Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2020, 07:18 PM   #1
Brieninsac
Registered Member

Are these blotches disease or injury on Kole Tang

He’s been in my system for 8 months after being quarantined. No health issues and has been an active fish in my DT.

Recently these blotches have shown up and I’m not sure what they are. All I can think of are flukes or bites from another fish. I have a blue jaw trigger and lemonpeel angel that could be the culprits.

Unread 03/03/2020, 08:02 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Possibly from the trigger but I would assume you would see more of a open wound if that was happening. Are you running carbon? Reminds me of hole in the head and HLLE

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2020, 01:59 PM   #3
Brieninsac
Registered Member

Yes, I'm running a carbon/GFO mix.

Unread 03/03/2020, 02:39 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Bites would likely be more in the tail/body areas.

Facial injuries would be more in line with him trying to eat something that put up a fight. This would, however, fit a predator better than an herbivore.

Carbon induced HLLE would be my first suspect with a Tang.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2020, 03:32 PM   #5
Brieninsac
Registered Member

I've never heard of HLLE before. Google says it stands for "Head and Lateral Line Erosion" is that correct? If so, how would carbon be causing some type of ailment? I can't certainly stop the carbon but at the risk of Nitrates increasing. I have a fish only system and as of Sunday I was at 28 ppm.

Unread 03/03/2020, 04:09 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Tests have shown that carbon dust in the water causes HLLE with a number of fish families. Tangs are among the most affected.

BTW, how does carbon help much with nitrates? It would have to be in an anaerobic environment to do anything. Though in such a setting it would rather be unlikely that carbon dust makes it into the water.

A better way to fight nitrates would be vodka or vinegar dossing together with wet skimming.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2020, 12:09 PM   #7
Brieninsac
Registered Member

I did read that about the carbon dust, which apparently is more prevalent in cheaper carbon products. I'm using the BRS Premium ROX 0.8 carbon, which should have little to no dust.

Based on the pictures of HLLE I have seen these blotches don't really look like it. This would leave injury from another fish as the most likely cause. The funny thing is I have never seen the Kole tang pestered by any tank mates and if anything he's the most aggressive one in the tank.

I guess I'll take a wait and see approach. I have another fish in QT so once he's done in a few weeks I might pull the Kole tank and put him in a hospital tank and see if I can get the wounds to heal. He's still active, eating well and showing no signs of any other ailment.

Unread 03/05/2020, 07:00 AM   #8
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieninsac View Post
I did read that about the carbon dust, which apparently is more prevalent in cheaper carbon products. I'm using the BRS Premium ROX 0.8 carbon, which should have little to no dust.

Based on the pictures of HLLE I have seen these blotches don't really look like it. This would leave injury from another fish as the most likely cause. The funny thing is I have never seen the Kole tang pestered by any tank mates and if anything he's the most aggressive one in the tank.

I guess I'll take a wait and see approach. I have another fish in QT so once he's done in a few weeks I might pull the Kole tank and put him in a hospital tank and see if I can get the wounds to heal. He's still active, eating well and showing no signs of any other ailment.
Enriched food with selcon and some other vitamin supplement and nori should help reverse the HLLE. It could take several months and may never fully go away. I had this happen years ago to one of my tangs after only 5 days of carbon being introduced to the tank. I removed it and the tang healed up after a month or two

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote