Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/11/2008, 05:55 AM   #1
fish lad
Moved On

Exclamation just been bitten by blue ring

about 3 mins ago

what do i do, i am off to hospital now! what do i tell them?

PLEASE FFS I AM SERIOUS am i going to die

Last edited by DgenR8; 02/18/2008 at 05:45 AM.
Unread 02/11/2008, 06:03 AM   #2
waif
Registered Member

Bite it back?

Unread 02/11/2008, 06:04 AM   #3
waif
Registered Member

Seriously go to the hospital

Unread 02/11/2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Pea-brain
Moved On

I hope you are kidding...

If you are not have them put you on life support for 24 hours. The venom will flush out of your system by then. While it is in your body cannot support itself.

Dan

Unread 02/11/2008, 02:09 PM   #5
TellyFish
Registered Member

Just for reference, the ReefCentral Forums cannot and should not be considered an acceptable alternative to 911.

Seriously, I hope everything is OK.

Current Tank Info: Hawaiian inspired 109g Miracles Rimless - 100g Prop Tank - 300g total system volume
Unread 02/11/2008, 04:56 PM   #6
Animal Mother
Registered Member

I don't think the first I would do if I was bitten by a blue ring would be jump on here and wait for an answer.

needs is someone to throw hand grenades at him for
the rest of his life." - Full Metal Jacket

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon cube, w/ 30 gallon sump, octopus-proof lid. Dry for now.
Unread 02/11/2008, 05:03 PM   #7
Phyxius
Moving About

I dont think I would be posting here as first thought either. I knew these were bad if bitten but a quick search brought up this:

The bite of the blue-ringed octopus may be painless but it is definitely deadly. Its venom contains some maculotoxin which is more violent than any animals found on land. This poison is 10,000 times more potent that cyanide. Upon being bitten, the victim's nerve conduction is stopped and paralysis sets in after a few minutes. Paralysis is then followed by death. Some symptoms are as follows:

*Nausea

*Blindness

*Loss of all other senses

If you do see someone get bit you should immediately call 911, and then apply compression to the wound as if it was a snake bite. Artificial respiration should also be started as soon as possible. The only way to survive is hours of heart massage and artificial respiration until the poison has worked its way out of the system. There is no anit-venom to date.

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.
W. C. Fields

Current Tank Info: JUST SOLD AND TOOK DOWN ALL 11/10---210g AGA, 80g sump, Tunze Streams. Tunze ATO,RK Elite Controller, RKII,Dart, GEO Calcium& Nielsen Kalk Reactors,GEO media reactor, Kaleini Rock, 3-250 watt 14k EVC , VHO..... 34g Solana and 60g cube
Unread 02/12/2008, 12:49 AM   #8
Echidna09
Registered Member

FYI the toxin blue rings have is Tetrodotoxin, or TTX; the same thing that is found in Fugu. There was a little vile that was supposed to cure the poison somewhere online. The price tag was $500 for I believe only one treatment. To my knowledge, research has not been done to find out whether or not a blue ring is as poisonous when it is in captivity, and it is believed that captive specimens do not carry a sufficient amount of TTX to kill a human. You still need to be extremely careful though and don't experiment!

I don't think I believe it either. Seems like a troll to me...

If you really did get bit I wish you the best on a recovery.

Unread 02/12/2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Thales
Registered Member

Their bite is apparently not always toxin laden, like Echidna says so, if this isn't a troll I hope this is the case an you are just fine. FWIW, there seems to be conflicting reports of toxicity in captivity.

Otherwise, to anyone choosing to keep potentially deadly animals, be sure to know what to do if you are bitten BEFORE you are bitten.

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Unread 02/16/2008, 10:24 AM   #10
andygb54303
Registered Member

no response he must have died, a moment of silence please.

i dont beleive it

Unread 02/16/2008, 05:53 PM   #11
MonkeyKeeper911
Registered Member

who gets bit then jumps online and makes a post saying ok im going to the hospital now.

Unread 02/17/2008, 06:26 PM   #12
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

I assume this was a troll and that no harm was done. However, it did point out to me how much misinformation there is about blue-rings.

First, it is correct that the active toxin in Hapalochlaena species that have been studied to date is TTX. However, that includes only H. fasciata, H. maculosa and H. lunulata. There are probably another half dozen or so species out their that have not been described or studied. The assumption is that they have TTX. How much is open to speculation.

Second, there are absolutely no data to my knowledge that report a loss of toxicity in any blue-ring when it is kept in the aquarium. There have been suggestions that this happens with puffers, but it has not been reported in blue-rings. It is a topic that we are working on, but the the data are not yet in. Therefore, one should assume that any blue-ring contains a lethal dose of TTX.

Third, death from a blue-ring envenomation is due to the cessation of breathing. Ventilation is sometimes called for, but one would want to leave the heart along unless a health professional detects a problem.

Fourth, there is no currently approved anti-venom.

Fifth, if you plan on keeping a blue-ring, you should do what we do - notify local emergency responders and ER's that you have such an animal and that it possesses TTX. That way, if you are transported to an emergency facility, the medics will know what they are dealing with. In fact, every blue-ring tank in our lab has a warning label describing what it contains and how to deal with an emergency .

Roy

Unread 02/17/2008, 11:23 PM   #13
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonodactylus
[B]
Second, there are absolutely no data to my knowledge that report a loss of toxicity in any blue-ring when it is kept in the aquarium. There have been suggestions that this happens with puffers, but it has not been reported in blue-rings. It is a topic that we are working on, but the the data are not yet in. Therefore, one should assume that any blue-ring contains a lethal dose of TTX.
Thanks Roy! Is it true that they can bite without 'injecting' TTX?

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Unread 02/18/2008, 01:14 AM   #14
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

The venom delivery system is passive. The salivary ducts empty near the beak, so the TTX basically dribbles into the wound. This means that circumstances of the bite will vary. Also, there is some debate on whether TTX will penetrate the skin if there is not a bite.

Roy

Unread 02/18/2008, 11:22 AM   #15
Thales
Registered Member

Thanks for the clarifications Roy.

Unread 03/04/2008, 04:52 PM   #16
Twisted
Premium Member

Glad to see such and expert on the forums with such a dangerous species available to the public.
You would not beleive how many people I have had come into the store that saw one online and wants me to order them one.
I usually refuse, unless they can give me some specifics on keeping them, then I know they atleast researched them.

Unread 03/04/2008, 05:18 PM   #17
Plankt0s
Premium Member

why don't you just not ever order one for anyone... The only people that should have animals like this are the people that are studying them professionally. If we the hobbyist are not more responsible than to own such a deadly animal than there eventually will be some type of control placed on this and other animals limiting what we will be able to keep.

Unread 03/04/2008, 05:21 PM   #18
Twisted
Premium Member

If I don't order them for anyone, am I not already limiting what you may keep?

Unread 03/04/2008, 06:59 PM   #19
Thales
Registered Member

Unread 03/04/2008, 07:20 PM   #20
Twisted
Premium Member

How are you Rich? Didn't see you at the MARS swap last weekend.
I am thinking about doing a Cephlapod soon, so might ask you your opinion on a couple things once the tank is up and running to see what you think, and suggest, if you don't mind. That won't be for a good 6 months though.

Unread 03/04/2008, 07:30 PM   #21
Thales
Registered Member

Im super, thanks for asking.

I couldn't make it to the swap - way too much going on. I heard it was good though. Do you think you'll make it to the BAR regional swap in August?

Ask away when you are ready, but I think you'll want one of these:

Unread 03/04/2008, 07:36 PM   #22
Twisted
Premium Member

Whats max size on him, are those ones reef safe by chance? He would look great in my 55 gallon reef, but my anemone would eat him.

Bar swap should be a go for me, my baby is due in April, so hopefully the wife will be willing to let me go.

Mars we had like 30 people show up between the Redding club and the Chico club, so hopefully we can get close to that again for BAR, a bit more of a drive though.

Unread 03/04/2008, 07:42 PM   #23
Freed
It's what it's

If you're stupid enough to have a blue ring then the consequences should come as no surprise to you when you get bit. That's just too funny

Current Tank Info: 180gal(1120 watts of MH/VHO light), 60gal "sump", Deltec 601 calcium reactor, Euro Reef CS8-3+ skimmer, 20 gallon QT
Unread 03/04/2008, 08:00 PM   #24
trae
DR Octopod

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Phyxius
[B]I dont think I would be posting here as first thought either. I knew these were bad if bitten but a quick search brought up this:

The bite of the blue-ringed octopus may be painless but it is definitely deadly. Its venom contains some maculotoxin which is more violent than any animals found on land. This poison is 10,000 times more potent that cyanide. Upon being bitten, the victim's nerve conduction is stopped and paralysis sets in after a few minutes. Paralysis is then followed by death. Some symptoms are as follows:

**** ** *Loss of all other senses******
Common senses?
Now i see why he waited to die Bwaaa!!

What tha Frag!

Current Tank Info: 240gal mixed reef build in the works
Unread 03/13/2008, 04:27 PM   #25
FishyMel
Registered Member

I think this guy was pulling our legs, I seriously doubt he came and posted this and then went to the hospital. Then he never posted again...

Anyway fro whay I've heard only 3 have died from a bluering in history and their beak is usually to small to penetrate human skin. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Closed Thread