Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2010, 03:09 PM   #126
aninjaatemyshoe
Registered Member

Gresham means that marine-based feeds (ie frozen brine, prawn ova, etc.) spoil quickly even in chilled water (worse in freshwater because there is an ionic imbalance). Chilling the water would be better than room temp water, but still not great. The best choice would be to add the food to the tank immediately after it is thawed, but this isn't an easy option for continuous feeding.

Unread 08/13/2010, 03:41 PM   #127
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreak218 View Post
Oh okay, so you recommend feeding only foods that can be stored at room temperature, as chilling marine foods can cause nutritional degradation?
What method do you use/recommend to feed Gresham?
I would be out of a job if I made such assertions, I work in the refrigerated marine feed business The method I would use would entail using Reef Nutrition feeds in a refrigerator and using the Steve Weast style plumbing as explained in this thread... but I would add the venturis

Aninjatemyshoe explained below

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjaatemyshoe View Post
Gresham means that marine-based feeds (ie frozen brine, prawn ova, etc.) spoil quickly even in chilled water (worse in freshwater because there is an ionic imbalance). Chilling the water would be better than room temp water, but still not great. The best choice would be to add the food to the tank immediately after it is thawed, but this isn't an easy option for continuous feeding.
Exactly

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2010, 03:48 PM   #128
Fishfreak218
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreshamH View Post
I would be out of a job if I made such assertions, I work in the refrigerated marine feed business The method I would use would entail using Reef Nutrition feeds in a refrigerator and using the Steve Weast style plumbing as explained in this thread... but I would add the venturis

Aninjatemyshoe explained below

Exactly
Ohh okay now i get it
Thank you Gresham and aninjatemyshoe

-10g. frag tank (soon)

Current Tank Info: 90g. Reef, 30g. Cube cuttlefish reef
Fishfreak218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2010, 08:00 PM   #129
fullmonti
now is the time

Is the Danny Dame recipe from page one still a good choice, or has some variation proven to work out better?

fullmonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2010, 03:08 PM   #130
fullmonti
now is the time

I know you posted another recipe, but no amounts/proportions or mixing info of the ingredients.

Last edited by fullmonti; 08/20/2010 at 03:34 PM.
Unread 08/20/2010, 07:15 PM   #131
Aquabacs
Registered Member

This link might be what you are looking for:
http://stonyreef.com/blog/2008/feedi...ellate-corals/

Mike

FM UltraLith system since 7.3.08

Current Tank Info: 50 gallon rimless non-photosynthetic
Aquabacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2010, 07:34 PM   #132
fullmonti
now is the time

That is the recipe of Danny Dames I was referring to. It has the most detailed info on mixing & amounts I've been able to find. Fauna Marin still has not put out there nps feeding manual. So I was wondering if that recipe was the best place to start, or if some variation has been found to be better?

Unread 08/20/2010, 08:03 PM   #133
Aquabacs
Registered Member

What corals are you looking to exactly feed? What way would you like to dispense the foods?

Unread 08/20/2010, 08:21 PM   #134
fullmonti
now is the time

I'm about to start a build thread, but the short answers would be gorgonians, & carnation type corals mostly. I am self employed & home a lot so my plan is to feed manually many times a day. I'm thinking alternating frozen mini cubes of a FM mix & several dif kinds of liquid & dry foods.
Thanks
Jim

Unread 08/20/2010, 08:53 PM   #135
Aquabacs
Registered Member

You can do a modified version of that for cubes:

•3/8 tsp frozen cyclopeeze
•3/8 tsp Fauna Marin UltraLife
•3/8 tsp Fauna Marin Ultra MinF
•3/8 tsp FM Ultra Sea Fan
•3/8 tsp FM Ultra Clam
•2.5ml FM’s MinS
freeze them and feed the Reef Nutrition foods seperate.

One thing that I do is make Pac cubes by themselves. I make a tray or two of the cubes and keep them in a freezer bag. You can then use the Pac whatever way you want or if you dont mind leaving it out on the table (not freezing it) you can do that as well.

Unread 08/20/2010, 09:11 PM   #136
fullmonti
now is the time

That seems similar & simpler recipe. I assume you are mixing these & let them set in refrigerator over nite then freezing?

And by Pac cubes do you mean Ultra Pac mix like Dannys recipe but just not mixing the two of them together for some reason?

Unread 08/20/2010, 09:43 PM   #137
Aquabacs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonti View Post
That seems similar & simpler recipe. I assume you are mixing these & let them set in refrigerator over nite then freezing?

I mix the Pac in a magic bullet blender. Let it sit, once it is clear and no clumps, mix all the foods then freeze.

And by Pac cubes do you mean Ultra Pac mix like Dannys recipe but just not mixing the two of them together for some reason?

Correct. Dont be afraid to experiment. Example: couple cubes of Pac with Oysterfeast, Shelfish Diet, Rotifeast direct feed to a Dendronephthya. You see how that particular coral likes it then adjust the feed as needed. More witchcraft than science

Unread 08/20/2010, 10:00 PM   #138
fullmonti
now is the time

OK thanks for your input! I figure the more I can learn about this up front the less chance of torturing the livestock later.

If any one else has an extra 2 cents they would like to add feel free.

