Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/11/2020, 10:32 AM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

What should I be looking for 3 weeks into quarantine?

I purchased a tiny green coris wrasse from my LFS 3 weeks ago. I did not do any preventative treatment. My QT tank matches the LFS’ salinity at 1.017. He was very skinny and pale when I picked him up but now has good coloration and a very fat belly.

Considering he hasn’t shown any signs of ick or dropped dead from velvet, can I go ahead and add him to my DT? Are there any parasites that I have to watch out for at this point?

When I asked, my LFS did not recommend allowing evaporation to raise the QT tanks salinity before acclimation to my DT. They said to keep the QT consistent and then do it in one shot over the course of 2 hours (1.017 -> 1.025). Is this the best course of action?

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2020, 12:15 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

I disagree with your lfs. Slow is good so long as the measure is accurate. Poorly done rapid acclimation probably kills more fish in this hobby than ich. And a lengthy acclimation after shipping is outright lethal. If you will read the sticky post 'death in bags' up top this will explain it.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2020, 12:45 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Absolutely incorrect advice from a LFS.
When we are changing from a lower salinity to a higher one, you should never surpass 0.002 increase in salinity per day. Fish get very stressed when salinity increases quickly as it takes time for them to adjust in terms respiratory functions. That’s why fish who are put into much higher salinities from much lower ones, usually sit on the bottom in a corner for a day or two and either make it, or die of stress.

I would move your fish upwards in salinity at a rate of 0.001 each day, so that process could take a week. I’m being very safe in the 0.001 per day rate.

We are three weeks in, eating, breathing, colour, I’d be good go, checking for parasites both visually and/or behavioral changes we look for all the time.
Watch for spots or dots of any type, scratching, rapid breathing, lethargic, glassy eyes, skin discoloration, swimming constantly into a direct flow, to name a few.

In contrast, fish moving from higher to lower salinity can be done same day.

Last edited by Uncle99; 07/11/2020 at 12:52 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote