Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2009, 07:56 PM   #1
spleify
Registered Member

Introduce yourself!!

Hi all, I have noticed a lot of new members on the local forum here lately. It’s great to see so many new folks getting(sucked) into the hobby!

Well I thought it would be nice if we all shared a little bit about ourselves and our tank(s).

My name is Leif and I have been into saltwater tanks for 6 years now. I have had a fresh water tank of some sort since I was about 11. I absolutely love this hobby and its ever changing and challenging aspects.

My current tanks are a 55 In-Wall (little red house) and a 65 Gal cube

The 55 has been set up(and tore down and set up and tore down and set up) for 6 years now and it mostly LPS and softie. The cube is 9 months old and is mostly SPS.

I don’t know what else to say. Just wanted to welcome the new and old folks to introduce themselves so we might know a little more about our friends and piers.

Spleify

Current Tank Info: 60 gal SPS cube, with 25 gal refugium, 400W MH, DIY Lumenarc III, DIY skimmer, DIY stand and canopy. 40 breeder LPS with 40 gallon sump, DIY stand, 250W MH
spleify is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Off The Deep End
Moved On

Hi all my name is Dillon and i have been in the hobby for about 4 years now. I just recently had to part ways with my 180g acrylic rr tank but im still up and running my 135g cube tank 30" x 36" x 28".

A little about myself, i work on semi trucks by day and race cars by night(57 chevy promod)(57performancemarketing.com)WE WERE IN PINKS!!!! As you can see i have alot on my plate, oh wait throw in my loving wife(Amber) my daughter(Zienna) and my son(Houlton) That makes me real busy so i love to relax next to my tank. ok ok enough of my babble on with the show. To all the newbys WELCOME!!!

Off The Deep End is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2009, 10:43 PM   #3
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 135 gallon reef
Hi all my name is Dillon and i have been in the hobby for about 4 years now. I just recently had to part ways with my 180g acrylic rr tank but im still up and running my 135g cube tank 30" x 36" x 28".

A little about myself, i work on semi trucks by day and race cars by night(57 chevy promod)(57performancemarketing.com)WE WERE IN PINKS!!!! As you can see i have alot on my plate, oh wait throw in my loving wife(Amber) my daughter(Zienna) and my son(Houlton) That makes me real busy so i love to relax next to my tank. ok ok enough of my babble on with the show. To all the newbys WELCOME!!!
Thats bad!!!

I gotta drag my crippled butt out to a race this year. Been too long.

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2009, 10:48 PM   #4
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

OK I'll play

I'm Grim, I mean Steve

About 6 years in reefs, 40 years freshwater off and on.

My day "job" is playing with reef lighting, If I had a real job I wouldn't have time to do what I do.

I have a 105 gallon system that is really taking off aside from a nasty algae issue I am barely starting to turn the tables on.

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
Unread 01/19/2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Off The Deep End
Moved On

Grim i get free tix to bandimere i will let you know when i have some so you can go on me! sorry didn't mean to steal the thread, you may proceed...

Off The Deep End is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 12:58 AM   #6
68sting
Registered Member

Well my name is Lance and I have 2 years experience in salt but have been out for the last 7 years. Just building a 215 starphire inwall with my basement finish. I have been reading up for about a year now and will hopefully get some water in my tank in the next two or three weeks(I'm getting a little excited). I'm going to run 2 mpw40 vortechs, 3 400 halides, G4 skimmer, and a 75gal sump. I guess I should also add I have a 68 Corvette with a 509BB, 2 kids(Collin and Gabby) and a very supportive wife named Stacy.

68sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 07:14 AM   #7
spleify
Registered Member

Awesome setep 68sting!!

Keep us posted on the progress.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal SPS cube, with 25 gal refugium, 400W MH, DIY Lumenarc III, DIY skimmer, DIY stand and canopy. 40 breeder LPS with 40 gallon sump, DIY stand, 250W MH
Unread 01/20/2009, 09:27 AM   #8
sscherin
Registered Member

HI I'm Scott and I've been Salt free for 10 months.. Sadly I've had a relapse and brought home a 55 gallon tank. It's just a matter of time until I'm salty again..

