Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2017, 09:30 PM   #1
Hardwerk
Registered Member

ORP going from 220 to 300 in 2 days

I'm missing my anemone. Worried he's dead. ORP any indication?

All water parameters are solid as of yesterday. I would think my ammonia would spike. I'm just wondering if maybe the ORP might be telling me my ammonia is about to spike. Or, don't worry about it.

People say to ignore the number but just notice fluctuations. I'd say this is a fluctuation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hardwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 09:34 AM   #2
earwicker7
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure ORP would drop if something died, but I am not an expert... I have an ORP meter, but since I am not yet using ozone, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to it. It dips after water changes, but is otherwise pretty steady.

earwicker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 10:04 AM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I never really know what to do with ORP. It's one of those things I've measured for decades, but never actually done anything about since I stopped using ozone (in about 1995). I also see no apparent correlation between a particular number and the health of my tank. On occasion when the number suddenly drops, I'm unable to offer a cogent explanation of why - so I do nothing . I've also never seen ammonia spikes from 'normal' deaths - a fish, or two, or an invert. I guess it depends on how large your anemone was compared to system size.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Hardwerk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwerk View Post
I'm missing my anemone. Worried he's dead. ORP any indication?

All water parameters are solid as of yesterday. I would think my ammonia would spike. I'm just wondering if maybe the ORP might be telling me my ammonia is about to spike. Or, don't worry about it.

People say to ignore the number but just notice fluctuations. I'd say this is a fluctuation.

Found my anemone. I had to move all of my rock out to get to him but I got him. And, I got a pretty sweet new aquascape!

So, I guess the orp shooting up ~25% didn't mean anything. I looked back in time and it drops ~2% on water changes but that's the only thing I can correlate to it's changes. Other changes (not that there are many or when it does it's significant other than this time) don't coincide with anything else such as adding LS or time since last water change or temperature, etc....

So, as everybody has always said - more proof the number is worthless to track. But, as we all know, we're still going to track it.

Hardwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 02:03 PM   #5
ktownhero
Registered Member

I can't make any sense out of my ORP readings. Mine fluctuates between like 410 and 440 daily.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 02:28 PM   #6
2una
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
I can't make any sense out of my ORP readings. Mine fluctuates between like 410 and 440 daily.
It swings the opposite to your ph

OP - Didn't just change your carbon or anything like that?

2una is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2017, 09:37 AM   #7
Optionman
Registered Member

here's a graph of my ORP based on apex probe for past week. the upward spike corresponds to a change in bagged carbon in sump.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3363.jpg (31.6 KB, 13 views)
Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote