Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2017, 09:48 AM   #1
TYC
Registered Member

Anyone attended Reef-A-Palooza NY?

Has anyone attended past Reefapalooza NY (Meadowlands) and if so how was it? Doesn't look like there are too many vendors participating, is it worth going?

TYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 10:38 AM   #2
soulpatch
Registered Member

Reefapalooza NY is more of a very large frag swap. There are some vendors to get some cool things from but the show floor is mainly coral sales.

Been there the past few years and likely going again this year. Its cool to see people and a wide array of corals and such. If you want vendors and manufactorers then start to hope that MACNA comes East coast again or be willing to travel.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 10:42 AM   #3
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Reefapalooza NY is more of a very large frag swap. There are some vendors to get some cool things from but the show floor is mainly coral sales.

Been there the past few years and likely going again this year. Its cool to see people and a wide array of corals and such. If you want vendors and manufactorers then start to hope that MACNA comes East coast again or be willing to travel.
I had very limited time at RAP last year, like 60 minutes limited, but have the same impression. I'm within driving distance and plan on spending a bit of time there this year.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Optionman
Registered Member

I went last year for first time. I went few hours before closing and it was more like a super high end frag show, though I'm sure there were worthwhile presentations that I missed. Got some good deals and met AI reps so I was able to discuss my connection issues with hydra Hd LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 11:24 AM   #5
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:

yeah, wish MACNA would come to East Coast too.

Unread 04/24/2017, 11:26 AM   #6
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
I had very limited time at RAP last year, like 60 minutes limited, but have the same impression. I'm within driving distance and plan on spending a bit of time there this year.
woa, that's a long drive!

Unread 04/24/2017, 11:27 AM   #7
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionman View Post
... more like a super high end frag show,...
so in other words very expensive frags and no bargains?

Unread 04/24/2017, 11:41 AM   #8
Optionman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYC View Post
so in other words very expensive frags and no bargains?

Great deals as closing time approached. Vendors didn't want to take stuff home so I low-balled and got some good bargains.

Unread 04/24/2017, 12:00 PM   #9
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Great deals as closing time approached. Vendors didn't want to take stuff home so I low-balled and got some good bargains.

That's what I like to hear!... gonna try to attend on Sun. How many hours did it take to walk around the whole show?

Unread 04/24/2017, 12:28 PM   #10
Optionman
Registered Member

Not even an hour, wasn't as large as I had anticipated. Major vendors had some samples and plenty of equipment sellers as well as frags. Definitely worth a visit.

Unread 04/24/2017, 02:13 PM   #11
FishN00b83
Registered Member

My wife and I were going to go and pick up from frags, but it seems like a little bit of a far drive. Long Island to the Meadowlands to pick up a few pieces of overpriced coral doesn't sound like the best idea. They'd probably be half dead by the time I got home.

Unread 04/24/2017, 02:22 PM   #12
Joe0813
Registered Member

Trying to decide whether to go...if it's mostly frags I'm not really that interested

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 04:55 PM   #13
soulpatch
Registered Member

Mostly frags but plenty of deals to be had and great prices on many. If you are in market for corals it is very worthwhile. If you are looking for equipment or seminars not so much

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 04/24/2017, 05:54 PM   #14
Optionman
Registered Member

I'm going again this year even though I'm not looking to buy many corals, if any. Would definitely recommend attending once, and bring a cooler or something to transport anything you might end up getting. Plenty of supplies and equipment available too.

Unread 04/25/2017, 07:08 AM   #15
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Not even an hour, wasn't as large as I had anticipated. Major vendors had some samples and plenty of equipment sellers as well as frags. Definitely worth a visit.

Oh, that's a pretty small show...still gonna try to attend and get some corals. Hopefully w more visitors show will grow.

Unread 04/25/2017, 07:26 AM   #16
Optionman
Registered Member

less than 1 hour may have been a little understatement, sorry. here's the 2017 floor plan that i found online.

http://www.reefapaloozashow.net/wp-c...7_4_18np-2.pdf

Unread 04/25/2017, 07:28 AM   #17
soulpatch
Registered Member

I normally spend at least a few hours making my first pass through but then I take tiem to look at corals and talk to vendors. Typically there for about 5-6 hours I would say then I go have drinks and such.

Unread 04/25/2017, 07:59 AM   #18
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
less than 1 hour may have been a little understatement, sorry. here's the 2017 floor plan that i found online.

http://www.reefapaloozashow.net/wp-c...7_4_18np-2.pdf
Thanks. Looks like shows grown and there are more vendors this year and more than an hour of walking around!

Unread 04/25/2017, 08:00 AM   #19
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
I normally spend at least a few hours making my first pass through but then I take tiem to look at corals and talk to vendors. Typically there for about 5-6 hours I would say then I go have drinks and such.

Unread 04/25/2017, 09:33 AM   #20
steallife904
Registered Member

I will be at the Orlando one next week! I cant wait! I go every year. maybe its different than the NY one but I always get good deals and this is the place to find stuff you don't normally see at your LFS.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 03:28 PM   #21
Joe0813
Registered Member

maybe I will drag the wife there. worst case its not that good and we go to the long island aquarium

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 09:42 PM   #22
Desert Sea
Registered Member

I went last year as I was trying to see what was out there for equipment for my new tank. Show is definitely more geared toward coral sales but I enjoyed it none the less. Not sure if I'll go this year or not as I'm still without a tank.

If corals are what your after, I would suggest you try going to the Frag Farmers Market held up in Storrs, Ct. There are way more coral vendors there than at RAP from what I could tell and you will probably find better deals.

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 07:09 AM   #23
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Sea View Post
I went last year as I was trying to see what was out there for equipment for my new tank. Show is definitely more geared toward coral sales but I enjoyed it none the less. Not sure if I'll go this year or not as I'm still without a tank.

If corals are what your after, I would suggest you try going to the Frag Farmers Market held up in Storrs, Ct. There are way more coral vendors there than at RAP from what I could tell and you will probably find better deals.
Looks like the Frag Farmers Market was in March though. Thanks for the heads up, maybe next year I'll check it out but Storrs, CT is a bit far for me. Hopefully I can make it to the RAP and compare notes as far as # of vendors.

Unread 04/26/2017, 08:51 AM   #24
Oberst Oswald
Registered Member

I went last year, for the 1st time, Saturday when it opened with a heavy wallet and left in the afternoon about $475.00 lighter. Lots to see, talk, learn and buy if you spend the time. Advice is if you want the best coral is to get there early on Saturday and the best deals will be on Sunday afternoon. Worth the trip but traffic can be a hassle but parking not so bad. Will be there this year for sure...

Oberst Oswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 09:15 AM   #25
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberst Oswald View Post
I went last year, for the 1st time, Saturday when it opened with a heavy wallet and left in the afternoon about $475.00 lighter. Lots to see, talk, learn and buy if you spend the time. Advice is if you want the best coral is to get there early on Saturday and the best deals will be on Sunday afternoon. Worth the trip but traffic can be a hassle but parking not so bad. Will be there this year for sure...
lol, good info, thx. Recently upgraded tank so looking to fill with corals.