Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > GHL /ProfiLux / Mitras
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/30/2014, 02:36 PM   #1
billbunton
Registered Member

Can't update profilux firmware

I've spent the last two hours trying to update my profilux firmware to 6.11 (currently at 6.07). I've done it before, but I've tried both Profilux Control and GHL Control Center, and the profilux won't accept the download (in fact, it never comes up with the prompt I'm supposed to answer "yes" to). I've tried connected via TCP, both wired and wifi. I can't get a USB connection (never needed it before, either).

Anyone got any ideas?

billbunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2014, 09:03 PM   #2
Antipodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbunton View Post
I've spent the last two hours trying to update my profilux firmware to 6.11 (currently at 6.07). I've done it before, but I've tried both Profilux Control and GHL Control Center, and the profilux won't accept the download (in fact, it never comes up with the prompt I'm supposed to answer "yes" to). I've tried connected via TCP, both wired and wifi. I can't get a USB connection (never needed it before, either).

Anyone got any ideas?
So I guess you can connect OK. But can't see the download file?

Have you unzipped it? (Silly I know, but I have done it myself)

Antipodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2014, 04:30 AM   #3
billbunton
Registered Member

Yes, the software can see the download file fine. I select the download file, it goes through and checks the firmware file fine. It then says "Attention! You are about to overwrite the firmware of the connected device. Please confirm the message at the device with <Yes>!". But no message appears on the device.

If I click OK anyway (or check the box that says skip the security check), it spends time saying it's transmitting firmware file (erasing flash), but nothing ever shows up on the console, and I finally get a dialog box saying it "Error while transmitting firmware!: FLASHERASE - No response -8".

Unread 08/31/2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Antipodes
Registered Member

OK, sorry I did see you had tried the TCPIP connect but missed the bit about not using USB.
I personally could never get it download anything on the network, but always works with the USB or Serial cable.
If you go to the GHL site and troll the forum, every time they some one has this issue, they confirm that the Profilux does not support update by network.

If you had it work that way in the past I think maybe you were lucky. But the only way you are meant to do it is with the USB or serial cable.

Antipodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Halfmoon61
Registered Member

I was told by GHL that TCIP would not be supported for firmware updates. I've had the most luck by disconnecting everything, then connect to the Profilux box only with a serial to USB and use a USB 2.0 connection on my laptop. Then I use the flash tool. I had a lot of problems with firmware updates, since I started following this procedure I haven't had a failure since. HTH

Current Tank Info: 150 Peninsula
Halfmoon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 04:17 AM   #6
billbunton
Registered Member

I finally got it to update. I've never been able to establish a USB connection to the profilux at all, and I've never managed a USB connection to the Mitras from my desktop, only from the laptop. I still can't get a USB connection from the desktop, but I put the latest GCC on the laptop and finally managed to get a USB connection to the profilux and got the firmware updated.

What a pain. In most ways I prefer the profilux over the apex, but firmware updates is one place the apex does much better.