Unread 08/23/2010, 07:43 PM   #139
uhuru
Registered Member

Danny Dame has stated that most of his Dendronephthya shrunk and withered away over an 8 month period. We don't know whether this is natural, a result of inappropriate nutrition, or simply insufficient quantities of food. Like Aquabacs said, don't be afraid to experiment, but please share whatever you do and learn with the rest of us so that we can continue to build on it. Also keep in mind there may be species differences. What works for one may not work for the other. You see Dendronephthya everywhere from arctic waters, to temperate reefs, to tropical coral reefs right next to SPS where they may be exposed to the air and hot sun for prolonged periods, and to mangrove lagoons growing right on mangrove branches.

uhuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2010, 08:00 AM   #140
capecoral
Registered Member

Hey... have not read the thread yet (soon!), but it sounds like my other one...
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1843241

Looks like a long lost twin bother

capecoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2010, 05:20 PM   #141
Aquabacs
Registered Member

2.0 version of the refridgerated autofeeder

Mike

Unread 09/02/2010, 01:24 AM   #142
dainiusiva
Registered Member

you are really advancing the dark side of reef keeping.what do you plan on next? water autochanger?

dainiusiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2010, 10:19 AM   #143
uhuru
Registered Member

Low quality video of venturi feeder in action with my new fridge. Please turn up the volume so you can hear the venturi "sucking." The louder sound is the magnetic stirrer. Couple other things to note:

1) Yes I know the plumbing is crooked. I took it straight from my original setup which used a larger fridge, and it didn't quite fit in this fridge as well. Oh well, it works great and doesn't take away from the aesthetics of the tanks, and thats all that matters to me.

2) I use individual pumps which has its pros and cons. The pumps can run at the same time, this doesn't seem to cause any problems but I did change the program on my RKL so that they come on staggered 10 minutes apart. I am just testing here but I dose SD, RF and a mixture of frozen/dry foods every hour. The frozen/dry foods are mixed in the flask by a magnetic stirrer, which comes on at the same time as the pump. I also added an air pump in case the stirrer jams or fails the food still gets stirred. The entire flask is dosed within 12 hours. That's about 1.2L, or a ton of food! But it also feeds the fishes. This works GREAT for the fishes BTW. They pretty much just pick at food from the water column all day and get fat. Great for my anthias and OSFF. I dose OF every 8 hours as it tends to kill the skimmer for at least 2-3 hrs.

3) Aquabacs (Mike) really discovered the best fridge to use for this IMO. It keeps everything cooler than my compressor fridge did and uses very little electricity (less than a standard light bulb according to the box). From what I can tell it uses large computer fans. You can get it online from Staples with free 1 day shipping if you pick up in store.

Pics coming after video:

Unread 09/05/2010, 10:56 AM   #144
uhuru
Registered Member

How I drilled through this fridge (Avanti 1.7 cu. ft.) and narrowly avoided another disaster:

1) Using the correctly sized hole saw, very carefully drill only through the THIN plastic lining on the inside of the fridge where you plan to run the pipe through.

2) Using a large flat head screwdriver or spoon, gently scoop out the insulation all the way through until you get to the metal sheet on the other side.

3) Look inside the hole carefully to ensure that there are no wires or pipes in the way. Then use the hole saw again to drill through the metal. Make sure you use a hole saw designed to drill through metal. Here you can see how I avoided shredding up a wire using this method. The wire is probably connected to the light switch. The light switch also controls whether the fridge turns on or off - so if you destroy the wire, you have no working fridge.

Finished product. Crowded, but I can still get in there and change out the flask or bottles easily. In case you're wondering why 4 pumps and only 3 bottles, behind the bottle of RF is a bottle of OF.

Unread 09/05/2010, 11:05 AM   #145
slapshot
Registered Member

Oh I was so going to get on you about the crooked pipe. That looks great. I can't wait to hear if you notice a difference in your animals. Keep up the great work!

slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2010, 11:30 AM   #146
uhuru
Registered Member

Haha, I bet it is kind of irritating to look at for some of you neat freaks - but hey, the fridge door stays closed 99% of the time and looks great otherwise

I think the biggest difference I'm going to see is better water quality, less problems with pathogenic bacteria, infections, algae outbreaks, etc. Really the biggest benefit of all this is that the food stays fresh for as long as possible. Second is much easier maintenance since bottles will last for weeks. I know Gresham doesn't support mixing of the frozen and dry foods with water but still it's gotta be better than doing it at room temperature which I have been doing for a long time (and I've been dealing with mysterious bacterial infections in my tank for a long time).

Unread 09/05/2010, 11:45 AM   #147
slapshot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuru View Post
I know Gresham doesn't support mixing of the frozen and dry foods with water .
He doesn't? Why?

Unread 09/05/2010, 12:40 PM   #148
uhuru
Registered Member

It starts breaking down as soon as it goes into the water.

Unread 09/05/2010, 09:15 PM   #149
slapshot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuru View Post
It starts breaking down as soon as it goes into the water.
Understanding where he works and his loyaties (and I use a lot of their products) but how would you then feed dry food? drop it into the tank dry?

Unread 09/05/2010, 09:29 PM   #150
uhuru
Registered Member

Yes Mike feeds dry foods that way and Claude as well. I used to do it that way but since I also want to feed frozen cyclopeeze and nutramar ova throughout the day this is the most practical way at this time. Maybe Gresham should look into doing a preserved/suspended cyclopeeze product and ova product! I currently buy my frozen food in bulk, saves me a ton of money. For my dream tank build in the future I will have a freezer above the tank functioning as a surge tank.