I've been a salt addict for 10 years.. I have quit a few times but it always pulls you back in.. It's that Craigs list I tell ya.. It's the tool of the devil!

I lived in Denver for 5 years and moved to Washington this Summer.
The Colorado Reef crowd can't be beat so I still hang here

Current Tank Info: 14gal construction zone
sscherin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 09:55 AM   #9
12gallonbaby
Registered Member

Ok I guess Ill say something about myself. My name is Rachelle and I am a freshman up at CU Boulder and I have my 12 gal AP up with me. I started salt water when my boyfriend bought me a tank as a christmas present and lets just say from there I have only gotten more hooked. Lets see I am a premed/prenursing major... oh and I think I should tell you I love clams! haha I have 3!

12gallonbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 12:06 PM   #10
jasonh
Registered Member

I'll play.

I'm Jason. My wife and I got into saltwater about a year and a half ago, and I've been doing fresh since '04 (haven't had a fresh in a year though).

I used to live in Phoenix and had a 70g mixed reef. Moved to Longmont last March with my livestock in the care of a friend. Well he had a tank crash so all that livestock bit the dust, and I never got around to setting up the 70g here. We set up a 15g nano and got it cycling, but then decided to take a break from the hobby for a bit.

That didn't last long. We set up a new 20g in September. It has had a few problems, but is recovering nicely. Currently only has some zoas, a couple small candycanes, and a small RBTA, plus a pair of onyx clowns, scooter blenny (doing amazingly well since September btw), and a cleaner shrimp.

Just realized I don't have any pics, heh.

http://www.jasonhight.net

Current Tank Info: Nothing right now. When I stop being poor, I'll set up another.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 07:12 PM   #11
spleify
Registered Member

Welcome everyone, and nice to learn about you folks.

Ok, I know there are more of you out there old and new, c'mon lets hear from you.

Unread 01/20/2009, 07:30 PM   #12
rjmim
Registered Member

Hi, I am Rod. I have had a fish tank for the past 15 years and just went back to saltwater about 8 months ago. I am new to the forum so I hope to learn alot. I work from home so I have my 135 gallon tank in my home office and I can watch it all day. It is great when it is snowing outside.

rjmim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 07:36 PM   #13
kdblove_99
Registered Member

My name is Davey and I am an addict
I need to get some Pics of the tank. Its a custom 108 gallon cube. starphire all around. 30x30x28. I have been reefing since Feb 06. so close to 3 yrs. did freshwater for 10 yrs before finally making the plundge to salt!~

I moved to Longmont 6 weeks ago from Northern California, Job transfer. My wife and i love it here so far. We have a 15 month old and a 2 month old.

kdblove_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 07:42 PM   #14
Kieth71
Registered Member

Hi,my name is Kieth and i have been into fish tanks since i was a kid.I only did freshwater when i was younger but i always dreamed about setting up a saltwater tank when i had some room and money to do it.I set up my first saltwater tank in 2001 when i bought a 55g setup from neptunes.It was a fowlr with a amiracle wet/dry.I had this running pretty good but i then wanted a bigger tank(sound familier?I went and bought a 100g tank with a wet/dry again from sherman tank company when they had the big shop.I set it up but soon after decided i didnt have enough time so it all went into storage including the 55g.I started to reset up the 100g this summer and bought some new stuff including a skimmer and some powerheads.I turned the wet/dry into my sump and its been going pretty good so far.

