Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2018, 07:21 PM   #1
Slicercrush
Registered Member

Beginners Research

Hello All!

Its always hard to figure out how to start these posts off, as I can be more than sure there is plenty of them already, but I always find a personal post to bring me some of the most valuable information.

I am not new to the aquarium hobby, having kept freshwater fish for close to about 10 years now, but it is only now that i've decided to start scratching the itching feeling to begin keeping a saltwater tank.

And so, as with all new pet endeavors, begins my usual hunt for all the common basic info I need to begin. Luckily, forums like this one always seem to provide me with he best answers!

I have been searching around the last few days to start getting some info down, and in the least, I can say i've made an ok start, though much of the research led to many more questions. To begin, I have decided that I wanted to convert my 20 gallon tall freshwater over to saltwater, meaning that it will be considered a "nano" saltwater aquarium. I have heard that keeping larger tanks with saltwater can be much easier, but with my current space constrains in my room I don't believe I can do anything larger.

That being said, much of the equipment and new ways of doing things is quite new to me, being a bit different than what is done in the freshwater hobby. I suppose it would be easier to list my wants for this tank followed by the questions, since from what I can tell what I want to keep will determine what I need to run the tank.

My current want for this tank is it to be a 20 gallon nano reef. Looking around, I see my main choice in fish to be clowns, cardinals, and gobys as good starter fish, as well as a few soft corals to try and do something a little more with the tank, preferably Zoas, Mushrooms, or Euphyllia if possible (I love the look of torch corals!)

As for my main questions here:

Filtration: This one seems to be a big one. I have seen posts saying that a skimmer will be necessary, some saying it wont. Alongside this, I have also found conflicting opinions on whether or not a HOB/Canister filter is needed, or if you can just rely on the bacteria in the live rock/sand alongside a powerhead (which seems strange to me, my guess is that I will need one to remove large particulates). With this, what are some nice filters that you guys recommend, and skimmers if you feel I will require one.

Lighting: A big one with the wanting of corals. I want to do this on a budget, but I don't mind having to save for a while to make sure everything goes smoothly. I don't plan on adding corals right off the bat, until I know that the fish are stable, but a good lighting recommendation for a "starter" tank would be a huge plus in my search.

Powerheads: One or two? I suppose thats the main question. What are some simple, affordable powerheads that you all use?

Fish and Coral Suggestions: Don't want to get ahead of myself with the stock, what do you guys recommend? Did I choose ones that wouldn't be good for beginners?

Heater Suggestions: Pretty self explanatory.

Cycling With/Without a fish: I have done both successfully in freshwater, but I am not completely sure how well this would work in saltwater. I do plan to add some of the bottled bacteria as well, which has often worked with this stuff int he past for me. I have heard some recommend a single cardinal/clown to start the process, and slowly add more overtime, which would go with my plans very well.

Other needed equipment/small questions: Do soft corals need calcium? Should saltwater be prepared the night before, or just a few hours beforehand? How often do you guys recommend water changes in a saltwater tank? What other things am I missing here?

Sorry to ask so many questions at once, but I am hoping to get as much info as I can before I make the first purchase! Any and all suggestions are well appreciated, thank you!

Slicercrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 05:06 PM   #2
outssider
Registered Member

If you get the Tetra Whisper Power Filter 60 Model 3 for your 10 gallon ($22) you'll have plenty of flow and you won't need any other pump. Any power heads in a ten gallon will look messy and take up too much room (I used this on my cousins 10 gallon). I also got him this light....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-72W-Dimm...p/351897065584

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 07:51 PM   #3
Drewbe147
Registered Member

Ok to start answering some questions for your 20Tall.

Filtration- I wouldn’t bother with a skimmer on that size personally while they can be beneficial they are far from required. I would rely on the rock/sand for your source of filtration along with water changes. I wouldn’t use a canister at all and a hang on the back is more your preference where you still don’t technically need one to be successful but it could house some media and/or carbon for your system giving you more surface area for your bacterial population and the carbon to polish the water as you feel you need it.

Lighting- there’s literally so many options out there I would recommend reading alot of lighting articles and choosing something thats got good recommendations via the forums from ones who’ve personally used them. Just be sure what you pick will have the proper spectrum you need. I prefer a 2 channel and use 2 Ocean revive T247B “black boxes” above my 4’ 90gal

Powerhead- The HOB will also give you some flow but I would still probably put a small nano powerhead in there like a hydor nano personally and theyre cheap. One would be fine you don’t need a huge bulky PH in there and can actually work it somewhat into your scape to somewhat hide it just be sure it’s still accessible for cleaning.

Cycle- If you use live rock your cycle period should be minimal to a sense but I would still test ammonia nitrite nitrate before adding anything due to die off. Bottled bacteria like Bio Spira is good stuff too IMO and wouldn’t hurt anything but may alter how your cycle reads. If dry rock is what you plan to start with a longer cycle is a must IMO and I would cycle fishless personally.

Fish and coral suggestions- this to me is really personal on what you want out of your tank. You mentioned Zoas, shrooms, Euphyllias all of which are some of my personal favorites. First coral in my tank was a Torch and now i have multiple heads of 5 different color torches, 6 different hammers, and 1 frogspawn. They are absolutely stunning and would recommend them. I have many different Zoas all over my tank and you can get some amazing colors. I dont find any of the ones you mentioned to be difficult to keep as long as your maintaining good water quality. For fish I wouldn’t pair clowns in there only a single due to size of the tank. Cardinals and gobies are beautiful as well. I don’t believe in the “x inch fish per gallon” rule because to me it’s all about adult size and swim space needed and where they actually are going to be swimming (bottom middle or top of tank) all while considering what kind of bioload they are going to put out and if my system can handle the waste. The biggest thing about any coral or fish is knowing how to care for them and how they grow and plan accordingly.

Heater suggestion- I use and like Eheim but theres other good ones as well

As for your preparing saltwater question I have made some hours before but prefer a overnight mixing. I have a mixing station built but I do have a larger tank. For you and for water changes I would still make it the night before buy a extra powerhead heater and 5 gallon bucket. 5 gallon water changes either weekly or biweekly depending on how frequently your tank needs it. I would also check your water and look into if a RODI unit is in your budget to get the cleanest water possible. Your water could have many undesirable things in it for a saltwater tank. Water changes are a great way to export nitrates, detritus, and fix many thing with your tank. It also helps give you good husbandry with your system and gives you a good excuse to do any other maintenance needed like cleanin the glass or fixing a coral etc. softies I wouldnt worry about calcium at all being they have no skeletal structure they don’t use it But Euphyllias do so if you want them youll need to test for calcium alkalinity and magnesium. Pick a salt you like and go with it. Many brands out there and personally I used regular purple box of Instant Ocean and I love it and its one of the cheaper ones out there.

Make sure you stay up on your top off water as well so you don’t get salinity swings. From my experience so far its been more of keeping parameters stable and less about chasing one particular number

Hopefully I answered atleast some of your questions, good luck, and welcome to the saltwater world!

Drew

Current Tank Info: 90 gal DT 29gal sump. Equipment: 2 OR T247B, RO Varios6 return, RO 150SSS, 2 XF250 Gyres, Jager 300W
Drewbe147 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, corals, fish suggestions, reef, suggestions needed