Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2010, 11:16 PM   #1
WillLevantovsky
Registered Member

Talking Stocking A Predatory FOWLR Tank Questions... Grouper, Grouper, Grouper! :)

Hi!

i am slowly realizing more and more of how limited i am (fish wise) in my 55 gallon reef, therefore i am setting up a new 75 gallon predatory FOWLR grow out tank (not worried about fish getting to big as i have lots of friends with lots of big tanks) Its currently cyling with 100 lbs of Live rock and arag sand....

My main questions is- What is the most beautiful, not skittish AND PREDATORY Grouper that there is?

Also, what are some good tank mates for him? I was thinking A Fuzzy Dwarf lion and a niger trigger... any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Will

Unread 06/22/2010, 03:33 AM   #2
r2nj
Registered Member

I've had a number of groupers. I think the miniatis is the most beautiful. However, most naturally hide in rocks until feeding time. The only one that I know of that swims (more) freely is the panther grouper, which doesn't "act" or swim like your typical grouper. Less aggressive triggers and puffers are good tank mates.

One thing about groupers is they grow FAST! So I'd give your buddies a heads up (soon). It will quickly outgrow even your 75 gallon tank.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Mixed Reef, 125 Gallon frag tank, w/ 120 Gallon sump. Custom 195 Gallon FOWLR
r2nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 03:49 AM   #3
LisaD
That's not a salmon

IME most groupers are going to lurk in the rocks as shy fish.

I get attached to my fish, which is why I have been upgrading every few years.

Are you sure you want to spend a fair amount of money on fish that will quickly outgrow your tank?

If not, you should either get a larger tank to start with (minimum 125) or select smaller versions of the fish you want - e.g. filefish for trigger, basslet for grouper, dwarf lionfish.

For doing species research, wetwebmedia is a great site. Here is a link to some information on groupers:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/basses.htm

LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 07:52 AM   #4
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

I really like Lisa's suggestions. I "miniaturized" version of a predatory tank would be very cool, and satisfying for many years. Trust me, unloading large, predatory fish is not fun or easy, regardless of what your friends might say now

Have you considered hamlets? Kind of sort of grouper like, and stay relatievly small, and some have gorgeous colors!
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/hypoplec.htm

I recently saw a solid metallic blue one at a LFS - stunning!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 08:13 AM   #5
LisaD
That's not a salmon

My 55 gallon planted predator reef had:

Green wolf eel blenny (like an eel)
Marine betta (kind of a gorgeous grouper)
Hawaiian spotted sharpnose puffer
Leopard toby (another puffer)

LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 05:48 PM   #6
perfect_prefect
Registered Member

if you are dead set on a grouper i would have to recommend a honeycomb, it doesnt come out and swim around alot but if you arrange your rocks where it will be visible (use all large rocks and make visible caves) you will be able to see it all the time. it is a hell of a site to see it streak across a tank and grab food. its like a lightning bolt coming out of nowhere, they stay smaller and would be suited for a 75 gallon tank as long as you dont have very many (only 1-2) tankmates that cant fit in its mouth, and a powerful skimmer.

perfect_prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Eel Freak
Fimbriated Moray

If you must have one, I would have to suggest a Black-tip. They are a little on the aggressive side but don't get too large (mine seems to have peaked at 8")... Just have big tank-mates and a big skimmer.

Current Tank Info: 205g Mixed Reef - 3x Radion XR30w Gen 2, twin VorTechs, SRO-XP5000e, 50g estuary, 125g fuge, OM 4-way
Eel Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Snausy
Registered Member

Some people know by now I'm a puffer freak but I'll say it again. Get a puffer. Dogface puffers have some cool color-morphs and are much more fun to watch than groupers.

75g isn't much bigger than 55g. If you are talking groupers you should be thinking about 300g ime. Your 75 won't hold one for very long(relatively speaking).

Current Tank Info: 300gal FOWLR- Emperor Angel, Rainbow Wrasse, Green Bird Wrasse, Dogface Puffer, Niger Trigger, Flame Hawkfish, Matted Filefish 150 Turbosnails that only come out at night! :D
Snausy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fowlr, grouper, lion, niger, trigger