Kieth71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2009, 09:26 AM   #15
runningstix
Registered Member

Hi, my name is Steve aka Stix, by day I am an Architect. I have been in the hobby for 1 year and 3 months. It all started out as a trip to petco to replace a beta for my wife. I secretly hated the fish and said why not get a couple clowns instead. We started with a 46g bowfront and upgraded exactly a year after to a 58g. I also have a 10g black and white clown tank with all the coral my wife likes that is not allowed in the main tank.
My wife Ashley is becoming more of an addict every day. Some of you have met her, she deals with tetraselmis phyto, by day she is a cytogenetic technician. (chromosome analysis)

I've met a lot of good friends through this group and hope to meet more.

Im also looking forward to the day we get rid of our condo to upgrade once again!

Besides saltwater, I enjoy hiking, backpacking, camping, 14ers, running, and snowboarding. I also have two crazy boxers that never slow down.

Current Tank Info: tankless
runningstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2009, 12:17 PM   #16
icantremember
Premium Member

Hi, my name is Jeremy. I have had fish tank since I can ever remember (all fresh water). My younger brother had a couple of salt water tank that I drew interest towards about 5 years ago. I ended up buying a 300 gallon for my first tank. It's been a fun ride so far.

I just finished moving the tank from our old house to a new house. Built it in-wall and it's running nicely now. I'll have to take some pictures this weekend.

I am in the point-of-sale industry, my fiance TinaMay is wrapping up her Bachelor's degree right now. We have two labs and find the tank is a calming relief to life's hectic cards.

icantremember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2009, 12:34 PM   #17
goslugsgo
Registered Member

Hi, I'm Chris. I'm a Cancer and I like long walks on the beach and quality champagne. I've been in the hobby for almost six months now with a 65 wide tank (36"Lx24"Wx17"H) housing a mixed reef, two spawning orchid dottybacks named Ty and Dot, and a tiger goby named Goby Goby Goby. Other housemates include KP the behaviorally challenged cat and Zach, an iguana that puts up with it all with aplomb.

My wife, Christie, is slowly getting sucked in and has recently turned her back on her environmental engineer sensibilities and now embraces the dark side of wild-caught livestock. (AFT)
I'm told that pretty fish will do that.
We are now in the market for some sort of anthias to be named later.

goslugsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2009, 04:47 PM   #18
spleify
Registered Member

Nice to meet everyone, I know there are more of you out there. C'mon don't be bashful. Let us know more about you!

Unread 01/23/2009, 06:17 PM   #19
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Hi Spleify, I'm Grim but not Grimm.

Unread 01/23/2009, 07:11 PM   #20
spleify
Registered Member

LOL

Unread 01/23/2009, 10:15 PM   #21
stugray
Premium Member

Ok,

My member name is stugray, and my real name is...

Stuart Gray - Very creative.....

Anyway, I have been in the hobby for ~6 years.
I started with a 29 Gal. tank and put just live rock in it.
I managed to get some of the most Primo LR from Todd's in Aurora, and have been spoiled ever since. The life on the first two rocks I ever bought was amazing.

My wife & I were hooked before we ever bought any livestock.

We live in Longmont & have three children ages 10 - 23.

We bought our first fish for the 29G: A mandarin......

OK flame me now, we had no idea what we were doing & the LFS thought it was a great first fish..... START the Reef Central Obsession

After reading up on Mandarins, I immediately began switching our 75 Gal Fresh Water tank over to SW. The Mandarin had a new home in a month or so.

Long story short: That Mandarin was one of my longest living fish & made it over 5 years, 2 tank moves & two females.

Anyway, I now have a 125Gal Display with ~170 Gallons of Sump/refugium in the basement.

Mostly SPS & LPS with about 10 fish: Splendid Pseudo, Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Lubboks Wrasse, 3X Pajama Cardinals, 2X False Percs, Mandarin. 2X cleaner shrimp. Assorted cleanup crew.

My 29Gal little experiment has become an obsession.

Since I have started this hobby, I believe I have become a master of 'projects yet to be completed' ;-).

Some of the things I have learned since I started this hobby are: Acrylic, Plumbing, Woodwork, Electrical, Fragging, & "Begging the wife for forgiveness".

