I can't find it. When the tubes were new I could get around 1500 par say 5-6" below the water. Now I barley get 500 tops and just in a few areas. Its mainly around the 300 par range. Tubes are not like MH or T5's that give u an even par reading and at certain depth. With tubes you might get 1500 on one spot and u move the meter a 1/4 inch and the par is 700.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty joe View Post
Well, that sucks. Please keep us posted as to how Sola tubes treats you.
well after a bit of fighting with Solatube they finally gave me some new tubes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarroll View Post
GUILLO1:

Do you think having the tank-end of the tube fully sealed would have helped with your corrosion issue? Saltwater is corrosive to damn near everything, and if those tubes were not fairly well sealed they'd act like giant chimneys during the day/night (heating/cooling) cycle and would pull air from over the tank up into the mirrored area in the tubes. It would only be a few tiny saltwater particles that would make it, but over time - voila - corrosion. :-(

Logic seems sound on my theory, but wondering about your thoughts since you know the product from living with it.

Thanks for your feedback!
The tubes are sealed pretty good so its really hard to say if it was the salt creep or not. I'm going to try and make sure that they are sealed even more this time around.
-Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefski's View Post
i have had some of the same issues with my light shaft lined with the same material. once oxidized it doesn't come back. i got the salt creep off but it still doesn't look good. however i am still getting great PAR readings three years after set up.

these readings were about 2pm on a recent sunny day.
your readings are off the hook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macma101 View Post
That LED system is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!
yea its nice but I have to modify it so that it can light most of the tank. I'll be doing that in the next couple weeks. Once you go LED T5's don't cut it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
Bump, you never told us what your current par readings were, just that they were cut in half? You also never showed pictures of the inside of the tubes (which I would like to see) how are your corals doing currently? any drawbacks to the tank? I have a 300+ gallon tank and am thinking of doing 3 21" tubes for lighting. I have 4 250w mh now and am looking for something better. I live in central florida (Ocala area) and have plenty of sunshine.

thoughts?
Its really hard to look at the oxidation from a picture but I'll post one anyways. After my cheap Chinese driver burnt out, I left my corals without any actinics for over 2 weeks. (BIG MISTAKE) Most of my corals browned out, I didn't know that the actinic spectrum of light was so crucial. I put my old T5 fixture back up and the corals have made a little comeback. Knowing what I know now about solatubes and if your going to do an SPS tank I would go LEDs. The tubes are awesome for the 1st couple of years but I think they will all get oxidation and the PAR will be greatly reduced. Look into making your own DIY led fixture its not that expensive. If solatube had not replaced my tubes I would have done an LED for my tank. I will probably be doing one in a couple years.
L.R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
Reefski, the oxidization/ salt creep issue you and others have is there a way to prevent it? Do you think it would be worse using tubes versus your sky light "box"? I am still wanting to know why GUILLO1 hasnt posted a photo of actual par readings, or comment on how well or not his livestock is doing. What is the depth of your tank? I think the tank in this thread is a "standard" 240 which is 24" deep (as is my tank)

thanks!
sorry to taking so long on responding to your questions. I don't think there is a way of preventing oxidation on either one. As far as photos on my PAR readings I answered that above. I'll see if I happen to find any pictures in my albums. Yes my tank is 24" tall and I was getting between 300 and 400 par on the bottom of my tank.
L.R.
So I have come to the conclusion that solatubes will not work for the long run to light SPS tanks. I don't think its a matter of salt creep causing the oxidation. The sun is just to strong and the tubes reflective material been hit by it all day every day is just too much. Now will the oxidation affect the tubes for what they are meant to do (light up a closet) no. Mine still look very bright and if it wasn't for the PAR meter I would not have noticed.

I have to say that solatube is a stand up company. They gave me a hard time at first but they finally replaced my tubes. I had to take a section to where I bought them so they could see the oxidation themselves. Now I have free lighting for another couple years and after that I will go all LEDs.

my replacement tubes showed up in a whole pallet

Unread 05/20/2011, 06:48 PM   #393
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laud View Post
I just found your thread while browsing the LED DIY posts and I am in awe!

Thank you for documenting this entire process.

What is your opinion on the LED's compared to your T5 supplements?
Also, how much does the heat transfer from the sun to your tank? Does it require extra attention?
there is no comparison LEDs are 100% better than T5's. Now I say they are better as far as giving the corals some pop. I'm not sure how they compare in coral growth.

The tubes do not generate any heat once so ever. It does not require any extra attention. The only thing that is a bit difficult is to place some actinics because the tubes are so big.

Unread 05/20/2011, 08:37 PM   #394
salty joe
Registered Member

Do you think a coat of car wax might help the oxidation issue?

Unread 05/20/2011, 08:42 PM   #395
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty joe View Post
Do you think a coat of car wax might help the oxidation issue?
might help with the oxidation but I'm sure it will block the reflectiveness of the tubes. I'll take pictures of the inside of the new tubes and the old ones so you guys can see the difference. Putting pictures of them side by side you might be able to tell the difference.

Unread 08/08/2011, 04:56 PM   #396
GUILLO1
Registered Member

here are a few videos I took the other day

Unread 10/01/2011, 11:04 PM   #397
freetareef
Registered Member

sweet video man!!
I am glad they replaced your tubes!!! Your tank is looking great!!!

Unread 10/02/2011, 07:41 AM   #398
David - Miami
Aquanot!

That tank has really grown out. It looks great.

Unread 05/22/2012, 07:15 AM   #399
firecrackerbob
Registered Member

Do you have any updates? how are the new tubes working out? With everything you have gone through would you still reccomend sola tubes or would you stay way from them?--- im getting ready to build a fish room and am strongly considering them. thanks!

Current Tank Info: Salt: 55 w 20g sump/fuge-SPS/zoos --- Fresh: 120g koi tank
firecrackerbob is offline   Reply With Quote