Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2016, 03:54 PM   #1
marineMentor
Registered Member

Kessil Warranty Fails Me

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with a broken A360W Tuna Sun E-series light.
The short version:
It broke, was still within the 2 year warranty (1.5 yr old), and they did not warranty the light. Instead, I was offered one at $210 USD, plus $30 USD shipping, plus $56 CND duties paid. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed in Kessil as a company.
The long version:
I own two A360W E-series tuna sun led lamps.
One recently failed after 1.5 years of use on a 90 gallon planted tank. It just stopped working. All I get is a flash of light when I plug it in. Then nothing. And it won’t repeat that flash until I leave it unplugged for 15 mins while the transformer resets itself. I maintained the light and dust it often using compressed air in a can. The light shouldn’t have failed, but it did. And it was under warranty, but a replacement wasn’t offered.
As you can imagine, I’m very disappointed and expected these (supposedly?) high quality lights to work hassle free for years. I was even more disappointment when Kessil’s turned their back on me (i.e., warranting the light and sending a free replacement) when the light was still under the 2 year warranty period.
I was also denied access to repair service because I live outside of the US (in fact, all international customers are denied repair services). Instead, was offered a special “one time deal” which I begrudgingly bought, but am now second-guessing my decision. I contacted Kessil first by email and then by phone. Both agents (and I spoke to the customer service manager on the phone) offered the same solution—I could buy a light at a reduced cost. The first offer was $270 USD and the second was $210USD (Plus $30 USD shipping and $56 CND duty at the door). So after all the fees and exchange rate to canada, the light cost me nearly $400 dollars—the same price as my original light cost.
Has anyone else had similar poor experiences?
Or the opposite situation—did Kessil’s customer service blow you away?
It’d be nice to find out if I’m a ‘one-off’ or if this is the norm.
Cheers.

marineMentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 03:56 PM   #2
toothybugs
In Memoriam

Did you have proof of purchase?

They were awesome when my A160 blew out after 7 months - quite literally snap, crackle, puff of smoke. New light in hand 3 days later.

toothybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 04:03 PM   #3
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineMentor View Post
Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with a broken A360W Tuna Sun E-series light.
The short version:
It broke, was still within the 2 year warranty (1.5 yr old), and they did not warranty the light. Instead, I was offered one at $210 USD, plus $30 USD shipping, plus $56 CND duties paid. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed in Kessil as a company.
The long version:
I own two A360W E-series tuna sun led lamps.
One recently failed after 1.5 years of use on a 90 gallon planted tank. It just stopped working. All I get is a flash of light when I plug it in. Then nothing. And it won’t repeat that flash until I leave it unplugged for 15 mins while the transformer resets itself. I maintained the light and dust it often using compressed air in a can. The light shouldn’t have failed, but it did. And it was under warranty, but a replacement wasn’t offered.
As you can imagine, I’m very disappointed and expected these (supposedly?) high quality lights to work hassle free for years. I was even more disappointment when Kessil’s turned their back on me (i.e., warranting the light and sending a free replacement) when the light was still under the 2 year warranty period.
I was also denied access to repair service because I live outside of the US (in fact, all international customers are denied repair services). Instead, was offered a special “one time deal” which I begrudgingly bought, but am now second-guessing my decision. I contacted Kessil first by email and then by phone. Both agents (and I spoke to the customer service manager on the phone) offered the same solution—I could buy a light at a reduced cost. The first offer was $270 USD and the second was $210USD (Plus $30 USD shipping and $56 CND duty at the door). So after all the fees and exchange rate to canada, the light cost me nearly $400 dollars—the same price as my original light cost.
Has anyone else had similar poor experiences?
Or the opposite situation—did Kessil’s customer service blow you away?
It’d be nice to find out if I’m a ‘one-off’ or if this is the norm.
Cheers.
Push the cord in at the top of the fixture and tell me if it works. Not the point I know but try it

Zacktosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 04:46 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

What reason did they give for not honoring the warranty?

Unread 11/29/2016, 05:51 PM   #5
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I thought kessil was a 1 year warranty.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 06:04 PM   #6
timnem70
Registered Member

The box comes with paperwork that takes you through the process. It specifically notes that without specific proof of purchase and send in the warranty card, you are out. Its also only, like your cellphone, good on only manufacturer defects. Its pretty straightforward about it. I hope you get this resolved.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

timnem70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 06:08 PM   #7
timnem70
Registered Member

Also, I run a Kessil A360 we Tuna Blue with T5 supplementation it's great for the application I have. Again, I hope this is a fluke and you just got a bad light. Frankly, the company didn't have to do anything, unless you did in fact send in the card and were the one who bought it new.

Unread 11/29/2016, 06:23 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
I thought kessil was a 1 year warranty.
It's is. The OP is either a troll or is misinformed. Note that he just registered here and his only 2 posts were complaining about Kessil not honoring his warranty when in fact, his warranty had expired and they even offered him nearly 50% off on a replacement. I think that is pretty honorable on the part of Kessil. Especially without knowing if this was an induced issue or not.

This is the warranty card pulled from one of my original 360WE boxes. Note the warranty period of one year. SMH

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 06:43 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

There are LOTS of references to a 2 year warranty (on the internet which is always the truth) when lights purchased through authorized dealers,etc... I can't find anything on the Kessil site (except for the hydro section and it states 1 year)..

Being out of the warranty period would certainly make sense as to why the warranty wasn't honored..

Unread 11/29/2016, 06:47 PM   #10
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
The OP is either a troll or is misinformed. Note that he just registered here and his only 2 posts were complaining about Kessil not honoring his warranty when in fact, his warranty had expired...
Yeah, something smells "fishy" here....

Although, TBH, I also remember seeing references to a 2-year warranty somewhere, although it is obviously stated clearly above and on their website.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 07:58 PM   #11
timnem70
Registered Member

All great responses

Unread 11/29/2016, 08:36 PM   #12
cbear9494
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnem70 View Post
All great responses

He posted identical post on Reddit/r/reeftank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 11/29/2016, 08:59 PM   #13
timnem70
Registered Member

Too much Craigslist swapping going on out there for companies to be lax on warranty. Knowing that a company like Kessil, who I have heard everything good and bad about in regards to spread and PAR but never includes any "just stopped working for no reason" crap.

Unread 12/03/2016, 06:03 PM   #14
marineMentor
Registered Member

Hey all, thanks for the comments.

To clarify a few things:

- I bought the lights brand new and provided a receipt to Kessil.

-Yes, I just signed up here recently to share my experience with this issue specifically. I wanted to let people know about my bad experience with Kessil.

- I haven't provided any false information on my OP. If I'm wrong about something, it wasn't malicious. Again, I wanted to share this mishap because, as you can imagine, I am pretty disappointed with them.

- I think I will go back to the LFS and see if they can help me. I just didn't initially because I thought I had to deal with the warranty issue myself. Maybe I'm wrong.

marineMentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2016, 07:02 PM   #15
minus9
Registered Member

I've never had a problem with Kessil and their warranty. In fact, I had a light that I bought second hand and was having an issue with it and they offered to replace it for a reduced price. The other light, which was under warranty, they replaced without question. They took my cc#, sent me a replacement and I sent the faulty light back to them. After all this, I found the problem wasn't the lights, but a bad control cable from my apex. In my book, once the warranty has expired, you're on your own, but it's nice knowing that they stand behind their products and are willing to work with their customers.

minus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2016, 08:19 PM   #16
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineMentor View Post
Hey all, thanks for the comments.

To clarify a few things:

- I bought the lights brand new and provided a receipt to Kessil.

-Yes, I just signed up here recently to share my experience with this issue specifically. I wanted to let people know about my bad experience with Kessil.

- I haven't provided any false information on my OP. If I'm wrong about something, it wasn't malicious. Again, I wanted to share this mishap because, as you can imagine, I am pretty disappointed with them.

- I think I will go back to the LFS and see if they can help me. I just didn't initially because I thought I had to deal with the warranty issue myself. Maybe I'm wrong.
There is no warranty if the lights were more than a year old as you stated. The warranty on the lights is 1 year. As mentioned above, this is the warranty card from my nearly 2 year old Kessil 360WE's. I pulled this right out of the original boxes. If your LFS is willing to help you, I would talk to them but as I said, the warranty is 1 year as far as I am ware in both the US and Canada.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 12/03/2016, 08:36 PM   #17
jpfishfan09
Registered Member

My kessil a160we had a two year warranty. I called and they sent me a new one after a year and a half because 4 of the diodes were out.

jpfishfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2016, 09:17 PM   #18
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfishfan09 View Post
My kessil a160we had a two year warranty. I called and they sent me a new one after a year and a half because 4 of the diodes were out.
Interesting. Marine Depot states 2 year warranty but the above warranty card came from one of the boxes from my 360WE's. Maybe they changed their warranty period.

Unread 12/03/2016, 10:59 PM   #19
GrampaDon
Registered Member

Same positive experience here. I had a problem with a fan on a 8mo old unit. Kessil paid shipping both ways to fix it. and had it back in a week.
The 3 360W's are now 2 years old.

Unread 12/03/2016, 11:00 PM   #20
moondoggy4
Registered Member

His argument is mute He lives outside the US so no warranty, no different if someone in Canada buys a Tunze,. Tunze will not honor the warranty.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2016, 02:29 AM   #21
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
His argument is mute He lives outside the US so no warranty, no different if someone in Canada buys a Tunze,. Tunze will not honor the warranty.
That is incorrect about Kessil warranty in Canada. They just replaced an A360WE for me when the fan stopped working and it kept shutting off. Only had to pay postage from California ($35), they did not even want the broken unit back.
In speaking to them, they said they usually honor 2 years in US, 1 year Canada and Europe.

Last edited by ComforablyNumb; 12/04/2016 at 02:37 AM.
ComforablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 11:57 AM   #22
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up Kessil 2 Year Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Interesting. Marine Depot states 2 year warranty but the above warranty card came from one of the boxes from my 360WE's. Maybe they changed their warranty period.
We contacted Kessil this morning after reading this thread and confirmed the warranty is indeed 2 years.

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 02:10 PM   #23
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
We contacted Kessil this morning after reading this thread and confirmed the warranty is indeed 2 years.
Then what reason does Kessil give for not honoring the warranty?

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 02:14 PM   #24
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Question Kessil Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooman72 View Post
Then what reason does Kessil give for not honoring the warranty?
Not sure. However, if the OP purchased from MD we are happy to work with them to get to the bottom of things. Give us a call or shoot us an email.

Unread 12/08/2016, 12:49 PM   #25
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Exclamation Kessil Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
We just wanted to follow up to clarify the warranty coverage since I incorrectly presumed we were just talking about the United States. So here's how it works:

US Warranty - 2 years when you register your product and buy it from an authorized distributor.

International Warranty - 1 year in most countries. Check with Kessil directly or contact an authorized distributor in your country to be sure.

Hope that helps!