I am grateful that my wife loves the hobby as much as I do.

I am currently away from my tank for 2 months & cant stand it.

When I am not working on the tank, I build spacecraft in my spare time.

Stu

Well, We KNOW GOD exists, but for US to exist without a GOD is preposterous….Umm wait a minute…. Sounds a bit circular to me…

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. display w/80 gal mud/caulerpa sump. Basement sump w/ LED Grow Light,Gravity fed Reeflo200 skimmer w/ ORCA Recirc, DIY calc reactor & kalk stirrer. Inline plumbed 75 Gal frag/settling tank.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2009, 12:53 AM   #22
"Umm, fish?"
Premium Member

Hi! I'm Andy. I'm a work-at-home typesetter and have been at my job for 15 or so years now, so I spend a lot of time dreaming and playing with sea creatures when I should really be working.

I just started pouring salt into my new system and am in the process of moving back into my beloved home after a year-and-a-half away.

My goal as a reefkeeper is to keep everything in my tanks so happy that they all give me babies. My secondary goal is to pretty much spend all my free time trying to raise all of the babies.

Thanks!

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats

Current Tank Info: ~480 gal. display, ~1,400 gal. system
"Umm, fish?" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2009, 12:48 PM   #23
mhaith
Registered Member

aloha!

My name is Michael and I had a 55g for 13 years with PCs, I had a crash when I moved 2 years ago and my wife implored me to get a bigger tank.

Long story short I found a FOWLER 210g with all the fixins but lights on Craigslist 14 months ago.

I decided to go mixed reef (inspired by the old Aquamart Mixed Reef) with little knowledge of the dramatic difference in equipment and husbandry needs from my old LPS, softie tank under PCs which in comparison, was incredibly forgiving.

Lots of RC time, $$$$$ and help from Cris C, Luis Rosa, Aquamart and everyone else here who has helped me through my many attempts to sabatoge my tank due to human error

Current Tank Info: 210 T5 SPS dom. mixed reef
mhaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2009, 06:57 PM   #24
zombiereef
Registered Member

My name is Keith

i have been into fish for 6 years. i got a 55g tank from a buddy at work and was big into cichlids. he kept trying to convince me to get a saltwater tank going, but i refused...for a while. i finally took the plunge and started a 20L reef. it was going pretty good, but with toddlers and a huge daily commute, it was getting too much for me so i tore it down after a year. i took a year off from reefing and did a lot of research. i have a 62 gallon reef now that is really doing great. it has been going for about nine months now. you can check my gallery for some pics. i have a bunch of frags i am growing out at the moment, so i dont have many large corals yet. i cant get enough of the reef. it's great, i can stare at the tank for hours. its amazing. always something new to see and discover.

Current Tank Info: no tanks currently. I dont miss it really.
zombiereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2009, 07:33 PM   #25
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Hola, my name is Mike.

I've lived in Denver since late 2001. Prior to that I was in Chicago for a year and a half but I grew up in Bloomington, Indiana (very underated place). My company cleans up hazardous waste. We specialize in groundwater cleanup. My primary role is the management and application of the costing tools we use on our at-risk proposals.

Started FW in 1984. Started FO saltwater in 1994. I've been a reefer since 1994 as well. By 1999 I had accumulated seven personal tanks (reef, FO salt, cichlids, and FW planted...500+ gals in total) and was maintaining six additional tanks for clients (300+ gals in total). I spent some time working at a few LFS's while in college. I took a year and a half off while I was in Chicago. At the moment I only have one tank but would really like to add another FW planted tank to the quiver again some day. I like corals, being a cheapskate, and DIY.

I've met a lot of great people and excellent reefers since moving to Denver. I'm continually impressed by the quality of the tanks I see around here. The Colorado reefing community should be proud of itself.

I have a build thread in the reef discussion forum here on RC that I don't update enough.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...4#post13465354

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube

Last edited by miwoodar; 01/29/2009 at 07:39 PM.
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote