Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2019, 08:23 AM   #1
Lukel
Registered Member

Anyone recognize this calcium reactor?

Just looking to ID this calcium reactor I picked up... I'm going to run it...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190217_091312.jpg (82.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 20190217_091321.jpg (99.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20190217_091328.jpg (66.1 KB, 51 views)

Current Tank Info: 220 gal sps dominated
Lukel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

Knop???

Unread 02/17/2019, 01:34 PM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Knop???
Definitely not a Knopp. I ran Knopp reactors for years. To me it looks like a really old MRC reactor but the way the water returns to the bottom below the reactor body has me scratching my head. Looking at the way it’s plumbed, the manifold and the raised reactor body.. I can’t help but wonder if this was a custom made or modifed reactor.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 01:37 PM   #4
Lukel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Definitely not a Knopp. I ran Knopp reactors for years. To me it looks like a really old MRC reactor but the way the water returns to the bottom below the reactor body has me scratching my head. Looking at the way it’s plumbed, the manifold and the raised reactor body.. I can’t help but wonder if this was a custom made or modifed reactor.
Searching through images on Google the closest thing I can find is an old-school Geo reactor

Unread 02/17/2019, 01:52 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukel View Post
Searching through images on Google the closest thing I can find is an old-school Geo reactor
I’ve run old Geo’s and I’ve never seen any that have the return circulation going into a box below the reactor body. They did however have a Kalk reactor that had the return going into a box at the bottom of the body. To me it almost looks like an old down draft or beckett skimmer that was converted to a calcium reactor but there are so many reactor companies that have come and gone over the years that you never know. I’ve never seen one like that and can’t find any similar to it. I’d like to see that Geo you are talking about.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 07:41 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Looks like an old MRC upflow unit to me. Don’t think the bottom is a ‘box’, rather a stand so the return can be plumbed up through the bottom.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 07:58 PM   #7
Lukel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Looks like an old MRC upflow unit to me. Don’t think the bottom is a ‘box’, rather a stand so the return can be plumbed up through the bottom.
Yes. I'm sorry for the picture quality. But it is just a stand.