Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2011, 03:22 PM   #51
moliken
Registered Member

have clams yet. ya know, there's abso no guarantee that you can actually make them spawn.

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
moliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2011, 03:30 PM   #52
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

working on it, i have to get all the equipment and food sources first. Been dealing with finals this week.

BluScrnOdeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2011, 07:02 AM   #53
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

ok, Finals are over as of Saturday. Time to get this going again. Algae Depot. kind of expensive, carries a live pure strain Iso G strain of algae. The Key, yet difficult to culter, strain of algae for this project. I'm ordering it today along with some other filters so i can "wash" the algae before putting the fertilized algae into the clean clam breeding tank.

I havent had time yet to type up a plan of how i'm going to do it but i hope to by next weekend. I have some work on my website to get done.

I will be ordering a microscope next weekend as well. That should give me some time to get the Iso G strain to grow more. Then I'll finish buying the other equipment (buckets, filters, etc) then i'll hunt down some clams.

Unread 03/24/2011, 07:33 AM   #54
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

I'll have to postpone this project for just a couple weeks. Ordered the supplies for my tank i'm building, should have it sometime next week. Been waiting on FAF to see if they can get any more ISO G in because i was wanting to order their measuring system and F/2 fertilizer all in one shot but they said it could be a little while till they will have any more.

Unread 03/28/2011, 05:27 AM   #55
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

Just another update.

On Friday i recieved my ISO G. According to FAF directions, it could take up to two weeks for this stuff to start populating. Hopefully i dont have to wait that long. But once i get it to be a stable growth, i will then order the microscope and hunt then hunt for the clams as i think i have everything else now that i need.

Unread 04/03/2011, 10:04 AM   #56
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

Sorry for the long wait for a post. Still trying to get this ISO G algae to cultivate. Its only been a week and i dont see much of a sign that its growing. So maybe it'll take another week. I'll post again on friday-sunday to let you know of any updates. If i cant get this stuff to grow, i think i might just go ahead with finding some bigger clams and atempt to breed AFTER i make sure that they are healthy in my tank. So that may take a little while...

Unread 04/10/2011, 04:50 PM   #57
chrisv
Registered Member

I agree with others-- investing in even a modest microscope is 110% worth it. Actually i think its worth it for most serious hobbyists. if you had a scope, you could count sperm and eggs with a hemocytometer. I do a lot of cell culture for work and I've come to the conclusion that you can guess with ratios of suspended cells but you will have a better outcome if you control things a bit more closely. a microscope and a cell counter will also make your plankton culture a bit less voodoo-like. good results come with optimization.

neat project! good luck!

chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2011, 04:56 PM   #58
chrisv
Registered Member

oh one other question-- I'm not sure if many people have looked into the species of zooxanthellae that inhabit clam mantels vs those that inhabit corals, and i dont know exactly when the young clams take up their symbiotes. It was my impression that they took up the zooxanthellae after settling. If this is the case, I would do two things after they settle. First, I would grind up some SPS coral frags, cut the filtration for a SHORT while and add the slurry to your grow out tank. they dont need to be nice ones. the color comes from the corals attempt to control the light that gets to the zooxanthellae, not the zooxanthellae itself. Then after you have turned the filters back on and cleared the tank I would add as many adult clams as you can to the tank. who knows how much zooxanthellae is shed by the adults as part of their normal physiology.

Unread 04/10/2011, 05:29 PM   #59
franklypre
Registered Member

Just tinkle in the water, clams love it.

franklypre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2011, 06:24 PM   #60
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

Yeah. I'm going to get a microscope. I'm having trouble right now with getting my ISO galbana populating. I think I had some contamination because the bottle is turning green and not brown....

Unread 04/14/2011, 10:30 PM   #61
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

Yeah, def some contamination. I'll be ordering, AGAIN, another batch of algae

Unread 04/14/2011, 10:34 PM   #62
chrisv
Registered Member

the Celestron 44340 LCD Digital LDM Biological Microscope is available quite cheaply on amazon and would allow you to take lots of cool pics to post i bought one for my cousin and he loves it.

Unread 04/14/2011, 10:38 PM   #63
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

wow, that is really cool. I think i might go ahead and pick one of those up. What do you think moliken?
Celestron

Unread 04/14/2011, 10:47 PM   #64
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

nm, that scope got some pretty bad reviews on quality

Unread 04/15/2011, 12:19 AM   #65
crsaz
Moved On

A good scope will be 3x that price.

this place has tons of very useful equipment.
http://www.carolina.com/category/equ...microscopes.do

crsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2011, 04:20 AM   #66
ousnakebyte
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv View Post
oh one other question-- I'm not sure if many people have looked into the species of zooxanthellae that inhabit clam mantels vs those that inhabit corals,
It's primarily clade A3.

Unread 04/15/2011, 05:07 AM   #67
moliken
Registered Member

dunno nada bout no microscopes. just tridacnids

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
Unread 04/15/2011, 08:34 AM   #68
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

Ended up buying this. Goes up to 400x so it will cover a wide range of projects.

Unread 04/23/2011, 03:14 PM   #69
Junz
Registered Member

any updates ?

Junz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2011, 04:52 PM   #70
moliken
Registered Member

been a week...

Unread 04/23/2011, 08:00 PM   #71
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

sorry guys. Been building my new tank, LED lights, just got my microsocope in a couple days ago. I'm going to be ordering more ISO G. (keep forgetting to do this) on Monday as i had some contamination somehow in the last batch that i made.

If i want the little guys to live, i think that it's perty vital to have this type of algae. I thought about just using the paste stuff i can put in the water, but i'm not sure how well that will work out.

Unread 04/29/2011, 11:37 AM   #72
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

Sorry guys, currently this project has taken president over this one, but as soon as i get these done, then i will start on the clam breeding.

LED Build
Plywood Build

i have to build two more LED units and finish the tank, then i'll be on track again with this one.

Unread 07/13/2011, 07:35 AM   #73
fote03
Registered Member

Cool project hope it works out for you!

Unread 07/13/2011, 03:22 PM   #74
moliken
Registered Member

happnin or not happnin????

Unread 08/14/2011, 06:36 AM   #75
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

Sorry, I work at WPAFB in Dayton ohio, so its a contrat job, they kept giving us 3-6mo extentions so i wanst sure if i was going to have a job or not. But the company i did work for lost the contract, a new company bought it and I'm waiting for the transition to happen by the end of the month by which then i will buy a big clam to try this out.

I have been trying to find a clam larger than 6" but they seem to be a little scarce around here, so i might have to get one of them that are around 4" and let it grow for a while.

I also have been debating on propogating phyto since i was having such issues with Iso G or just buying some in a jar..... I think i'll do it that way, lot less time consuming.

be patient, i got a lot of other aquatic projects going on as well. I'll be getting some Berghia Nudibranches to see how well they do at exterminating aiptasia. I was also experimenting with other color LEDs (a project Cutter Electronics sponsored for me), plus i have a family and go to school.