Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 09/19/2018, 10:13 AM   #1
xclusive252
NY Reef Club member
 
xclusive252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lindenhurst LI
Posts: 525
DIY Chaeto Reactor

Looking to build one and wanted to see what people has done already and maybe steal some of your ideas .


xclusive252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2018, 06:12 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 17,154
A quick search on here as well a google yields a plethora of images/ideas/threads about them.. Have you tried that?

In general most simply repurpose other media reactors and simply wrap some LED tape lights around the outside..


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2018, 07:29 AM   #3
dannyfish
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: rosemead
Posts: 205
Just put it directly in your display tank. You save money and cost of electricity.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


dannyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2018, 03:18 PM   #4
xclusive252
NY Reef Club member
 
xclusive252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lindenhurst LI
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyfish View Post
Just put it directly in your display tank. You save money and cost of electricity.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So a display tank of chaeto ??? hmmmmm


xclusive252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2018, 03:21 PM   #5
xclusive252
NY Reef Club member
 
xclusive252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lindenhurst LI
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
A quick search on here as well a google yields a plethora of images/ideas/threads about them.. Have you tried that?

In general most simply repurpose other media reactors and simply wrap some LED tape lights around the outside..
Figured it would be a good topic since its the new thing and alot of ppl are doing it. Getting a reactor and wrapping lights to me isnt DIY. Was looking for people to find the materials at a store or online to make one. Most GFO/Carbon reactors have a small dia. like 4" where as in a chaeto reactor there some where in the 8" dia. But thank you Ill look into and hope that RC Mods feel the way I do and keep it open.


xclusive252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2018, 03:26 PM   #6
steamman
Registered Member
 
steamman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 248
I can't get mine to grow. It has been the same size for 4 months. Very dark green and healthy looking. Looks like really dark green brillo. Not to get off subject but I also can't get any GHA to grow either. I am a little worried about my clean up crew.


__________________
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675
English mathematician & physicist (1642 - 1727)

Current Tank Info: 800 gal of salt water flowing in my basement
steamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2018, 05:40 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 17,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamman View Post
I can't get mine to grow. It has been the same size for 4 months. Very dark green and healthy looking. Looks like really dark green brillo. Not to get off subject but I also can't get any GHA to grow either. I am a little worried about my clean up crew.
What are your Nitrate and phosphate levels?.. Algea needs light and nutrients and a few other key elements (iron,etc...)..
Quite often chaeto does great till it lowers your nutrients then it starves...


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2018, 05:52 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 17,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive252 View Post
Figured it would be a good topic since its the new thing and alot of ppl are doing it. Getting a reactor and wrapping lights to me isnt DIY. Was looking for people to find the materials at a store or online to make one. Most GFO/Carbon reactors have a small dia. like 4" where as in a chaeto reactor there some where in the 8" dia. But thank you Ill look into and hope that RC Mods feel the way I do and keep it open.
Some nice cast acrylic tube along with some flat pieces to make end caps..then some bulkheads and various fittings..then some tape lights would get you started on that...
Extruded acrylic tube will save some money but is far more brittle and prone to cracking.


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.